Mattress Protector for Natural Latex Mattress?

First time poster here, I recently purchased an all natural Talalay Latex Mattress (here is the link for it: https://www.costco.com/Sleep-Science-12%26quot%3B-iFlip-Natural-Latex-Queen-Mattress-and-Q-Plus-Series-Adjustable-Base.product.100456224.html) from Sleep Science on Costco.com. I wanted to know whether you think this mattress would require a mattress protector? I called the manufacturer and was told by a customer service agent that it may not given that it already possesses an organic cotton mattress cover for it however I am not sure how knowledgeable they may be on this mattress. Do you believe that this requires a mattress protector and if so what kind (breathable, waterproof, etc.) and do you recommend any brands/types (made of a particular material) in particular? Appreciate the help everyone.

Hey richsass,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :).

Thanks for the post. I believe that a mattress protector is always a good idea to protect the mattress from stains and the normal moisture, body oils, and shedding skin that can lead to less hygienic conditions including the dust mite population in your mattress (not to mention protecting it from accidents). Mattress protectors are much easier to wash and keep clean than a mattress cover.

There are different types of protectors available depending on which of the tradeoffs are most important to you but the different types and their pros and cons and some sources for each are listed here in post 89.

Both the “waterproof” membrane type and the water-resistant wool type will protect against “accidents” from penetrating the protector (waterproof more effectively than water resistant) into the mattress below. Of course, where you buy the protector doesn’t matter as much as that you have one that is effective because many times the warranty doesn’t depend on which protector you buy … only that there are no stains on the mattress.

Thanks
Sensei