Mattress Protector Needed?

Hi,

Just wondering if those waterproof cloth terry mattress protectors are any good and needed for a new mattress?

I’m still deciding on my mattress but will very likely end up with a pocketed coil mattress in combination with a latex topper.

Would buying a waterproof cloth terry mattress protector for just covering the mattress alone (not topper) be a good idea?

The mattress protector will be only covering the mattress while the topper will sit on top of it covered by a fitted sheet, the purpose of the protector is to minimize moisture and dirt getting onto the mattress below the topper while not being uncomfortable to lay on (in the case the protector is covering over the topper).

Nemix wrote:

You should always use some sort of protector/encasement/pad for your new mattress to eliminate/minimize oils and skin cells from getting into your mattress and shortening the life of the foams and also creating a less than healthy sleep environment. Protectors with a cotton terry cloth top layer as you described tend to use either a plastic/PVC/vinyl layer or a polyurethane layer to provide a waterproof barrier. The polyurethane style tends to be a bit more flexible (there are quite a few variations out there) as compared to the plastic/PVC/vinyl, and it also has a degree of breathability.

I’d recommend treating the topper and the mattress as a single unit, covering both with a single mattress pad or protector (or individually if you prefer). The uppermost layers of the mattress are the ones exposed the most to oils and skin cells, so you definitely want to have something covering that product. A fitted sheet does not provide enough protection. I’ve seen many mattresses where people have used only a fitted sheet and after only a year there is an outline of their body from the oils that penetrate that fitted sheet and end up in the mattress. This will shorted the life of your mattress ticking as well as the uppermost layers of foam.

An additional consideration, is that any stain voids your mattress warranty, but my main concern is with keeping your sleep environment as healthy as possible,

If you don’t like the concept of a mattress protector using a polyurethane film, there are other options available and Phoenix has some excellent links on the forum here.

Hi Nemix,

I would add a “ditto” to Jeff’s comments :).

There is more about the pros and cons of different types of mattress protectors in post #89 here that can help you decide which type would be best for you.

Phoenix