Mattress Resources in Columbus, Ohio?

Hello,
I’m trying to find a new mattress to use for some slightly unusual conditions. First, I’m actually using the mattress more as a couch than a bed. I have a spinal injury that means I can’t sit or stand for too long without things going wrong. To combat this, I tend to cycle between sitting, standing, and lying down with somewhat more time spent lying than sitting. So the mattress is in my “office” area and I lie on my side and use the laptop for a significant amount of time each day. Second, I’m 6’1" and 300lbs, so I am pretty big around the middle and this is contributing to some problems mattress wise. For many years, I was actually using a 1990s cotton-batting futon mattres for this but it finally had enough and fell apart. Last year, I bought an affordable foam mattress (around $275) from a local store called Waterbeds and Stuff. The mattress was quite good at first, offering great support and no pressure points. However, in about 6 months it was softening up tremendously and by 9 months it was causing problems for my neck and back. It’s soft like a marshmallow now.

Before finding this site, I did the tour of the local big chain showrooms and wasn’t wow’d by anything. I did tend to prefer the mattresses on the very firmer end of the scale (probably due to my weight) as anything softer let my pelvis tip out of alignment with my back and caused pain. I also strongly preferred matteresses with good edge stiffness as I spend most of my time near the edge and hate feeling like I’m about to roll out.

So I need to buy another mattress and I need it to last better than my previous attempt. Are there any local resources in the Columbus, OH area (specifically the east side of the city) that I should be visiting? Due to my back problems, I’m limited to about 30 minutes in the car (from Reynoldsburg, OH).

Thanks for the help.

Hi williaty,

Welcome to the site … and I’m glad you found us :slight_smile:

Outside of their city (which they didn’t mention) … my reply to another member in post #2 here would apply to your search and circumstances as well.

I would also make sure that your testing includes testing to make sure that the mattresses you are considering have suitable edge support for sitting and sleeping as well.

The better options or possibilities I’m aware of in and around the Columbus, OH area (subject to making sure that any mattress you are considering meets the quality/value guidelines I linked in the other reply) are listed in post #2 here.

I’m looking forward to finding out what you end up deciding … and of course any comments or questions that I or any of the other more knowledgeable members of the site can help with as well.

Phoenix