Mattress Protector needed?

Hello, I just purchased the Ultimate Dreams Latex Mattress from Amazon yesterday night… What I was wondering is if I really do need a mattress protector? If I just use regular sheets will I end up ruining the bed? I do not eat or drink around my bed so I won’t be spilling anything on it but I am guessing the sweat from your body can over time damage the mattress?

Thank you!

Hi Breakin Newz,

Yes … I would definitely get a mattress protector. Sheets don’t do a good job of protecting your mattress from body oils, perspiration, or accidents and stains to protect your mattress from damage and maintain good hygiene and cleanliness. Any stain (even a watermark) can also void your warranty.

There are different types of mattress protectors though (see post #89 here) and your choice would depend on which of the tradeoffs are most important to you.

Phoenix

Thank you Phoenix, I ended up going with the SLEEP TITE by Malouf Mattress Protector… Hopefully it’s good enough!

OK, I actually canceled the order for the sleep tite one, I am just going to spend the money and get a nice protector… I get hot when I sleep so what would keep me cooler wool or cotton?

I’m either getting the St. Dormier (wool) or the CozyPure (Cotton)

Hello! I just bought the CozyPure mattress protector for my latex topper/innerspring bed. It is fantastic. It’s a little oversized to accommodate shrinkage and deeper beds,so it’s not a perfect fit at first. What’s great about it, is the 4-way stretch. It doesn’t inhibit the latex at all like typical covers do that are woven. It’s also substantial in feel.My mattress is 11" all told. Really like this product! Good luck!

[quote=“Breakin Newz” post=19659]OK, I actually canceled the order for the sleep tite one, I am just going to spend the money and get a nice protector… I get hot when I sleep so what would keep me cooler wool or cotton?

I’m either getting the St. Dormier (wool) or the CozyPure (Cotton)
[/quote]

Breakin, I just bought a new mattress myself and bought a mattress protector for it.

I didn’t get the same Sleep Tite one you did, but I got one that’s made very similarly. I got mine from Original Mattress Factory.

I’m very sensitive to heat too. I can’t fall asleep if the air conditioning on my house is set on 73 degrees in the summer.

But that mattress protector doesn’t seem to be making a difference. It might be making a slight difference, but I can sleep fine on it.

Your first question in the thread was do you need a mattress protector. I didn’t have one for my last mattress. I don’t know whether or not not having one really effects the performance of the mattress. If you don’t have one, I assume much more water gets absorbed by the materials in the mattress, and even if it dries out at some point in the future, being exposed to that water would effect the layers in your mattress. How much the water would affect them, I don’t know. Would the water degrade the layers? Would the moisture cause bacteria to grow? I don’t know.

But when I’d take all the sheets off my last mattress, there were just a couple of stains on my mattress, and it was embarassing to me. It was like, “I’m sleeping on that??”. I don’t think it’s possible to avoid gettng some stains on your mattress if you’re not using a protector. So I got the mattress protector for me. I actually got two so when I do the laundry for my bedding, I don’t have to wait for the wash to finish before re-making my bed.

But if you want to try the more expensive protectors, more power to you.

Hi Ivehadit,

Nice choice :slight_smile:

Phoenix