Mattress shopping

Hi Napper,

[quote]I then asked what density the 1 1/2 poly quilted cover was and got this response.

1.8 and 2.6

So the 1 1/2 poly is a mix of 1.8 and 2.6? Doesn’t sound right. [/quote]

It’s possible that the quilting layer is 1826 polyfoam which would mean that it’s 1.8 lb density and 26 IFD. It’s also possible that there are two layers of polyfoam used in the quilting which are different densities.

Either way … a 1.5" quilting layer wouldn’t be a weak link in a mattress anyway even if it was lower than 1.8 lb density so I generally don’t spend too much time trying to track down the density of quilting layers that are “around an inch or so” (in practical terms I use 1.5" or less) since this would have more of an effect on the surface feel of the mattress and not the durability and useful life of the mattress.

Phoenix

Even when shopping at these recommended places it can still be a little frustrating. Missing info, missing info given is different than what is actual. Different place, online chat gives a response that made me wonder. Asked a different chat person at a different time and got a different answer. Asked a 3rd chat person and they agreed with part of what one of the others said. Another chat person tells me to contact support at a specific email address for an answer to one of my questions and when I send the email the same chat person responds to my question. These chat people were all from the same company.

You tube video from the manufacturer describing construction and claiming specific benefits of one aspect of construction and then they change that part of the construction to what would be the cause of the the situation that was previously avoided.

Another place I told them that my wife and I were heat sensitive so I was not sure if memory foam would be a good choice and he told me that there has not been any heat issues with memory foam for the last 10 years. To put it mildly, that is inaccurate.

These are all recommended places. Just saying that I expected a little different in dealing with the best of the best.

Hi Napper,

I’m not sure of the specific questions you were asking or the replies they gave you or whether they were clearly understood in either direction so I can’t make any meaningful comments about any information you received that may have been conflicting.

I don’t know if they were talking about their own mattresses or memory foam in general and it’s certainly possible that they haven’t had any heat issues with the specific design and type of memory foam that they use in their own mattresses that contain memory foam although it’s true that “as a group” memory foam does tend to sleep warmer and generate more complaints about heat issues than other types of foam materials.

Again I’m not sure which manufacturers you are referring to but the mattress we have been discussing in this topic was from Mattress Makers of New England which isn’t one of the members of this site.

I do recommend the members here “as a group” because I believe that they compete well with the best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, service, knowledge, and transparency but there are also many other sources of good quality/value mattresses as well that aren’t members of this site (at least yet).

The different manufacturers or retailers on the hundreds of local forum lists sometimes include members that are recommended if there are any in the local area but for the most part they only include the better options or “possibilities” I’m aware of in the area but these are always subject to making sure that any of the retailers or manufacturers on the lists that you wish to deal with are completely transparent and that any specific mattress you are considering meets the quality/durability guidelines I linked in my previous replies along with all the other parts of your personal value equation that are important to you.

I would also keep in mind that the top 5 manufacturers in the industry (which are actually only 3 companies) represent over 75% of the mattresses sold in the industry (see this article) and that none of these (and many of the other larger manufacturers as well) will disclose all the information about their mattresses that you need to make an informed choice so any manufacturer that is fully transparent and where you are able to find out the specifics of the materials and components in their mattresses (even if it takes some effort or clarification) would already be in a small minority of the industry.

Phoenix