Mattress Purchase in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan

Hello all,

Like many here I am in search of a new mattress. I have lower back spine pain that is ever increasing and I need to replace my bed ASAP. Currently I am sleeping on a 15 year old foam / memory foam mattress that was sold by a local dealer that has been out of business for some time.

I have been visiting retail shops and almost purchased the Serta icomfort Oracle since it felt quite comfortable when laying on it at the shop. It was prices at $1399 plus tax which includes the mattress, box spring, delivery and removal of old bed.

http://www.sleepcountry.ca/products/tabid/131/products/279/mattresses/icomfort-oracle/default.aspx

However before purchasing I found this website and in particular posts from Phoenix on what to consider before purchasing a new mattress (excellent information). Since where I live is somewhat remote (Saskatoon, Sk) there are not much to choose from for a true independent shop. I did find this:

http://www.sleepersmattress.com/html/our-products/sleepers_essentials/index.cfm (Essentials Foam Mattresses)

It is a local company that assembles on site. They buy the foam itself, the memory foam toppers are also brought in and they put them together. Apparently the foam is manufactured in Canada, not sure about the memory foam. Some good points that I like so far are:

• The mattress can be a multi piece unit in that the memory foam top is separate from the base mattress foam. This means it moves easier and can be flipped.
• When I voiced my concerns about gassing they said that was not an issue. When I walked into the showroom and assembly site I have to admit I could not really discern any noticeable odor.
•Business has been around for over 20 years, they do have special sales.
•If I am not satisfied the memory foam topper is not returnable however they will disassemble the mattress to make it firmer/less firm as per my directions for $100.

Just wondering if someone can offer some constructive feedback, perhaps youare seeing obvious that I am missing.

Vaughn

Hi vaughn,

You’ve probably read it already but just in case I would start with the tutorial post here.

As you can see from post #4 here and the rest of the thread … there aren’t a lot of great options in Saskatoon or Regina but I do think highly of Barb and Sleepers Mattress Factory and they would be the direction I would tend to lean if I was in Saskatoon.

Phoenix

Wow, thanks for the quick reply Phoenix. I just want to say you are an amazing resource and have no doubt helped out countless of people with your many knowledgeable posts on this forum.

Should I be overly concerned with the internal specs? The mattress itself is 4" PolyUrethane foam. It has two thin layers of different type of foam on both sides (can’t recall the name, foam looks pointy) should I find out?. The firmness is 38 ILD (i think this is average), not sure about the 2" memory foam topper, should I try and find out more?

Thanks for pointing out the Saskatchewan thread, I had searched for local posts but missed that somehow.

Vaughn

I believe TMASC has a store in Regina? They are a member here too :slight_smile:

I bought a king and twinxl there, and am a frequent return customer… So my actions say how highly I think of them. They tend to focus in premium offerings with amazing service.

Hi vaughn,

I would want to know the specs of any mattress I purchased yes (see post #4 here) so you can make more meaningful comparisons with other mattresses (including in the same store) but if I was “forced” to make a blind purchase I would rather make it from a reputable local manufacturer than a chain store or major brand because the odds are much higher that the quality would be better in every budget range but I don’t think you will have to make a “blind” purchase.

The default setting for the forum search is to go back 1 year but you can also change the “find posts from” setting to “any date” and it will search all the way back to the beginning of the forum. The Saskatchewan post was originally posted in Sept, 2011 (although it’s been updated since then) so the default search wouldn’t bring it up.

@dn

They are included in the Saskatchewan list (at the top because they are a member) but Regina is about 2 1/2 hours away and Sleepers is the only place in 'Stoon that is included :slight_smile:

Phoenix