Mattress shopping near Indianapolis, Indiana

My wife and I are looking for a new king size mattress set. We recently purchased a SN i8 (before finding this informative forum) and will most likely be returning it under their 100 Night Trial policy. I am sure we can find a much higher quality set…and for less money.

My wife is mainly a side sleeper and I like to sleep on my back. We both prefer a fairly soft feel to our mattress and my wife likes ones that minimize motion transfer so my tossing and turning do not disturb her. :wink: She is 5’3"/120 lb. and I am 6’2"/165 lb.

What local manufacturers and/or retailers would you recommend near the Indianapolis, IN area? I am interested in latex mattresses after researching them on your site. We have briefly tried out the Nature’s Impressions latex mattress by Holder Mattress (in Carmel) and liked the feel of it but I do not know its specs.

Thanks for all the great information!

Hi Danny,

The better options and possibilities I’m aware of in the Indianapolis area are listed in post #2 here.

Phoenix

We stopped by the shop in Zionsville and checked out the PLB mattresses. We liked the Beautiful version on the latex foundation. The salesman said if we decided to use it on an adjustable base that we could go with the PLB World’s Best Bed mattress (which he did not have on display) for a very similar feel.

My wife also really liked the feel of the Tempur-Cloud Luxe…although we are very hesitant to try it as we had a Tempur-Pedic mattress 11 years ago and it did not provide enough support and was too hot. The salesman assured us that the Cloud Luxe was a very different mattress than what we had in 2003.

We like both the PLB Beautiful and the Tempur-Cloud Luxe but they don’t seem to provide very good value. Are there mattresses that provide similar feel (and as good or better quality/durability) to either of these mattresses and for less money?

We intend to check out the offerings at May Mattress and Niagara Therapy in Indianapolis this week and then make our decision.

We are also thinking about getting an adjustable base (Reverie Deluxe or similar). Which models provide similar features to the Reverie? Do you have recommendations for an online seller that has good prices and service?

Thanks!

Hi Danny,

If you are considering one of the PLB mattresses then post #32 here includes some of the retailers that sell them and ship them across the country that can give you some good “value comparisons” for the same mattress.

There is also more about “matching” one mattress to another in post #9 here but outside of comparing two mattresses that are close to identical in their specific design and materials … your own personal testing or experience is the only way to know whether another mattress with differences in the design feels similar to you. The tutorial post includes a link to a list of some of the members of this site that sell online and many of them carry latex mattresses with a wide range of options, features, and price ranges that may be well worth talking to about which of the options they have available may be closest to the PLB that you liked. The specs for the PLB mattresses to the best of my knowledge are in post #2 here. There is also a link there to some of the better online memory foam providers I’m aware of (some of which are also members of this site) and many of them also make mattresses that use the Tempurpedic mattresses (including the Cloud Luxe) as a reference point.

Post #3 here and the adjustable bed thread it links to should be helpful :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

My wife and I have not been very successful this past year trying to find a new mattress that works well for both of us. Here is a summary of what we tried:

-Sleep Number i8 (neither one of us found it very comfortable)
-May Mattress Heavenly Comfort (wife liked it / my lumbar area did not)
-PLB Beautiful (not that comfortable / both of us had pressure points)
-PLB World’s Best Bed (wife liked it / my lumbar area did not)
-Back to PLB Beautiful

We have learned through our numerous mattress shopping trips that it is really hard to tell how a mattress is going to work until you get it home and sleep on it for a while. And apparently my lower back is quite sensitive to the kind of mattress I sleep on.

So at this point we are looking for a topper for the PLB Beautiful that will provide a little more comfort/pressure relief without causing me to have lumbar pain. What would you recommend?

Thanks in advance for your help and for all the great information on this site!

Hi Danny,

There are some testing guidelines in the mattress shopping tutorial (in step 4) that you can use that can help you more reliably predict how well you will sleep on a mattress in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) but if you are very sensitive and closer to the “princess and the pea” than the “I can sleep on anything” end of the range then it’s always a good idea to factor in a good return or exchange policy to the “value” of a mattress purchase.

I would be very cautious with adding a topper to the PLB Beautiful because it is already a very soft mattress (too soft for many people) and if you are having any lower back pain sleeping on the mattress then a softer topper can make make it worse. If you don’t have any lower back pain when you wake up in the morning and all you need is some additional pressure relief then post #2 here and the topper guidelines it links to can help you use your sleeping experience a reference point to choose the type, thickness, and firmness for a topper that will have the best chance of success and also includes a link to the better topper sources I’m aware of as well. The most effective approach to adding a topper is “just enough” in terms of thickness and softness to provide the pressure relief you need with the least possible risk to alignment.

Phoenix