Mattress Protector for all-Latex mattress?

Dear Phoenix,

After reading many of your posts and tutorials we decided to purchase an all-Latex mattress from our top local retailer in Seattle, Bedrooms and More. ("Winslow’ brand). The mattress arrives in a few days and I am now searching for a good, cool, breathable, and very quiet mattress protector. I’ve read your post here: https://forum.mattressunderground.com/t/requesting-mattress-help-in-south-florida

But I would tremendously appreciate one or two recommendations by you. Since we paid a lot for the mattress we’d like to do a good job protecting it. The metrics as I mentioned is that the protector should not heat us up, should be very quiet, and generally long lasting/durable. I’ve looked at Luna and Protect a Bed, and Bedrooms and More has a wool protector for $164 too (appeared a little noisy in store).

Would greatly appreciate your recommendation!

Thanks very much
Paul

Hi texnote,

You certainly made a high quality and durable choice … and congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

I don’t have any personal experience with most of the hundreds of different mattress protectors on the market so I can’t make any specific suggestions or recommendations that would be meaningful.

Since there is no “perfect” mattress protector what I would suggest is to first decide on which general type of mattress protector would best meet your specific needs and preferences based on the pros and cons of each of the three main types (wool quilted cotton protectors, thin membrane type protectors, or stretch cotton protectors) and then use the specific descriptions, price, and comments and feedback from customers for each of them to help you decide between the many options in each general category and make a “best judgement” choice.

I have personally used the NaturaProtect Deluxe from Natura for about 5 years. It’s a wool/cotton protector similar to the one at Bedrooms & More but is still a little thicker than I would ultimately prefer for a protector and it also has a waterproof membrane which in retrospect I would probably avoid next time in favor of one like the St Dormeir or perhaps even a stretch knit cotton protector without wool which don’t have a membrane because I do sleep hot on some occasions. It’s washable but difficult to wash and takes about 3 cycles to dry in the dryer. It’s still in fairly good condition after about 5 years although it does show a little wear and staining.

I also recently purchased the Perlux mattress protector here for a guest bed and like most of the other protectors in this category it’s very thin and stretchy but I don’t have any long term experience about how well it will maintain its waterproof properties over time and for me personally (rather than for use on a guest bed) I tend to prefer a protector without a membrane even though it wouldn’t be waterproof … and of course other people may have very different preferences from my own.

Phoenix

Thank you Phoenix!

Are there stretch knit cotton protectors without wool and without a membrane that you can point me to? The Perlux looks good based on reviews, but it has a membrane, correct?

Hi texnote,

There are several stretch knit cotton protectors that are listed in the mattress protector reference post here.

The Perlux is one of the “thin membrane” types of protectors and does have a semi breathable membrane yes.

Phoenix