Mattress retailers in New York City?

Hi,

My wife and I are in the market to purchase a new queen size mattress in New York City (Manhattan). We would prefer to keep the purchase under 1,500 if possible. Does anyone have any thoughts regarding a good retailer to contact?

For background, we both have the tendency to get hot while we sleep. Therefore, we thought looking into memory foam mattresses with cooling gel would make sense. I just started doing research, but I came across the Sealy Optimum Series as well as Sealy Coolsense, which is sold at Sleepy’s. Does anyone have any experience with these? I’ve also noticed that Bob’s discount furniture has discounted “off label” memory foam mattresses that look to be a great deal. Does anyone have any experience with Bob’s?

I never realized until now how confusing the process of mattress selection can be. On top of that, I don’t know where to even start looking. We basically want to get the most for our money, without breaking the bank.

Any help you can pass along would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the help!

Jay

Hi Jameslmyers3,

Just in case you haven’t read it yet … the first place I would start is post #1 here which has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines you will need to make the best possible choices.

Some of the better options and possibilities in the New York City area are in post #2 here and there is a more categorized list with more detailed descriptions of many of them in post #7 here.

I would keep in mind that memory foam (gel or otherwise) can tend to sleep warmer than other types of mattresses and I would be cautious about assuming that a gel memory foam will sleep cooler over the full course of the night. You can read a little more about all the many factors that can affect the sleeping temperature of a mattress in post #2 here and there is more information about gel foams (including gel memory foams) in post #2 here and the posts it links to.

The “read first” post also links to some mattress shopping guidelines which suggest avoiding chain stores and major brands (such as Sleepys and the Sealy Optimum you are considering). In terms of quality and value … a mattress is only as good as its construction and the quality of the materials inside it and most major brands either don’t disclose this or use lower quality materials than many smaller independent local or regional manufacturers.

You can read a little more about the Optimum line in post #48 here.

You can also read more about Bob’s Discount Furniture (mybobs.com) in post #4 here.

Without knowing the specific details of the materials in a mattress there is no way to make a meaningful assessment of a mattress or make an informed buying decision and I personally would stick with retailers or manufacturers that are more knowledgeable about their mattresses.

Some of the better options in the NYC area are listed in post #2 here and there is a more categorized list with some more detailed descriptions of some of these in post #7 here.

Phoenix