Mattress shopping...help!

We are in the process of looking for a new mattress. We live in Columbus, IN and we have been to two different local stores Mattress and More and Long’s Matress.

We found a Serta mattress that we thought was comfortable…Carson City, and a Bowles mattress that we liked Kodiak.

I just found your site today and have read through all of the “read first” material, and I’m a bit overwhelmed! I’m hoping that you can point us in the right direction with regards to where we can find these smaller independent manufacturers, or sleep shops with alternative selections. While we liked the Bowles mattress we can’t find many reviews on the company or their product. I would like more options for investigation.
Thanks!

Hi chansmith11,

The better options and possibilities that I’m aware of in the Columbus, OH area (subject to following all the steps in the tutorial post of course) are listed in post #2 here.

One of the most important parts of the tutorial post is this …

All you really need is “enough” information to know when a salesperson is trying to “sell” you anything they can vs a salesperson that is knowledgeable and experienced and is trying to “educate” you and “guide you” about which of the mattresses they sell is the best “match” for you … and why. These are the ones that will be comfortable talking about the materials inside the mattress and not just the “marketing stories” and techniques that they have learned to sell a mattress before a customer leaves the store.

I would also take mattress reviews about a mattress (vs a business) with a big grain of salt (whether they seem good or bad) because they will tell you very little about whether a mattress is suitable for you or the quality and durability of the materials inside it (see post #13 here).

I’m looking forward to finding out what you end up deciding and of course any comments and questions you may have along the way :slight_smile:

Phoenix