mattress spec's for adjustable base

I am still doing research on the king size mattress we will buy soon, and am seriously considering an adjustable base. Does this mean I should be looking for certain features in the mattress? I would like a 100% latex mattress with around 10-12" thick total, and so far I seem to like a softer layer of dunlop latex on top, progressing to medium and then firm below. One salesperson told me that it would be best if the mattress were made of unwrapped layers of latex encased in a single mattress cover because, even if encased in a zippered mattress case/cover, if the latex layers are wrapped in cotton gauze or if I use a separate topper, they will be “slippery” and will shift as we use the adjustable base. Also, I am wondering if I should select a mattress that has piped edges and straight sides rather than the type with rounded edges (like the Sleeptek Euro 4) so as to minimize shifting of layers.

Is this something important to take into consideration, and are their other features of a latex mattress I should look for or avoid so that it works well with the adjustable base? Or should I avoid an adjustable base altogether?

Hi goldilocks,

In general terms most foam mattresses (memory foam, latex foam, polyfoam) that aren’t more than about 12" thick and most pocket coil mattresses will be flexible enough to work well on an adjustable bed but when you are over about 12" thick then the mattress may not contour to the adjustable bed as effectively. While in general terms thinner mattresses will tend to be more flexible than thicker mattresses and will contour to the adjustable bed more effectively … this can also depend on the specifics of the mattress layers and components and staying below about 12" thickness is only a general guideline because some mattresses that are a little more than that which use more flexible materials may still be fine and some mattresses that are less than that may be less flexible and not work as well but 12" is a good general guideline.

Latex is certainly a very flexible material and works very well on an adjustable bed so a thicker latex mattress may contour more effectively than a thicker mattress that uses less flexible foam materials (such as polyfoam) but it’s certainly not the only option you have. The most reliable source of information about whether any specific mattress would be a suitable choice for an adjustable bed will be a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or the manufacturer that makes the mattress.

There is more information about the pros and cons of wrapping individual layers with a thin fabric in post #2 here. “In theory” a wrapped layer would probably have a slightly higher chance of shifting over time but with a component mattress it’s also fairly simple to unzip the cover and “wave” the layers back into position again.

I don’t think the edging will make any difference.

Latex in general works very well with adjustable beds and there are many people that are very happy that they chose an adjustable bed to go with their latex mattress (or other types of mattresses) as well.

There is more information about choosing an adjustable bed in post #3 here and the main adjustable bed topic that it links to that can help you choose an adjustable bed based on price vs features comparisons and also includes some retailers that you can use as good sources of information about the features of the adjustable beds they carry and as pricing references as well (in post #6 in the main adjustable bed topic). Of course there are many other sources as well and prices can change on a regular basis so I would also include some internet searching in your research and I would also keep in mind that online advertised prices are often price controlled so make sure you call the stores you are considering to find out their best prices rather than just looking at websites.

Phoenix

Phoenix, thank you so much for your very helpful reply and all the information you have shared with me and others. I wanted to ask if you or anyone here knows about the L&P P-132, which is a high end adjustable that has a pillow tilt feature that makes it easier to read in bed. It is a third articulation and increases the price, but I have never had an adjustable bed and want to make sure I get one that I like because I’ll be using it for the next 20 years or more! (Is that a reasonable expectation?) Does the pillow tilt articulation make the neck more comfortable or is it a gimmick? I have no idea and none of the showrooms around me has it, so I can’t test it. It also has a 7" tablet instead of a regular remote and it can be used to control room lighting for reading, etc. Is this remote good, or do people find it annoying?

On the mattress subject, I’m now leaning more towards Cozypure’s natural mattress instead of the Sleeptek. It seems to be a great mattress and it’s less expensive than the Sleeptek I saw in a local shop, so it looks like a much better value, not even counting the Cuddle Club (ongoing discounts on items excluding mattresses) you join after purchasing the mattress. Do you agree Sleeptek (organic) and Cozypure (natural or organic) latex mattresses are of similar quality?

I’m so afraid of making a mistake, but most of these companies don’t take a return at all, but at least they both offer 90 day comfort guarantee and in fact, Cozypure’s comfort guarantee seems to be lifetime.

Thanks in advance for any advice or opinions. I am so grateful for this forum and for all I’ve learned so far.

Hi goldilocks12,

I don’t have any personal experience with the adjustable bed or remote you mentioned so hopefully some of the forum members that have used it will see your post and share their comments about it. “In theory” the neck articulation would probably help if you are sitting up in bed reading but of course different people would also have different opinions about how useful it is for their own specific circumstances. There are also several other adjustable beds that have a similar neck articulation as well.

There is more about the durability and useful life of a mattress and what I would consider to be a reasonable expectation in the quality/durability guidelines here and there are also more detailed comments about the many variables that can affect the durability and useful life of a mattress in post #4 here as well. Since latex is such a durable material the odds are much higher that you would have more “bonus time” beyond 10 years than you would with mattresses that use lower quality and less durable materials.

One of the advantages of a component mattress is that if the softer top layers in a mattress soften or break down before the deeper layers (which is most likely) or if your needs and preferences change over time then you can just replace individual layers instead of replacing the entire mattress.

Yes … even though they have different designs … they would be closely comparable in terms of quality and durability since they both use the same materials (100% natural Dunlop latex).

Phoenix

That’s good to know, Phoenix. The Cozypure mattresses seem so well made. It’s scary to buy it without trying it first, but I do like their comfort guarantee and other store policies. Customer service seems very good, at least prior to purchase. Do you know if it stays good after you’ve bought one? How would you compare Cozypure to Dormio? The people at Dormio seem very nice and knowledgeable, but it’s very far for me and they sell Sleeptek and Donan Marketing latex mattresses, which I’m not sure are any better than Cozypure’s latex mattresses. Do you know if their construction of the zippered, layered latex mattresses are similar in quality and durability? The materials sound extremely similar: organic cotton and wool, dunlop latex from Sri Lanka.

I read the threads you referred me to about the adjustable beds in combination with latex layered, zippered mattresses, and I know you like them in general and you’re happy with the one you have. L&P is on the pricier end, but it seems their prices have come down somewhat in the past year or two, and my husband is 6’3" and a little on the heavy side, so I think I need a strong motor given that the mattress itself will weight 250 lbs. I found a good deal on the L&P Prodigy and the P-132, which is the one with the pillow tilt. If you needed to buy another for yourself, would you want that feature? Even if you’ve not tried it, I would love to hear your thoughts on this because you’ve used a regular adjustable base which is something I’ve only done in showrooms so far, so I really don’t know if a pillow tilt would make the bed more comfortable or if it’s just stupid bells and whistles. I don’t want to pay for useless features. On the other hand, I don’t want to regret not having bought the one with pillow tilt if it’s a useful or nice feature because there’s no upgrading possibility for me.

Thanks very much.

Hi Phoenix, thanks, I just saw your thoughts on the neck articulation option. I think we were posting at the same time. Thank you again for your help. I hope anyone reading this who has experience with the neck articulation can weigh in on its usefulness and comfort.

Hi goldilocks12,

CozyPure and Dormio are both members of this site which means that I think very highly of them I believe that they compete well with the best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, service, knowledge, and transparency. This would include their service before, during, and after a purchase.

In terms of their mattresses … I can’t speak to how any mattress will feel for someone else in terms of “comfort” or PPP but when you can’t test a mattress in person then the most reliable source of guidance is always a more detailed phone conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer that has your best interests at heart and who can help “talk you through” the specifics of their mattresses and the properties and “feel” of the materials they are using (fast or slow response, resilience, firmness etc) and the options they have available that may be the best “match” for you based on the information you provide them, any local testing you have done or mattresses you have slept on and liked or other mattresses you are considering that they are familiar with, and the “averages” of other customers that are similar to you. They will know more about “matching” their specific mattress designs to different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences (or to other mattresses that they are familiar with) than anyone else.

There is also more about the 3 most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on suitability, durability, and all the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you (including the price of course and the options you have available after a purchase to fine tune the mattress or the exchange return options that are available to you).

Once you are down to a list of finalists and you are confident that they would all be a good match for you in terms of PPP (or you have good options after a purchase if you aren’t) and that there are no lower quality materials or weak links in any of them in terms of durability (which there aren’t) then you would be down to finalists that are comparing “good to good”. If there are no clear winners between them at this point (which is usually a good indication that you have done some very good research) then you are in the fortunate position that any of them would likely make a good quality/value choice and (post #2 here) can help you make a final choice based on your local testing or mattresses you have slept well on, your more detailed conversations with each of them, your confidence about PPP and the suitability of each one, their prices, your preferences, the options you have after a purchase to fine tune the mattress or exchange or return the mattress or individual layers, any additional “value” extras that are part of each purchase, and on “informed best judgement” based on all the other objective, subjective, and intangible parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you. Sometimes a final choice may even come down to very minor differences or can sometimes just be a matter of “gut feel” or “educated best judgement”.

It probably wouldn’t be my biggest priority since the adjustable bed I have works well for us for the times we read in bed or watch TV but it would probably include it as one of the less important factors in my choice (and I would probably test it in a store just to see how I liked it first) so it would depend on how all the other features that were important to us compared “as a whole” based on “price/features” comparisons. I would also keep in mind that my own thoughts about any specific feature of an adjustable bed may be very different from someone else who would use the features more or less than we do. For example you can see some of my thoughts about the “massage” features that we both thought would be more important than they were in “real life” in post #2 here.

Phoenix

I just purchased an adjustable bed foundation (Reverie 7s) and a 12" 100% latex mattress. The mattress is the self-assemble type from foamsweetfoam.com. It has four 3" layers of both Dunlop and Talalay. We have only had this ten days, but we haven’t had any problems with the mattress being “folded and unfolded” from the adjustable bed. I am sure that the massage feature would work better on a thinner mattress, but since my husband and I aren’t on the thinner side, I chose to get a mattress at the max recommended size for adjustable beds. It is comfortable in any position and we love this set-up. :slight_smile:

Hi Geeky, that sounds like a great set up, and very similar to what we are considering buying. Did you look at SleepEZ or Cozypure? I am pretty new to the forum and am still learning about latex mattresses, and foamsweetfoam seems similar to SleepEZ and Cozypure. I’m just wondering if you did and what factors led to your decision. I’m so confused with all these companies and latex spec’s, but it sounds like it’ll be worth all the mental gymnastics when we finally make a selection. Glad to hear you like yours so much and that the layers don’t seem to slide much or at all.

I did look at SleepEZ and CozyPure. SleepEZ doesn’t advertise a 12" on their site, although upon looking at it later, their 13" is really the same as the foamsweetfoam’s 12". SleepEZ includes the 1" mattress cover in their measurements and foamsweetfoam only measures the actual latex layers. But, I just noticed that they have changed their website and now show the 12" as a 13" to include the mattress cover. CozyPure’s price was more than FSF, so that was an easy decision for me. When I bought from FSF they had $400 off a Twin XL. I bought two of those to make a king size so I took $800 off. I did have to ring each one up separately to get $400 off twice (one for each mattress).

I am not so sure there are a lot of differences between the mattresses on the inside, since you can pick your type of latex layers. I do like the mattress cover that FSF makes, but I have no clue how it compares to the others. My husband and I enjoy the mattress. Our top layers are a medium talalay latex and it feels a creamy soft to me, if that makes any sense. We also bought and use St. Domier mattress protectors.

The biggest adjustment is the sides. The sides are not firm like the old coil spring with a foam wrap-around was.I have slept near the edge without a problem but you can’t lean up against the mattress when you are putting your shoes on. But, for us, the soft but supportive feel of the latex makes up for it. I think you were looking at a foundation with a neck articulation. I also thought about it, but decided I would use a pillow and save a little money. Although, I do wonder how much nicer it might feel but not enough to worry too much.

I don’t know where you are looking for your adjustable bed, but DealBeds.com had the best price for mine with free shipping and no tax since we live in Florida and they are in another state. They shipped the foundations (two twin XL’s) very quickly and in perfect condition. FSF was also great to work with. Heidi is the customer service rep and she was a very nice person to work with.

We are happy, but we are pretty easy to please. I do have to add that the old bed really hurt my husband’s back and this one feels nothing but great to him.

I sure whoever you go with and whatever you decide on will be great. I am a big proponent of latex now.

Hi Geekymom.

Just for reference and for the sake of accuracy … I’m not so sure this is correct because if you are making apples to apples comparisons it would depend on which size you are comparing, on the “value” of their covers which are different (Cozy Pure has a two sided quilted cover), on any differences in the design and/or the type and blend of latex in each one, on the “value” of any additional benefits or bonuses that each manufacturer provides with a mattress purchase, and on the importance of the options you have after a purchase which are different with each one.

While price is certainly one part of the value of a mattress purchase … I would also keep in mind that value depends on all the parts of each person’s personal value equation that are most important to them and each person’s criteria may be different from someone else. There is more about the 3 most important parts of “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here which can help each person make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to their other finalists based on suitability, durability, and all the other parts of their personal value equation that are most important to them.

Phoenix

I will reword. At the time I made my latex bed purchase I would have had to have paid $1520 more for two Twin XL mattresses at CozyPure than I did at FSF. I am basing this pricing on CozyPure’s Organic collection because Cozypure’s Organic collection has a mattress cover of cotton and wool and FSF’s mattress cover is also cotton and wool. The Natural collection at CozyPure uses a cotton cover. I wanted the extra wool in my cover. And the option of a flippable mattress was not worth the $1520 for me and my wallet.

I also liked the idea of picking the different ilds for each latex layer in my mattress, an option I didn’t see on the CozyPure website. And, yes, CozyPure is a flippable mattress, but I figured if my comfort layer in my latex mattress eventually wore out, I could just order another one and only replace one layer. And speaking of having a “build yourself” mattress - I like the idea of being able to change out layers. If I needed to change a layer, for any reason like maybe ten years from now I have some medical condition that begs for a softer or firmer mattress I can do it pretty easily. And, if something happens to my mattress cover, but the latex is fine I can change that also rather than buying an entire new bed.

I am happy I went with a “build yourself” mattress and I am happy I chose FSF, although I am sure some of the other retailers of this type of mattress would have been fine if I had gone through them.

Completely off topic: I am glad I found this site and did a lot of research before buying. I am happy with my choices and I know I saved a lot of money compared to going to a local retailer. I saved money by using the power of the Internet to shop for competitive pricing, I used the tax loophole to save a few more hundred dollars, credit card rewards to knock off more dollars and I fully took advantage of free shipping. I am very comfortable shopping online for everything but fresh groceries and have been doing this successfully for years. Not everyone is as comfortable with online shopping and I wouldn’t try to sell online shopping to them because it is out of their comfort zone.

Last, I can’t imagine enjoyably sleeping on anything other than latex now. For my husband and I (and the Bishon), it is absolutely perfect. I do highly recommend to others to seek out a store with latex and try it before buying memory foam, which everyone seems to carry. The difference in how the two materials feel that I originally thought would be minimal is not, at least for me.

My daughter can’t wait to test my bed next month when she will be home for a little bit since she and her husband plan to up-size to a king next year as soon as she finishes her medical rotations. She doesn’t want to spend as much as I did, so I have suggested she look at Brooklyn Bedding and DreamFoam to get a partial latex bed.

Just loving the latex!!

Hi GeekyMom,

[quote]The Natural collection at CozyPure uses a cotton cover. I wanted the extra wool in my cover. And the option of a flippable mattress was not worth the $1520 for me and my wallet.

I also liked the idea of picking the different ilds for each latex layer in my mattress, an option I didn’t see on the CozyPure website.[/quote]

Just for reference and for the sake of accuracy again … the Natural collection has a cotton cover that is quilted with wool and would be the most closely comparable option to the mattress you purchased. The listed prices for a twin XL from each company are withing $100 of each other.

Cozy Pure also provides different firmness options as well although there aren’t as many layering variations as there is with Foam Sweet Foam.

[quote]Last, I can’t imagine enjoyably sleeping on anything other than latex now. For my husband and I (and the Bishon), it is absolutely perfect. I do highly recommend to others to seek out a store with latex and try it before buying memory foam, which everyone seems to carry. The difference in how the two materials feel that I originally thought would be minimal is not, at least for me.

My daughter can’t wait to test my bed next month when she will be home for a little bit since she and her husband plan to up-size to a king next year as soon as she finishes her medical rotations. She doesn’t want to spend as much as I did, so I have suggested she look at Brooklyn Bedding and DreamFoam to get a partial latex bed.

Just loving the latex!! [/quote]

It’s great to hear that your mattress is working out so well for you :slight_smile:

Phoenix

You got me on missing the wool, but FSF had $400 off each mattress, so I paid $400 less on each Twin XL than the listed price. This was a big deal for me.

Hi Geekymom1,

I certainly wasn’t trying to “get you” and I also wasn’t questioning the choice you made since each person’s personal value equation can be very different from someone else (and as you mentioned pricing can vary sometimes as well) so I think you certainly made a great choice but I wanted to correct some of the information you posted in this topic so that others that read it can make more meaningful comparisons based on all the criteria that are most important to them.

Phoenix