Mattress Ranch?

Does anyone have experience with the Mattress Ranch? I’m looking at their “Athena” mattress, it feels good, and is in my budget, but I’m having trouble finding information on the quality of the foam.

ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint: mattressranch.com/shopping-cart.html#!/~/category/id=2618715&offset=0&sort=normal

Hi whegreg,

Mattress Ranch carries Lady Americana which is a licensee group whose mattresses are made under license by various manufacturers around the country. They are listed in both the Fairbanks list and the Anchorage list as being one of the better local possibilities.
ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint: ladyamericana.com/homepage

They would typically be a better quality and value option than most mainstream or major brands for those that are in the Seattle area where they also have several outlets. They are made by the Soundsleep factory in Washington State which is the Lady Americana licensee for the Pacific Northwest.

A mattress is only as good as the quality of the construction and materials that are in it though so regardless of the manufacture or retailer … to make any kind of meaningful assessment of a specific mattress, identify any potential “weak links”, or to compare it to other similar mattresses, you would need to know the layer thickness and density of all the polyfoam and memory foam in the mattress, the type and blend of any latex, and the details of any other materials or components in the mattress (such as the cover or quilting or the innerspring if it has one).

Better retailers and manufacturers will have this information available and willingly provide this to you on request (or call the factory to find out if they don’t have it) so you can make meaningful comparisons of their mattresses. If you need any help “translating” the information they provide in terms of quality or value then don’t hesitate to list the specs of any of their mattresses here (layer by layer from top to bottom) and I’d be happy to make some comments about it.

Without this information there is no way to know the real quality or value of a mattress and I would pass it by rather than making a “blind” purchase that you can’t compare to other mattresses in terms of quality or value.

Phoenix

I had to call, and the salesman needed to call the factory, but here are the stats of the Athena mattress:
4" gel memory foam top, 4lb density.
7" foam support base, 1.8lb density.

Hi whengreg,

This would be a “basic” 2 layer memory foam mattress.

4 lb memory foam is in the mid range of density/quality (5 lbs and higher is high quality and less than 4 lbs is lower quality). There are many people who prefer the feel of lower density memory foams because they are often faster responding and not as temperature sensitive and “feel” softer at least initially although they will not be as durable as higher quality memory foam and I would be cautious with a mattress with 4" of 4 lb memory foam if you are above an average weight range.

1.8 lb polyfoam is good quality and well suited as the base layer for a mattress. Some better quality or higher budget mattresses will use higher density while some lower budget mattresses will use 1.5 lb density. The base layer of a mattress is not usually the “weak link” of a mattress because a mattress usually softens and breaks down from the top layers down.

An example of a major brand mattress that uses similar quality materials (4" of memory foam in the 4 lb range although the base layer is 1.5 lbs which is lower quality) is the Sealy Optimum Radiance … which is not good value.
ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint: us-mattress.com/sealy-optimum-radiance.html

An example of a mattress that is also similar (4" memory foam over a polyfoam base layer) but uses higher quality materials (2" of 4 lb and 2" of 5 lb memory foam and a similar quality base layer) and which provides the ability to customize or rearrange or exchange the base layers and memory foam layers is the Rocky Mountain CoolComfort 10" here.

Another example that also uses 4 lb and 5 lb memory foam over a 2.0 lb base layer (higher quality materials) is the Novosbed Aria here.
ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint: novosbed.com/products-page/memory-foam-mattress/aria/

Another example is the Dreamfoam Supreme Gel here which also has a 1.5 lb base layer and 4" of memory foam on top (including a gel memory foam top layer)

These are a few examples with somewhat similar designs (4" of memory foam over a polyfoam base layer) that you can use for a “value reference” from the list of online memory foam mattresses in post #12 here.

Knowing the density/quality of the materials gives you the ability to make meaningful quality and value comparisons with other memory foam mattresses you are interested in either locally or online.

Thanks for listing the specs :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Can you please tell me if
5.5" ECO FLEX OPEN CELL BASE FOAM,

1" MID ECO FLEX,

4" FUSED INTERLOCKING ECO FLEX FOAM AND NATURAL LATEX

AGT STA-COOL® GEL,

1" ECO FLEX MEMORY FOAM,

WHISPERSHIELD ® INHERENT FIRE BARRIER,

NATURAL WOOL AND SILK BLEND QUILT FIBER,

COVER-INDY WHITE,
Is this good quality?

Hi Sarajones.

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

[quote]Can you please tell me if
5.5" ECO FLEX OPEN CELL BASE FOAM,
1" MID ECO FLEX,
4" FUSED INTERLOCKING ECO FLEX FOAM AND NATURAL LATEX
AGT STA-COOL® GEL,
1" ECO FLEX MEMORY FOAM,
WHISPERSHIELD ® INHERENT FIRE BARRIER,
NATURAL WOOL AND SILK BLEND QUILT FIBER,
COVER-INDY WHITE,
Is this good quality?[/quote]
This looks like the specifications for the Arial with AGT mattress from Mattress Ranch. Mattress Ranch carries Lady Americana which is a licensee group whose mattresses are made under license by various manufacturers around the country, and it looks like this is one of their models. They are made by the Soundsleep factory in Washington State which is the Lady Americana licensee for the Pacific Northwest.

Unfortunately, there isn’t any meaningful information provided in your post or on their site for me to comment about the quality of this componentry. You would need to find out information listed here so you can compare the quality of the materials and components to the durability guidelines here to make sure there are no lower quality materials or weak links in a mattress that would be a cause for concern relative to the durability and useful life of a mattress before making any purchase.

If you can provide me that information about each foam layer listed I can be of more help.

Phoenix