Mattress recommendations for Adjustable Base

I am looking to purchase two twinXL mattresses for a king adjustable leggett & platt base & have narrowed down my choices. I am also open to suggestions for other mattresses that I have not mentioned and work well for adjustable bases. Any real feedback from people using a similar setup will be appreciated.

1. Spindle all latex (1 soft, 1 medium)
  2. BB BME (1 soft, 1 medium or 2 mediums)

Hi Uunderr,

[quote]Any real feedback from people using a similar setup will be appreciated.

1. Spindle all latex (1 soft, 1 medium)
  2. BB BME (1 soft, 1 medium or 2 mediums) [/quote]

You are certainly looking at two great quality/value options although they are also very different from each other (one is a latex/polyfoam hybrid and the other is an all latex component mattress).

In general terms most foam mattresses (memory foam, latex foam, polyfoam) that aren’t more than about 12" thick will be flexible enough to work well on an adjustable bed. Also in general terms thinner mattresses will tend to be more flexible than thicker mattresses and will contour to the adjustable bed more effectively but this will also depend on the specifics of the mattress layers and components and thickness is only a general guideline. For example latex would tend to be more flexible than polyfoam.

The most reliable source of information about whether any specific mattress would be a suitable choice for an adjustable bed will be a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or the manufacturer that makes the mattress but both of the mattresses you are considering would be a suitable choice for an adjustable bed.

There is more about the pros and cons of a split king mattress in post #8 here and in this topic.

That’s far too broad a question for anyone to be able to answer because there would be hundreds if not thousands of mattresses that will work on an adjustable bed. I would also keep in mind that some mattresses that would work well on an adjustable bed may be a good “match” for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your own personal preferences) and other mattresses that would work well on an adjustable bed may be completely unsuitable for you to sleep on. There will also be a very wide range in terms of the quality and durability of the materials that they use (although both of the mattresses you are considering use high quality and very durable materials).

There is more about the 3 most important parts of “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on suitability, durability, and all the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you (including the price of course and the options you have available after a purchase if your choice doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for).

If you are looking at online choices then the mattress shopping tutorial also includes several links to lists of many of the better online options I’m aware of (in the optional online step) that include many different types and categories of mattresses with different designs, options, firmness levels, prices, and return/exchange policies.

If you are also considering local options then if you let me know your city or zip code I’d also be happy to let you know about the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in your area as well.

Phoenix

thank you. First of all, do you have the link to the better online options you mentioned? Second, as far as local options, Im in Los Angeles Area.

Hi Uunderr,

The link to the mattress shopping tutorial is on top of the right hand column of the page and is also in my signature at the bottom of all of my posts. The online lists are linked in the optional online step in the tutorial.

The better options or possibilities I’m aware of in and around the Greater Los Angeles area (subject to making sure that any mattress you are considering meets the quality/value guidelines I linked in my last reply) are listed in post #2 here.

Phoenix

thank you for the extensive list. With your extensive knowledge… Would you be able to give a couple more specific recommendations from the online companies that have a similar quality/value ratio as the two companies I mentioned in my first post. As far as the LA list, it seems like you would have to do a lot of research and even then, it would be difficult to get a mattress with the same quality/value ratio as the spindle or the bme…

Hi Uunderr,

While I can certainly help with “how” to choose … I don’t make specific suggestions or recommendations for either a mattress, manufacturers/retailers, or combinations of materials or components because the first “rule” of mattress shopping is to always remember that you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved that are unique to each person to use a formula or for anyone to be able to predict or make a specific suggestion or recommendation about which mattress or combination of materials and components or which type of mattress would be the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort” or PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your Personal preferences) or how a mattress will “feel” to you or compare to another mattress based on specs (either yours or a mattress), sleeping positions, health conditions, or “theory at a distance” that can possibly be more accurate than your own careful testing (hopefully using the testing guidelines in step 4 of the tutorial) or your own personal sleeping experience (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

There isn’t a “formula” that can be used to assess or “calculate” the value of a mattress because there are so many different variables and criteria involved that can affect the price of a mattress that can each be more or less important to some people and not to others who may have completely different criteria or definitions of “value”. The “value” of a mattress purchase is also relative to how a mattress compares to the other finalists you are considering or to other mattresses that are available to you in your area (or online if you are also considering online options) based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you. There are many reasons that a mattress that may be “good value” for one person or in one area of the country may not be good value for someone else that has very different needs and preferences or that lives in a different area.

The tutorial is the best starting point for your research but two of the most important links in the tutorial that I would also make sure you’ve read are the quality/value guidelines I linked in my previous replies and post #2 here which has more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress (either locally or online) that is the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for.

Both of the manufacturers you mentioned are members of this site which means that I think very highly of them and that I believe that they compete well with the best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, service, knowledge, and transparency and they would certainly make good quality/value choices.

I or some of the more knowledgeable members of the site can certainly help you to narrow down your options, help you focus on better quality/value choices that are available to you either locally or online, help you identify any lower quality materials or weak links in a mattress that you may be considering, act as a fact check, answer many of the specific questions you may have along the way that don’t involve what you will “feel” on a mattress, and help with “how” to choose but only you can decide which specific mattress, manufacturer, or combination of materials is “best for you” based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

In its simplest form … choosing the “best possible” mattress for any particular person really comes down to first finding a few knowledgeable and transparent retailers and/or manufacturers (either locally or online) that sell the types of mattresses that you are most interested in and that you have confirmed will provide you with the all the information in this article about the materials and components inside the mattresses they sell so you will be able to make informed choices and meaningful comparisons between mattresses and then …

1. Careful testing (hopefully using the testing guidelines in the tutorial) to make sure that a mattress is a good match for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP … and/or that you are comfortable with the options you have available to return, exchange, or “fine tune” the mattress and any costs involved if you can’t test a mattress in person or aren’t confident that your mattress is a suitable choice.

2. Checking to make sure that there are no lower quality materials or weak links in the mattress relative to your weight range that could compromise the durability and useful life of the mattress.

3. Comparing your finalists for “value” based on #1 and #2 and all the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

Phoenix

thanks again for the detailed info. Let me be more specific… Of the companies you mentioned in the Los Angeles area… Which one(s) can make/sell a mattress comparable in quality & value/price? Preferably natural latex similar to what spindle is using.

Hi Uunderr,

I’m not sure what I can add to my last reply which includes …

and …

I don’t keep a record of the individual mattresses or their specs that the retailers and manufacturers in the hundreds of forum lists throughout the forum carry on their floor or have available online (it would be a bigger job than anyone could keep up with in a constantly changing market) but checking their websites and making some preliminary phone calls to the retailers/manufacturers that are on the local lists is always a good idea before you decide on which retailers or manufacturers you wish to deal with anyway. This will tell you which of them carry mattresses that would meet your specific criteria, are transparent about the materials in their mattresses, and that carry the type of mattresses that you are interested in that are also in the budget range you are comfortable with. Once you have checked their websites and/or talked with the ones that interest you then you will be in a much better position to decide on the ones that you are most interested in considering or visiting based on the results of your preliminary research and conversations.

There are quite a number of manufacturers and retailers in the Los Angeles list that carry latex or latex hybrid mattresses (including component latex mattresses) and while the manufacturers and retailers that are members here are not the only sources of good quality/value mattresses … the two members on the Los Angeles list would certainly be a good place to start in terms of a local purchase.

Phoenix