Mattress shops in CT

Just joined this site - so glad I found it, have spent some time over the past few days doing research on here.

Over the past 5 years I have had 2 coil spring mattresses - a Simmons beautyrest which actually lasted well up until the 4th year where it suddenly experienced extreme sagging, and most recently a Sealy Posturepedic which has been absolutely shocking, it’s almost unusable due to sagging after just 3 months. I’m 5ft 8 and 155lbs so hardly put a lot of strain on mattresses.

I am now looking for a knowledgable local retailer, and local brands in order to buy something with a high quality of workmanship. I am looking for something higher end from a budget perspective, open to coil spring / memory foam or latex.

I am in Stamford CT. So far I have read good things on this forum about Comfort Sleep Systems. Are there others in CT I should consider visiting as well - or do I really need look no further than CSS?

Hi Eric K,

As you know Comfort Sleep Systems is one of the members here which means I think highly of them and I believe they compete well with the best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, service, and transparency but there are also some other very good options in the Connecticut area as well.

The better options and possibilities I’m aware of in the Connecticut area (subject to the guidelines here) are listed in post #2 here.

Phoenix

Fantastic - thanks for that. Norwalk is vwry close so I will visit Norwalk Matress first to get a feel for latex first.

Hi Eric K,

I’m looking forward to your feedback after your visit … good luck with your testing :slight_smile:

Phoenix

I took the trip down to CSS today - David helped me out.

I stated I was looking for a firm mattress, and was open to any type - foam, latex, coil spring. Tried their firmest latex model, I felt that it just didn’t give enough support and I would potentially end up with similar lower back issues as I have now. Seemed almost like a water bed in terms of sensation - I really wasn’t keen.

Tried a firm coil spring mattress - definitely had the right level of support although there was motion transfer through the mattress when changing position - could see how my wife and I would end up waking each other if we get out of the bed at night.

He didn’t have very good things to say about memory foam and suggested I don’t consider one.

David really felt their traditional foam mattress would be the best bet for us - he described it as their workhorse, a product that has been well and truly tried and tested. Interestingly it initially felt slightly less firm than the coil spring as you lay down on it - however once fully laying down it actually felt more supportive. I liked the support from my shoulders through to my hips, my wife also felt the same. He showed us the foam that is used inside the mattress and assured us it was the highest grade, and made by a renown manufacturer - Carpenter.

So - we ended up ordering a king size flip Azure, as well as two king size firm latex pillows

Might be able to pick it up next weekend, looking forward to getting back to a good nights sleep - thanks to this forum.

Hi Eric K,

Thanks for the feedback … and I’m glad to see that your visit went well and you certainly ended up making a high quality choice.

Congratulations on your new mattress.

I’m looking forward to any updates you have the chance to share when you’ve received it.

Phoenix

Phoenix, am I giving up a lot in terms of longevity with the HD / HR foam versus latex? How long should I reasonably expect to get out of a mattress like this before it starts to break down / sag?

I really was attracted to all the benefits of latex however felt that I sunk in too much , the traditional foam just felt it was giving the support I needed - is that normal, even for firm latex?

Had a “did I make right choice” moment last night.

Hi EricK,

The durability of a mattress depends on a combination of many variables including the specifics of the foam, the firmness and design of the mattress, and the person sleeping on the mattress.

There is more about durability in the quality/durability guidelines here and the posts it links to that discuss durability in more detail but if the quality of the materials in your mattress meets the minimum guidelines then it would be reasonable to expect a useful lifetime in the range of 7 - 10 years and if they are better than the minimum (which is likely to be the case with your mattress) it would be closer to the 10 years or even longer. After 10 years the useful life of any mattress would be “bonus time” regardless of the durability of the material but with latex the odds of additional “bonus time” or even “extended bonus time” would be higher than with most grades of polyfoam.

This is a fairly common “feeling” for those that aren’t used to sleeping on latex because it is very “point elastic” (it contours to the shape of the body) so some people “feel like” some parts of their body are sinking in more than they are used to even if their spine is in good alignment.

Phoenix