Mattress Protector Warranty and Advice

First off, I would like to say thank you for such an informative site. It definitely made the mattress shopping less stressful. After browsing this website I believe we have finally made a decision: the Roma Latex from SleepEZ.
So now we are in the market for mattress protectors. I have done a forum search on the topic and have read/skimmed most conversations about it. I apologize in advance if these questions were asked already.
On two different occasions I have noticed on the packaging of mattress protectors that the warranty covers the protector and the mattress (I had young children with so I didn’t get to ask questions). The claim seems too good to be true with all of the complaints out there about mattress protectors failing and voiding the warranty on new mattresses. Is this included on every mattress protector warranty? What does it really mean? Would they actually replace my mattress if their protector failed? Sorry I do not have any brand names for you. I could go back and look if it would help.
Initially I wanted to go with an encasement for our mattress to be absolutely sure that every part of it is covered. I am mostly concerned about waterproofing the mattress. My husband sleeps hot, no matter what blankets are on the bed. He gets frustrated with the pillow protector I have on his pillow because it keeps the pillow from soaking up the perspiration, leaving the pillow case wet. It makes it a little uncomfortable to sleep. He wouldn’t be very happy if the entire bed were like that (the old mattress we sleep on does not have a mattress protector). So I guess we need a waterproof protector with just enough padding on top to collect the perspiration and then we’ll wash it often. Do you know of anything like this? I don’t want it to change the feel of the mattress but that might be unavoidable.
Thanks for your help!

Hi vikpak,

Every protector doesn’t have the warranty no but some protectors offer a warranty when you purchase them at the same time as a mattress (as part of the same purchase) but these can be very difficult to make claims against if you have an accident that soils the mattress because they will often claim that you didn’t use proper care instructions and deny coverage. In some cases they will send you a cleaning kit so you can remove the stain yourself but for them to actually replace your mattress would be very very rare.

There is more about the different types of mattress protectors and the pros and cons of each of them in post #89 here. From your description it sounds like one of the “semi breathable” and thinner “membrane type” protectors may be your best choice although one of the cotton/wool protectors that are “water resistant” would do a better job of regulating temperature.

There is also more about the many variables that can affect sleeping temperature in post #2 here. The type of sheets and bedding you use can also make a significant difference in sleeping temperature so this may be something worth looking at as well.

Phoenix