Mattress Search Help

Hi!

I’m really really hoping someone out there can possibly help me.

I’m trying to find a King size Sealy Huntington Bay mattress which is part of the Harbor Collection. I think it’s a discontinued mattress but I need to replace it like for like thanks to a puppy who suffered severe anxiety and destroyed the current one.

I’d appreciate any help at all.

I live in the DC metro area but am willing to travel to get absolutely everywhere to get it.

Thank you so much for all of your help!

Hi starlooney,

Unfortunately replacing a mattress that has been discontinued or duplicating another mattress with unknown layers with something exactly the same can be close to impossible (see post #2 here about “matching” another mattress).

The only way to match it exactly would be to find out all the details of all the layers and components inside it and then find or build a mattress that had the same layers and components. Unfortunately Sealy doesn’t disclose this type of information and even if they did the odds of finding another mattress that disclosed their materials that was exactly the same (or at least so close that the differences were smaller than you could feel) would be minimal.

Beyond duplicating it … there are some things you may be able to do to approximate it to varying degrees.

The first of these would be with your own personal testing to find a mattress that for you had a similar overall “feel”, comfort/pressure relief, support/alignment, and personal preferences. This would take some very careful objective and subjective testing to the best of your ability for all the specific criteria or a mattress that were most important to you. It wouldn’t matter who made the mattress that felt the closest to you, only that to you it was “close enough” in all the criteria that you are testing for. This can be difficult because it involves subjective perceptions and subjective memory which is not particularly accurate and most of us have had the experience of testing mattresses for a day and being surprised when we went back to test the first mattresses we tested and finding out that with all the other testing in between that they felt very different from what we remembered earlier in the day.

The other way that may help is to talk to a retailer that sold and was familiar with the Huntington Bay model you owned and see if they could suggest which of the current Sealy models may be the closest equivalent based on their experience (although none of them may be exactly the same). It would also be important not to set your expectations too high because what feels the same for one person may still feel different for another that has a different body type or sleeping style so their suggestions would be approximations that wouldn’t necessarily hold true for every person.

I wish I could be of more help but I don’t recommend Sealy mattresses in the first place (because of their low quality/value and because they don’t disclose the quality of the materials they use) so I am probably not the best person to ask. A google search on “Harbor Collection” may bring up some results that may be able to provide more specific help than I can.

Phoenix