Mattress protector for really heat sensitive sleep

I used this site to buy a mattress about a year ago that I ended up being really happy with (thank Phoenix! you really helped me out). It turns out the mattress protectors I bought at the same time ain’t that good for me.

I’m using Phoenix’s post on mattress protectors here: Post #89.

The ones I bought last time are the first type Phoenix mentions. (I bought two of the same kind, so when I wash one I have another to use right away) They are the cheaper ones that are thin and have a waterproof membrane. About a week ago I was doing a bunch of work on laundry, getting out a bunch of stains, etc… And just ending up sleeping on my bad with just a mattress protector on top of it. It felt good. There’s kind of a fuzzy felt on top of the mattress protector. But I had a hard time falling asleep that night, had no idea what caused it. Second night had more trouble. And the third night didn’t fall asleep at all. My back was wet and I couldn’t figure out why I was so hot. That day I figured it must have been sleeping directly on the mattress protector.

I usually have a cotton sheet over the top of the mattress protector. And I guess that cotton sheet in between me and the mattress protector offers enough breathability that I don’t notice the mattress protector so much. But I’m really having trouble believing that if sleeping directly on the mattress protector flat out prevents me from sleeping, that even though adding a cotton sheet helps, I find it hard to believe it completely eliminates the problem of the mattress protector I’ve got. I always have intermittent problems sleeping, and I’m guessing the mattress protector hasn’t been a huge issue on a regular basis, but it has been there.

So, I’m looking at Phoenix’s post #89 linked above and thinking I need a more breathable (and more expensive) mattress protector.

From Phoenix’s descriptions, there are the ones I looked at, in order I looked at them:

#1 Natura Washable Cotton Fitted Mattress Pad (of Phoenix’s type 2 in post #89) - I have a firm mattress that I really love. But I figured it would be nice to have a little bit of wool cushion under me for something different. And this one does look a good deal and is machine washable which is a must for me. But if you look at the user reviews at the bottom of that page, everyone who owned it longer than a week that commented, they said the straps that fit the protector to the bed are made of cheap nylon and break easily.

#2 Naturepedic Organic Mattress Protector Pad (non-waterproof) (of type 3 in Phoenix’s post #89) - this one is thinner and less water resistant I guess than the protector linked just above. Oddly, I can’t find it on Naturepedic’s web site. I can only find it on that The Clean Bedroom web site. The Clean Bedroom’s web site says it’s made out of flannel. So I called and asked the salesman, saying I know if you sleep under flannel, it’s really warm. But is the same true if you sleep on top of it. He said yeah it was, he wouldn’t recommend that one for me. I called Naturepedic and they didn’t answer the phone. They might have already been closed for the day. I left a voice mail and am about to email them.

These are the ones The Clean Bedroom salesman recommended that I’m really leaning towards at this point:

#3 Suite Sleep Organic Cotton Stretch Knit Mattress Pad (of Phoenix’s type 3 in post #89) - Probably a very safe choice. Probably offers enough mattress protection, won’t make me hot and won’t mess with comfort layers either.

#4 Sleep & Beyond myProtector Fitted Mattress Protector - little bit of wool which is a little bit of a risk. Will add some cushioning and I like firm mattresses and pillows. But I may enjoy a little bit of cushion, I don’t know. Just not a lot. I bought the Flobeds shredded latex toppers awhile back and hated them. (Actually The Clean Bedroom salesman said he never tried this one, it just look interesting - and inexpensive - from looking at the web site).

#5 Suite Sleep Washable Wool Mattress Pad - Fitted Detail - more wool and way more expensive. I don’t think the extra wool will add extra heat. The thicker wool will surely add more protection for my mattress even though I’m not sure I need more protection. And it will add more cushion which I’m interested in trying.

One reason I’m so interested in wool is I live in the South where’s it’s HUMID. Atlanta is one of the least humid areas in the South, but it’s still notably more humid here than up north. And when I’m hot at night, my back is usually a little damp. With wool’s wicking power, I’m wondering how much of a god-send it would be.

Right now I’m leaning towards getting one of #3 and one of #4. I need two so that when I wash one, I have another ready to go (or I’ll never keep my mattress protected). I’m kind of in a hurry because summer is starting and I can’t be hot if I’m gonna sleep well. Plus money is kind of tight. I could easily dip into savings, but I hate doing that. I’m gonna need that money for a new car or a new house before too long. I’m trying to stay in my monthly budget. But I could go over if it’s really gonna help me sleep.

I’m just trying to get all the variables to settle in my mind and am wondering about what people think of what I’m thinking.

Does anyone know anything about those brands I’m looking at? It’s hard to find good reviews of this stuff on the Internet.

Am I going too overboard getting new mattress protectors for what’s gonna be at least another $300? I only know for a fact I can’t sleep on my current mattress protector directly. If there’s a cotton sheet on top of it though, I guessing that really can’t be enough to make the problem go away completely even though apparently it helps.

There’s a sale going on at The Clean Bedroom and the salesman was nice to me are the only reason’s I’m particularly interested in that site. I’m open to changing away from those guys.

Hi levander,

Just to put some of these in perspective (all in queen size) …

#1 Natura Washable Cotton Fitted Mattress Pad has 10 oz/yd of wool for a total of about 2.3 lbs.
#4 Sleep & Beyond myProtector Fitted Mattress Protector has about 5.6 oz/yd of wool for a total of about 1.3 lbs.
#5 Suite Sleep Washable Wool Mattress Pad I couldn’t find any information about how much wool was in this but it does look like there is more wool.

Just for reference …

The St Dormeir protector uses 4.5 oz/yd of wool for a total of a little over a pound of wool

Protectors with some stretch in the cotton and thinner layers of wool will have less effect on the latex underneath them than cotton/wool protectors.

Post #9 here by DahliaM describes the effect of thicker layers of wool very well and how they can add some surface softness but can actually reduce the amount you sink in or reduce the ability of softer latex to contour to your body which can make it feel firmer.

#3 Suite Sleep Organic Cotton Stretch Knit Mattress Pad DahliaM also owns this and has some comments in post #10 here comparing it to the Natura washable wool mattress pad (which has 10 oz/yd of wool).

I also own the Natura Protect Deluxe which also has about 10 oz/yd of wool and you can see my comments about it in post #22 here.

All of the mattress protectors/pads you are looking at will likely be cooler and an improvement compared to your “thin membrane type” protector. Wool will be more temperature regulating than just a stretch knit cotton.

While I don’t have personal experience with most of the options you are considering I thought I’d add some food for thought.

Phoenix

[quote=“Phoenix” post=37727]H
While I don’t have personal experience with most of the options you are considering I thought I’d add some food for thought.
Phoenix[/quote]

Your post was excellent as always Phoenix, it’s really amazing how much you remember about who posted what.

[quote=“Phoenix” post=37727]Hi levander,
All of the mattress protectors/pads you are looking at will likely be cooler and an improvement compared to your “thin membrane type” protector. Wool will be more temperature regulating than just a stretch knit cotton.
[/quote]

It’s late now and I’ll read those posts by Dahlia tomorrow. But this is one thing I wanted to try to get verified. "Temperature regulation means I won’t get so damn hot in the summer? Does it also mean I won’t get so cold in the winter? I’m pretty sure it does.

Probably because the wicking properties of wool absorbs moisture? I know how that helps in the heat, by absorbing sweat. But how does wool help in the winter? When I get really cold, I never get wet too.

Also, no guess about sleeping on top of flannel (flannel mattress protector) and whether or not that heats you up?

Some discussion about the mattress in your post. I’m sleeping on a old style, regular mattress from Original Mattress
Factory and I love it. It’s the extra firm model, no pillow top. But I can imagine how what you said about wool on Latex also affecting a regular mattress, so the info is still relevant. I’ll read Dahlia’s posts tomorrow.

Hi levander,

Yes … temperature regulation means that you will stay in a more “neutral” temperature range and not so hot in the summer and not so cold in the winter. Wool is great because it works in both directions which is why it’s used in the desert as well as in colder climates (although in the desert it would be used in thinner layers).

It traps air which can insulate you against cold and it wicks moisture away from the skin and stores it inside the fiber (up to 30% of its weight) and the moisture transports excess heat away from your body. Cotton is even better at wicking moisture but not as good at storing it away from the skin. Dry air is an insulator and moisture and humidity is a thermal conductor.

It would depend on what the flannel was made of but if it was cotton it would do a good job of wicking moisture away from your body so it would help until the flannel became moist. Cotton doesn’t absorb as much moisture as wool before it become damp. If it was wool flannel it would be more effective yet. It would also depend on the thickness of the flannel and what was underneath it. If the flannel was a synthetic polyester it would probably increase the temperature because synthetic polyester doesn’t absorb moisture.

Yes it will have a temperature regulating effect on any material but all the materials in the upper layers of your mattress including the foam, the mattress ticking and quilting, any mattress pad or topper, your protector, and your sheets and bedding will all have an effect on temperature regulation. There is more about the variables that can affect sleeping temperature in post #2 here and the posts it links to.

Phoenix

Well, Naturepedic got back to me as to whether or not they recommend their cotton flannel protector for sleepers that are heat sensitive. Their first response they basically ignored what I asked. Their second response was this:

"The flannel protector/pad is breathable – it will help with any absorption if you perspire at night. We do not sell a wool pad – even though wool sounds warm it actually wicks away moisture and heat. You may also want to consider that – I know The Clean Bedroom also sells them from another vendor. "

I interpret that as, “yeah we recommend the cotton flannel protector to heat sensitive sleepers some, but you’d probably be better off with a wool protector…”

I mention in this thread’s OP that they don’t have that protector pad on Naturepedic’s web site. I was wrong about it, I was looking for it in the wrong spot. They have it under their kid’s section, in a waterproof and non-waterproof version:

organic mattress protector pads

You mentioned this somewhere on the board, but I can’t find it. Your Natura Protect Deluxe is like an upgraded version of the Natura Washable Wool protector I have as #1 in my OP.

As mentioned in the OP, the reason I skipped over the Natura Washable Wool protector is because the user reviews of it on Wayfair, the couple who talked about owning it longer than just getting it out of the mail complained it feel apart in the wash.

Now I imagine if Phoenix’s upgraded version of this protector pad fell apart in the wash, he would have complained about it in the threads I’ve mentioned. But the upgraded version Phoenix has is like $90 more expensive, and the Natura web site says his can be washed in warm water.

The cheaper one I was looking at on Wayfair, the Naturepedic web site recommends washing in cold water. So, I’m guessing for that extra $90 for the upgraded version, you’re getting a more durable product, that can withstand a little tougher wash…

You have to be careful with Internet reviews now that the web has gotten more and more popular. It’s not like it was 20 years ago any more. And some of those reviews on Wayfair are obviously off. But from the limited evidence I’ve been able to gather, I’m guessing I should believe the Wayfair reviewers who said the thing fails about in the wash.

That plus Wayfair wanting me to wait a week or two before they ship it (as they say on their web page), still has me thinking to skip that one.

Hi levander,

Thanks for the update.

I would completely agree with this :slight_smile:

The waterproof version is one of the “thin membrane” types of protectors and would protect against moisture better than the non waterproof type but the non waterproof type without the membrane would be more breathable and temperature regulating (although as you mentioned not as good as a protector that included wool).

Phoenix

Okay, this was a very interesting post. When I got my extra firm inner-spring mattress from Original Mattress Factory. I was surprised how much I liked it. I got it to add a softer topper to later. But sleeping directly on the mattress, I really liked the firmness.

And what Dahlia describes is I think the same adjustment I had to make in my mind when I got that mattress. When sleeping products are described as firm sleeping surfaces, they don’t mean it’s like sleeping on concrete. Maybe you’d call concrete rigid instead of firm if you were talking about it as a sleeping surface…

But now that my mind has adjusted to what firm sleeping products are, I kind of divide their feel as divided into 2 categories. There’s depth and there’s surface. Firm sleeping products don’t have a rigid surface, the very surface itself is soft. But there’s a feeling underneath the surface, maybe expressed through how far you sink into the surface while you sleep on it? It’s that underneath feeling that I think of as “depth”.

In my mind, firm sleeping products have a soft surface, but a firm depth. And that’s what Dahlia is saying to me (as much sense as I can make out of all this stuff), is that wool is a firm sleeping surface…

One more post, then I’m done with all the ideas I got.

Okay, this is what I’m thinking now, referring to mattresses numbered in OP.

I’m throwing #5 out for time being because it’s way more expensive than other options.

I’m thinking I want two protectors, so when I wash one, I can throw another one on the bed real quick…

And I’m thinking getting one of Phoenix’s type 3 protectors (thin protector, no waterproof membrane) and one of Phoenix’s type 2 protectors (has wool in them, they’re thicker). This to spread out the risk of not liking the one I would choose and having to wait while something else I order ships. Plus, I’m interested in the variety of all this stuff. Ordering 2 different ones lets me try different stuff…

For the wool one, it’s either the #1 or the #4. #1 is out because of what I can make out of comments Wayfair and because Wayfair wants a week or two to ship it. And also because of the discussion of the “firmness” of wool in this thread. Phoenix points out the #1 has a lot more wool in it, which I’m guessing would make it more firm. But I’ve already got an extra firm inner-spring mattress under where this protector is going. I don’t need any more firmness I’m thinking…

For the thinner non-waterproof one, it’s either #2 or #3. Dahlia liked #3 so I’m leaning that way. But now that I’ve got my own thoughts organized, I’ll be doing searches of this forum tomorrow to weed out any remaining concerns. Starting with searchs for particular products I’m interested in. I know solid reviews of this stuff is hard to come by, but this is the best site I’ve found. So I’ll start trying here.

Hopefully I can make these orders tomorrow and get this stuff over with… This sleeping products stuff is all so relative and subjective, probably tomorrow I just finish my guess and spend the money. We’ll see.

Hi levander,

I think you have a pretty good handle on all the tradeoffs involved with all your choices so it’s really a matter of deciding on what is most important to you but I’ll just add a couple of comments to the mix.

I would keep in mind that thicker layers of wool can both soften or firm up a mattress depending on the layers below it. It can firm up softer latex because it will reduce the amount of contouring and how much you sink in but it can also soften up firm latex and add some pressure relief under the pressure points. It really depends on whether a wool product (mattress protector, mattress pad, or topper) is softer or firmer than the foam below it and how much it “interferes” with the compression and contouring of the layers below it.

If you are considering a stretch knit cotton protector then the CozyPure protector may also be worth considering.

I’m looking forward to finding out what you end up choosing.

Phoenix

Yes, that makes perfect sense now that you point it out…

Hey Phoenix, would you consider this a regular type 1 mattress protector? or maybe it’s more notable than that because it’s possible to make a waterproof membrane that’s more breathable with bamboo rayon than it is to make one with polyester?

http://www.greenzonesleep.com/#!product/prd1/1100060961/greenzone-sleep-jersey-mattress-pad
http://www.overstock.com/Bedding-Bath/Bamboo-from-Rayon-Classic-Design-Jersey-Mattress-Protector-Pad/7501549/product.html?refccid=ZTVCQXONUVU3UDSE3RMFCY2AVE&searchidx=2

Hi levander,

Yes. This has a “standard” waterproof and semi breathable membrane and then the fabric is a cotton/bamboo blended fabric.

The bamboo/rayon is part of the fabric (similar to cotton/bamboo blend sheets) not part of the semi breathable membrane (there aren’t any membranes that are made from bamboo or any other viscose/rayon type materials).

Phoenix

Okay, now I’m thinking about buying #3, #4, and a third one! I’m trying to finalize order, got an email in to The Clean .Bedroom asking about their return policy, have to check the return protection feature of my credit card, etc…

Phoenix, I know you’re working inside the industry trying to figure out how to monetize this board. And I think this is a point you can use (if you’re not already). There’s no way I’be be buying more than 1 protector if I didn’t have some kind of good idea of what was going on. But thanks to your site, I’m now buying 3! I’m sure not all consumers are like that. But a lot have to be like me…

Anyway, the 3rd one I’m thinking about getting is one with a lot more wool filling.

This is the one I’m looking at:

Sleep & Beyond myPad

And I’m trying to figure out how many ounces/ yard of wool it has. Trying to do the math, I’m getting 14.8 oz/yard of wool. This is based on the mattress pad being size queen and The Clean Bedrrom web site saying it has a total of 4 lbs of wool in it.

I am a little worried about how the seams are sewed in that mattress pad, the wool isn’t encased in small little sections, but much bigger ones. So I’m wondering how much variance in height I’m going to end up with…, I just remember how much I hated the Flobeds shredded latex topper, partially because of the 3-D surface it provides you to sleep on. It was a fine topper, just not for me.

Phoenix, I know you mainly just try to give objective guidelines for people trying to make a decision. But do you mind being a little more subjective about this last one I’m linking to? I know you can’t promise anything, just wether or not from looking at it online, you think it would be worth trying… As I said above, I’m looking into return policies and should have decent options there.

It’s kind of similar to the #1 Natura one above that has 10 oz / yard of filling. The one that you have an upgraded version of. But I’m pretty sure I don’t want the version you’ve got because it has a waterproof membrane that would sleep too hot for me and it’s not machine washable. Machine washable is a must for me. That #1 Natura one in the OP, that one has washable wool in it.

Hi levander,

The one I have does have the membrane (which can increase the heat) but it’s also washable. You can see my comments about it here.

I’m not sure what you are asking or suggesting here but I had a business plan put together that I hoped would eventually support my family before I even started the site. As much as I love what I do … I don’t think anyone could spend the hours I do at anything for free and still be able to support their family (unless they had another source of income which I don’t). It took a couple of years to get there and I realized from the beginning that it would take time but thankfully it has reached that point.

I have no experience with this mattress pad so I can’t make any comments based on my own personal or “subjective” experience but it’s designed as more of a mattress pad and will add a little more “cush” than a mattress protector which is generally made as thin as possible so it has the least possible effect on the mattress while still protecting the mattress. If I was looking for a wool/cotton mattress protector that had the least possible effect on the “feel” of the mattress I would probably lean towards the St Dormeir but If I was looking for a thicker mattress pad or even a topper that would change the “feel” of the mattress more then based on what I can see I certainly wouldn’t have any concerns with including this one as a possibility although my own “process” for deciding which one I would buy would be based on conversations with knowledgeable retailers or manufacturers who know more than I do about their products and then I would make a choice between them based on my own “best judgement”. You can see some of my general comments about Sleep & Beyond in post #3 here. The wool they use (which is described as Shropshire in the listing but their site says they use Merino) is a finer and softer wool than some others who use courser wool for their mattress pads or toppers so they will maintain their resiliency a little more and use finer wool for their comforters.

Phoenix

[quote=“Phoenix” post=37846]Hi levander,
I’m not sure what you are asking or suggesting here but I had a business plan put together that I hoped would eventually support my family before I even started the site. As much as I love what I do … I don’t think anyone could spend the hours I do at anything for free and still be able to support their family (unless they had another source of income which I don’t). It took a couple of years to get there and I realized from the beginning that it would take time but thankfully it has reached that point.
[/quote]

I’m still reading the rest of what you wrote, but wanted to comment here real fast. I’ve got no problem with you monetizing this site. It’s important you maintain you’re integrity and not just hawk products that are no good. But everything you write reeks of integrity. I see no even hints at conflicts of interest with regards to what you’ve written. Many businesses reach a point where it becomes more about the business interests than anything that has to do with the customer, at which point the customer should find another business. But this site is obviously a labor of love. Your far from that point these days and don’t even seem headed in that direction.

[quote=“Phoenix” post=37846]Hi levander,
The wool they use (which is described as Shropshire in the listing but their site says they use Merino) is a finer and softer wool than some others who use courser wool for their mattress pads or toppers so they will maintain their resiliency a little more and use finer wool for their comforters.
[/quote]

So coarser wools maintain their residency longer and offer a firmer sleeping surface? It sounds like I’m looking for a coarser wool than the Merino that Sleep and Beyond is using…

But I won’t know for sure until I get the stuff here and try it…

Rethinking…

We’ll, Dahlia’s Natura mattress pad that I have as #1 in my OP was made out of Natura’s proprietary Smart Wool. Which in Phoenix’s post #3 here is Merino wool with a special treatment to make it washable…

And Dahlia’s Natura mattress pad was too firm for her, so maybe it’s okay for me?

I just put in an email to Natura trying to verify what Phoenix said in that post. I also asked them if the treatment they put on the Merino really firms it up or not… Their site says they’ll respond in 2 business days… maybe I’ll call them Monday.

And now I’ve got an email in to Sleep & Beyond asking them if they’re using Merino or Shropshire in that really big mattress pad (topper) that ai’m now thinking about also buying…

Well, Sleep & Beyond got back to me pretty quick, and on a Sunday too. The rest f this post is there response:

Our website will be going under maintenance and does not have most of our new products on it.
We now have two separate wool collections: Merino Wool and Washable Wool (Shropshire)
Both of our product lines are free of VOCs, arsenic and other harsh chemicals used in conventional bedding as they are composed of natural fibers: wool and cotton.
The difference comes down to whether or not it is “certified organic” - which is the highest step to being close to completely free of chemicals.

Below is a comparison between the two:

1. Washable Shropshire Wool Collection

Fabric: 100% natural cotton percale
Fill: 100% washable Shropshire wool
Products: comforters, pillows, 0.5" mattress pads, 1.5 " mattress toppers

Advantage
Machine washable. Use cold water, no agitation on gentle cycle. Air dry only.
It undergoes a Eco Standard Bio-Wash where most of the natural oil called lanolin gets stripped vs. our Organic merino wool that has more oil left and is non-washable.
Eco-Friendly Dry cleaning recommended with limited moisture and Air Dry option.
Please note: All natural fibers will shrink to some extent, usually 3-6%
Free of VOCs, harsh chemicals, and arsenic.

Disadvantage
Very slight wool odor that will disappear within a few days.

1. Organic Merino Wool Collection

Fabric: 100% organic cotton sateen
Fill: 100% pure Merino Wool, WOOLMARK and USDA Organic certified.
Products: comforters, pillows, 1.5" mattress toppers

Advantage
Has passed stringent organic standards to have the products free of pesticides, herbicides, insecticides and other harsh chemicals.Free of VOCs, harsh chemicals, and arsenic. Great story of merino wool and its benefits.

Disadvantage
Not machine washable. Use washable duvet cover, protector or dry clean/spot clean.
Slight wool odor that will dissipate over time.