Mattress purchase in College Station, TX

My wife and I have been shopping for the ideal mattress for a few weeks now. We have laid on a countless number of them and they’re all starting to feel the same to be honest. We are both average size people, both sleep on a little on the warm side, tend to move around when we sleep and can sleep pretty much anywhere on anything. So, finding the right mattress has been a bit of a chore for us.

I have read all of the articles and searched the forums here so I think we are ready to continue our search. We know we don’t like memory foam and prefer something between soft and medium. We originally picked out an Aireloom and a Beautyrest Black as our #1 and 2 choices until we found this site. Durability and consistency is more important to us than cost. We dont want to be mattress shopping again anytime soon to say the least. We really haven’t looked at many latex mattress because I’ve had one in the past (Restonic) and it was comfortable but got body indentations in it a little sooner than I thought it should have. Should we be looking at a latex (now that we’re educated)?

We are about an hour and a half from Houston or Austin and dont mind traveling to look at mattresses. I have been reading up on Texas Mattress Makers since I found this sight and think it will be worth a trip to visit their showroom.

Hi Bvaura,

As you know from your reading here a mattress is only as good as its construction and the type and quality of the materials inside it. Post #4 here has the guidelines I would suggest using to make sure that any mattress you are considering uses good quality and durable materials that are suitable for the budget range you are considering and that there are no obvious weak links in the mattress.

The choice of which type of materials or which type of mattress you purchase is a preference choice not a better/worse choice. Latex is certainly an great option that is well worth considering but it would depend entirely on how you feel about the feel and performance of latex in general or different types of latex or latex hybrid mattresses specifically. Some people love it and others tend to prefer other materials or other types of mattresses.

The better options in and around College Station I’m aware of (subject to the quality/value guidelines here) are listed in post #3 here.

The list for Houston is in post #2 here and the list for Austin is in post #2 here.

Phoenix

My wife and I visited and purchased a mattress from Texas Mattress Makers in Houston. She can literally sleep on anything but I dont have that luxury. Unfortunately, we are on our third mattress from TMM and its still not comfortable for me. TMM has EXCELLENT customer service. They even made us a mattress we thought would be the prefect feel against their recommendations and took it back no questions asked.

We were furniture shopping last night and came across the original Aireloom mattress that we fell in love with almost a year ago. I was hesitant to buy it then, and decided not to after discovering this sight, and still am now but I’m starting to feel the urge to try it. Has anymore information come to light in the last several months regarding the quality and durability of Aireloom?

Hi BVavra,

I’m sorry to hear that you are having such trouble finding a mattress that you sleep well on but it’s good to hear that TMM had been so generous with their return policy. It’s very unusual that any manufacturer would take back 3 different mattresses.

Unfortunately the odds are low (see this article) that either the store or Aireloom will provide you with all the information you would need about the materials and components inside their mattress to make an informed choice and confirm that there are no lower quality materials or weak links in their mattress that would be a reason for concern in terms of the durability and useful life of the mattress.

As you can see in the guidelines here … I would avoid any mattress where you aren’t able to find out the type and quality/durability of the materials inside it (see this article) and confirm that they meet the minimum quality/durability guidelines here. This doesn’t mean that the materials would be either good or bad … only that there would be no way to know which would make it a very high risk purchase unless the durability and useful life of the mattress isn’t particularly important.

Phoenix