Mattress Purchase in Vancouver BC

I am looking for a queen size and have a budget of about $800 cdn but could move up a bit if significant benefits could be obtained. I would prefer to avoid inner spring options. I have tried the Ikea memory foam and latex options and found Sleep Innovations and Novosbed on the web. I note your concerns about the lower density memory foam used by both of the first two options but I am wondering whether the higher density foam used by the latter justifies its $300 or so cost difference. I am hoping to be able to use the mattress I purchase for about 7 years. I found the SULTAN FLOKENES and SULTAN FJORDGARD Ikea mattresses quite comfortable but I am not sure how long they maintain that comfort level. If you could give me some further options in the Vancouver area I should investigate I would be grateful; I have your list of on line options for Canada and so far Novosbed is the only one I could afford and that would be a stretch.

Thanks for your help.

Hi Petex,

I’m not so sure that either Ikea or Sleep Innovations would be a great choice for a memory foam mattress but as you mentioned Novosbed is included in the list of some of the better memory foam options I’m aware of in post #12 here and the Canada list as well. It will also depend on the specifics of the mattresses you are considering and which one would be a better match for you in terms of PPP.

There is more about the factors that can affect durability and the useful life of a mattress relative to each person in post #4 here. A mattress that doesn’t have an obvious weak link in terms of durability would definitely be “worth it” to me.

No matter what the cost of a mattress … there would be little “value” in a mattress that only had a comfort life of a few months or a year or two before it needed to be replaced.

The better options or possibilities I’m aware of in the Vancouver area are listed in post #2 here.

Phoenix

Thanks Phoenix; The options you provided are great and I was happy to see you have ties to this area. Just a quick survey shows that I have plenty of local choices - most of which are in my price range; that should allow me to find a mattress that meets your basic criteria and which meets my preferences. Now comes the hard part - a lot of lying down and taking notes.

Cheers
Peter

Hi Petex,

Good luck with your testing … and I hope you have the chance to let us know what you end up deciding … and of course to share your feedback and any questions you may have along the way :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Thanks you get bet I will have questions and I will be sure to share whatever info I obtain.

Peter

Stopped in at Discount Foam; came up with a combo of 6" 2lb 31 IDL,3" 4lb medium memory foam and 3" egg crate foam. I was not familiar with the egg crate idea but it did seem to feel more supportive with it than without it. I forgot to ask about the density or IDL for the egg crate; are those numbers significant? He says he prefers not to glue the layers together; not sure if that matters as the cover will hold everything together. Any thoughts on this combination or issues I should pursue?

I went to Majestic; tried the latex and didn’t like it as much as their memory foam option; prices were pretty high compared to Discount and the quality of foam used seemed to be comparable.

I hope to get to Northwest, FOAM & HOME DECOR and RCB Upholstery before reaching a decision.

Cheers
Peter

Hi Petex,

In a 3" layer yes I would want to know it’s a good quality/density polyfoam.

You can read more about convoluted layers in post #2 here.

You can see my thoughts about glued vs unglued layers in post #2 here and it would depend on whether the mattress had a zip cover.

Phoenix

Thanks Phoenix: I assume then if the density and IDL of the egg crate are similar to the support layer than it would not be an issue? I will check on the zipper.

Cheers
Peter

Hi Petex,

The ILD isn’t important to know when you test a mattress locally because it’s a “comfort spec” and is a measure of softness that you can feel with your testing. It’s the density that is the most important part of durability.

If it’s 2 lb density like the base layer then it would be a good quality material yes.

Phoenix

I visited Foam and Home Decor and RCB Upholstery. I think both could supply a quality product but I thought I got better advice and demonstrations from Discount Foam. However, I also visited Northwest and they had the best option I have tried so far. It is the Seneca mattress which had a 6" layer of HD/HR foam rated at 2LB. It also has a 3" layer of Talalay latex rated at about 4LBS. and some foam in the quilting. It is rated at medium firmness.

It looks like the Seneca has been renamed the Halsey on the Parklane site; here are the specs:

2" high-density plant-based foam base
4" high-resiliency plant-based foam core
3 layers of Talatech® Latex
Bamboo infused fabric
A total thickness of approximately 10"

I hadn’t liked the full latex mattress I tried but this combo of foam and latex seems to work well. I would be interested if you have any comments on the Seneca or any issues I should pursue. The only concerns I have is that the cover is not zippered and there is little support when seated at the edge of the bed. The latter I would think is a function of the mattress construction and is not really a major problem.

Hi Petex,

With latex the density is directly related to softness/firmness and is a “comfort spec” like ILD and isn’t really important because your own personal testing will tell you more about how soft or firm the mattress feels in to you in terms of PPP than the density or ILD information. This is unlike memory foam or polyfoam where density is a “quality spec” and has little to do with the softness or firmness of the material. The type and blend of the latex would be more important information to compare it with other mattresses.

There could be some slight differences in the materials between the Halsey and the Seneca but it looks like they are at least close to the same. The specs you listed are all high quality materials and there would be no weak links in the mattress in terms of quality or durability.

A tape edged cover is much more common than a zip cover and wouldn’t make much difference if the layers are glued inside (and tape edging can create a tighter fit for the cover) but it also doesn’t allow the cover to be removed for cleaning (although some zip covers can be removed but not cleaned). Most foam mattresses don’t have side support and in general it’s not really necessary if the support layers are firm enough for sleeping comfortably but there are a few exceptions that do for those who prefer a firmer edge for sitting or who sleep with weight on the very edge of their mattress (see post #33 here).

The Seneca would certainly make a good quality choice if it’s a good match for you in terms of PPP.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix: Thanks for your comments; I am going to retry the Seneca before ordering to confirm my initial impression using your PPP approach which I found to be very useful. I am also considering foundation and mattress protector choices.

I have an Ikea bed frame similar to this Shop Quality & Affordable Products - IKEA CA and I am thinking about using it together with the Laxeby slat system. I have read quite a few comments about the Laxeby on this site which suggest it would be acceptable for the Seneca but that a more rigid platform would be preferable. My only real concern about the Laxeby is that the middle of the mattress might feel differently than the other areas because that is where the two slat components are connected together. Any thoughts on that or other issues I should consider re Laxeby?

As far as the mattress protector, I think I would like something that protects against spills such as resulted from the notorious wine incident which I will not describe in detail. I have heard however that waterproof protectors can be uncomfortable to sleep on. Are you aware of any that provide could leak protection but are also comfortable?

I appreciate your assistance and I know feel I am reasonably close to a resolution.

Cheeers
Peter

Hi Petex,

I would first confirm that the bed you have would meet the manufacturer’s warranty criteria … especially regarding center support. I would also confirm that the Laxeby meets the warranty criteria as well because some manufacturers (such as Tempurpedic) have very specific criteria about the type of bedframe or foundation that is necessary and it may not include a base that has any flex.

If you have a flexible foundation under a foam mattress then even if it provides suitable support in terms of the number of slats and the gaps between them (which it would), it can also change the feel and response of the mattress. This can be beneficial or detrimental depending on how a specific combination feels and performs for you. As you mentioned you may also be able to feel the firmer center support through your mattress depending on the thickness and type of materials in your mattress, your weight and sensitivity, and on how much you sleep on the center of your mattress. These are all things that you can only know with your own personal experience if you are using a different type of support system than when you tested the mattress.

You’ve probably seen this but there is more about the different types of mattress protectors in post #89 here. Waterproof vs water resistant, the effect on the “feel” of your mattress, and how it affects sleeping temperature are all tradeoffs and there isn’t one that has the best of all of them. Most people are fine with the thinner membrane type but there are also some people who sleep warmer on them regardless of the specific brand (possibly in combination with some of the other factors that can affect sleeping temperature that are discussed here).

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix: Job done - I have purchased the Seneca mattress from Northwest after confirming that my Laxeby foundation would not negate their warranty. I got the queen size for $820 cdn which is just about what I budgetted and I have also ordered a mattress protector after reviewing the options examined on this site. Thu guy at Northwest is Mike Richard and I found him to be low pressure, knowledgable sales man who helped me match up my needs with the many matttresses they offer. My one remaining task is to upgrade my pillows but I am going to use the mattress awhile before deciding what kind of pillows would work best.

The advice you provided and many of the posts contributed by others helped to reduce my confustion about mattresses and to make what I think is a very good choice. My sincere thanks for providing this very useful resource.

Cheers
Peter

Hi Petex,

Thanks for the update and your feedback about Northwest Sleep.

I think you did very well … and congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

Thanks also for sharing your comments about the Vancouver market along the way and I’m looking forward to your feedback once you’ve had the chance to sleep on your new mattress for a while.

Phoenix

I have now slept on my new mattress for almost 2 weeks. I am really pleased with it. Could not ask for better support and comfort. No aches and pains in the morning. The lack of support at the edges is really not an issue and the mattressprotector I purchased is not noticeable.

Thanks for your help.

Peter

Hi Petex,

Thanks for taking the time to share another update :slight_smile:

It sounds like you did some good testing and had some good guidance and and made a great choice in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences).

Phoenix