Mattress Protector Inquiry

Time & being able to test is 3/4 the battle - which is why I went with the vasilo. Since I had the chance to see both it, and the st. dormeir in person… the options were buy the vasilo (which was exactly what we wanted), even though it is definitely expensive, or, spend countless hours jacking around on the internet without the ability to test/feel/look at each option. Given that having it in front of me to confirm it was exactly right (and noting we did buy green sleep mattresses, so it kind of made sense), we bought.

…it’d be so much easier if you could actually go into a store to see all of these products. Of course, having store front, inventory, etc., etc., is what ends up making the price higher.

thanks everyone but that organic mattress pad would be over $400 for a cal king … a little pricey for a mattress protector and I saw the cozypure but it seems on the thick side I wonder how this one would feel Mattress Pads, Covers and Toppers - Latex, Wool, Cotton, Down, Silk – Allergy Buyers Club —Something stretchy and thin and still protects
)

Im not sure why everyone suggests the St Dormier as it looks like it would be the same as using a towel under your sheets

I found this one as well but im not sure how it fits with latex if it causes a drum type issue
http://www.protectabed.com/Twin_Tencel__Protector_White/product.htm?pid=646657&catid=34737

That’s a perfect description of the terry material. It’s like a thick towel.

Hi mike&,

Post #89 here has more information about the different types of mattress protectors and some of the pros and cons of each and some examples of each type.

The Dormeir is a very high quality protector and is one of the favorites of many high end mattress retailers who frequently recommend it as being one of the best of its type. It’s among the best of the wool mattress protectors and has less effect on the “feel” of the mattress than many other similar protectors because it’s a little more stretchy and compliant. It’s benefit is the wool which gives it some water resistance and helps with temperature regulation.

Phoenix

dn - I know I saw this was out of my price range, but I just ran across it for 20% off, so now I’m having to stop and think again.

I wish I knew how to compare this to the CozyPure, which seems to be the closest thing to it that I’ve found - I don’t much care if it is “organic” rather than just plain old natural cotton, but I know I’m going to pay for that organic labeling.

Do you think this is soft? Does it seem to change the way your mattress feels at all, or does it sort of just fade into the background and you don’t notice it?

Looks like that one’s full of polyester - something I’m trying to stay away from.

[quote=“Clawdia” post=25132][quote=“dn” post=25090]I have this one:

http://www.tmasc.ca/organic-mattress-pad-protectors/green-sleep-vasilo-organic-cotton-mattress-pad.html

It’s expensive. It’s a very thick/substantial mattress protector but all cotton and smooth, and seems to not really interfere with the feel of the latex. I like it a lot, (but it is expensive).

I also have the st dormier pillow protectors (same material as the mattress protector) so I know what you mean.[/quote]

dn - I know I saw this was out of my price range, but I just ran across it for 20% off, so now I’m having to stop and think again.

I wish I knew how to compare this to the CozyPure, which seems to be the closest thing to it that I’ve found - I don’t much care if it is “organic” rather than just plain old natural cotton, but I know I’m going to pay for that organic labeling.

Do you think this is soft? Does it seem to change the way your mattress feels at all, or does it sort of just fade into the background and you don’t notice it?[/quote]

Hi Clawdia;

lol, i just put the king bed back together having taken a picture of the vasilo in another thread:
https://forum.mattressunderground.com/t/toronto-mattress-search

Couple notes from that thread, there may be different finishes to the vasilo. Check the details in that thread for more info too?

As for the feel… my personal guess is that I completely don’t notice it, but… the mattress it’s on isn’t bare latex at the top. It’s a green sleep, and has 9" of dunlop, then about 0.5-0.75" of very compacted wool, then the actual mattress cover, then this mattress cover. If you give me a day or 2 I can tear it all apart again and try to do a comparison with it on vs nothing.

I can try to even simular it vs st. dormier because I have st dormier pillow protectors (to the extent I can try a smaller area). The vasilo is definitely stretchy, more so than the st. dormeir. As to if you could really tell the difference once a sheet is on top??? maybe yes… I can certainly tell the difference between a plain cotton pillow protector and the st. dormeir.

Interestingly, I actually can feel the dimpled weave of the vasilo through a cotton sheet (but not through linen). I rather like the feel it has with cotton. Hmmm, I guess that means I do notice it, contrary to what I started by writing.

Let me test and get back to you? Is the 20% something you need to act on quickly?

Thanks for all the info! No, not too quickly - I think it’s the sale of the month or something - here’s the link to it - http://www.thecleanbedroom.com/Luxury_Organic_Bedding/Green_Sleep_Accessories.htm - it’s the last item at the bottom of the page, and I think it’s the same as the one you said you got, but hopefully you can tell if it is the same.

At this point, I think the only hurry lies in that I’d like to get something on the mattress to protect it, sooner rather than later, altho certainly it’s already waited a couple of weeks.

Oh - meant to ask - does this have elastic all the way 'round the outer edges?

Phoenix yes I know ive read that repeated post several times —again it might maintain the feel of the bed and might be quality but laying on a towel like material is not something im interested in.
I have the protector here and I cant imagine putting sheets over it and not feeling the terrycloth. I prefer a smoother sheet or cotton type feel if you know of any feel free to post

has anyone looked at this one do you think it would be okay for a latex bed http://www.thecleanbedroom.com/Organic_Mattresses/Mattress_Pads/Suite-Sleep-Organic-Cotton-Fitted-Mattress-Pad.htm

this looks okay as well http://www.thecleanbedroom.com/Organic_Mattresses/Mattress_Pads/Naturally-Organic-Oyasumi-Knit-Mattress-Pad.htm

[quote=“Clawdia” post=25139]Thanks for all the info! No, not too quickly - I think it’s the sale of the month or something - here’s the link to it - http://www.thecleanbedroom.com/Luxury_Organic_Bedding/Green_Sleep_Accessories.htm - it’s the last item at the bottom of the page, and I think it’s the same as the one you said you got, but hopefully you can tell if it is the same.

At this point, I think the only hurry lies in that I’d like to get something on the mattress to protect it, sooner rather than later, altho certainly it’s already waited a couple of weeks.

Oh - meant to ask - does this have elastic all the way 'round the outer edges?[/quote]

Hi Claudia, regretfully I can’t tell if that’s identical… That’s what we were discussing in the other thread. The picture on tmasc.ca (where I bought from) is identical to what I got. However, the picture on the clean bedroom is different. Because of how it’s made, it could be just a matter of different embroidery. I don’t know :frowning:

As to the elastic, there is an elastic that’s is sewn into the outer edge all the way around, but only at the edge of the fabric (I.e. the 1/4" of the seem/edge of the fabric). Did you see in the other thread that I linked to that there is lots of extra material? It can accommodate a deep mattress, and is oversized initially to allow for shrinking in the wash, so we do need to tuck it under the mattress.

Let me know if any pictures or anything would help? I don’t know how to reconcile the differences in pictures nor if it’s important in any way.

Hi Mike7,

Both of the stretch knit cotton protectors you linked would work well for a latex mattress. The Suite Sleep is one of the ones I linked in the mattress protector post (except it’s a lower cost direct from Suite Sleep) and the one from SleepTek is also high quality but a little more costly.

Phoenix

I’ve been looking at the Suite Sleep one, too, as well as the CozyPure and now the one dn likes - wish sellers listed weight of product, or gave some idea of how thick the protectors are. I just don’t have it in me to drive all the way to Norfolk to see how theirs feels, so it’s a stab in the dark with these seeming good protectors - and a couple others that Mike listed from the clean bedroom site - too expensive not to like the first one I buy, so now I seem to be stuck worse than I was when it came to choosing a mattress! All I know is I want something that makes me feel I’ve done an adquate job of protecting the mattress while not changing the feel of the Latex more than can’t be avoided.

All Lee said at Sleep Essentials where I got my mattress, when I asked him about putting a protector on the bed, was that I shouldn’t bother - just put sheets on it and sleep on it the way it is. Feels great that way - even with an extra bottom sheet that I added - but I can’t escape the feeling that it needs a protector.

Decisions, decisions - I had it narrowed down to the cozypure right up until I ran across that clean bedroom website and they have options . . . options that apparently don’t ship for a couple of weeks, or so. Patience is a virtue. I know. It’s one I lack, and I’m ready for my new bed to reach that mythical state of perfection so I can just enjoy it!

@mike, clawdia,

I just looked at the 2 covers you linked. The Suite Sleep and the Naturally Organic Oyasumi (presumably Sleeptek, which Phoenix said, as that’s who their website makes their naturally organic line). As best I can tell both would be identical descriptions of the green sleep vasilo (on paper they’re identical).

I got the vasilo because it was high quality and easy (I.e. It was right in front of me, I could touch it and decide). Plus it matches my bed which is green sleep, so I felt there value in keeping the whole experience with 1 company to have the best experience, and if warranty needed, no issue with an insufficient protector.

Clawdia, you might be able to get shipping weights from the clean bedroom with a phone call, and seems like a reasonable way to see if the products are the same or different.

It seems to me that the how the surface/top “feel” of a mattress protector works for you is very personal, and similar in that way to pillows. I know that for many others the St. Dormeir terry-cloth top works great, but I’m with the others in this post that it feels a little like lying on a towel to me. This is such a personal preference, though, since the terry-cloth actually works well absorbing moisture, from a performance standpoint.

I own a Natura washable wool mattress protector (newer purchase; fitted like a sheet) as well as a Soaring Heart cotton mattress pad (old stand-by; unfitted). I think the Soaring Heart mattress pad has the very least effect on the mattress that it possibly could, because the protector just lies on top of the mattress, instead of fitting on 4 corners like a sheet. It doesn’t even have straps to hold it down. This eliminates any possibility whatsoever that the protector could create a drum effect and tighten the latex below. The only drawback is that these kinds of mattress pads do require a little more adjustment than the fitted styles, so that they don’t bunch up from tossing and turning. I’d say I adjust mine weekly. But if I had spent a very long time picking a mattress which feels exactly right to me, I’d probably consider the unfitted style.

Soaring Heart also has an unfitted wool mattress pad, which is just like a wool blanket you put under sheets. Pure Rest has a very similar one they call a Wool Puddle Pad, as does Holy Lamb and probably some others. Naturally Organic and Shepherd’s Dream have versions of these that also have thin straps that go under the mattress, but still do not fit like a sheet, so I think would have a lesser effect on the mattress.

Also, I just saw that Naturepedic has a cotton mattress pad that lies on top of the mattress like mine from Soaring Heart, but has thin straps on four sides, as does one from Rawganique. The Rawganique one is hard to find, so here is a link: http://www.rawganique.com/Bed/organic-cotton-mattress-pad-protector.htm

I have emailed the company to see what they recommend the suite sleep is $189 on their website I may get that one but I do like the idea of straps. But the ones you listed DahliaM are very expensive. Although the rawgnique looks good
While on the subject of bedding anyone recommend sheets that fit a 12" mattress
thanks)
Dn does your mattress protector cause any sort of drum effect?

Hi Mike7,

Post #3 here may be of some help.

Phoenix