Mattress protector for latex mattress

My husband and I just bought a Jamison latex mattress (Opulence plush). We also bought a dri-tec mattress protector and after sleeping on it for 2 nights we find the mattress protector causes the mattress to be firm and stiff. I’m looking for recommendations for a mattress protector that won’t affect the feel of the actual mattress but still provide the necessary protection to keep the warranty in tact.

Hi npg,

There is more about the pros and cons of the different types of mattress protectors and some examples of each of them in post #89 here.

Your protector is one of the “thin membrane” types of protectors that are “mostly waterproof” and “semi breathable” and most people seem to do fairly well with them in terms of how they affect the “feel” of their mattress. I don’t have any personal experience with it and I’m not sure which of their protectors you have (they have several different protectors) but Dri-Tec protectors seem to have a disproportionate number of unhappy customers based on feedback and reviews I’ve seen compared to other similar protectors partly because there seems to be many cases where it’s waterproof properties didn’t last very long or didn’t work at all and partly because some people have said (like you) that it affects the “feel” of their mattress (and you can see some comments here and here from another forum member whose experience with the Dri-Tec protector that was sold at Sleepys was similar to yours).

It may be worth giving it a little longer or washing it to see if the fabric loses any of its stiffness that may be creating a “drum like” effect on your mattress which is interfering with the ability of the soft latex to contour to the shape of your body. Other than that … it may be worth replacing it with another similar protector made by a different manufacturer.

Hopefully some of the other members here that have a similar protector that they are happy with will see your post and share their comments and feedback but one of the things that I have noticed with these types of protectors in general is that even the ones that seem to work well for most people in terms of temperature and “feel” will also have a smaller percentage of people that don’t seem to like them nearly as much … possibly because some people are more sensitive to smaller changes in the feel or sleeping temperature of their mattress than others.

Phoenix

If you’re looking for waterproof capabilities but a product that doesn’t take away from the feel of your latex mattress, you might want to take a look at the Luxury line from Protectabed. It uses a very thin polyurethane membrane with a thinner fiber layer on top and is specifically appropriate for memory foam and latex mattresses. I’ve had very good success with this product on latex beds for myself and my clients. There certainly are other products available, but you’ll definitely want something that is thin and breathable.

Disclaimer: I am a retailer for Protectabed products.