Mattress store recommendations in Phoenix, AZ?

Hi Phoenix,
I stumbled across this site today while doing mattress research, It is very helpful and informative!! Latex mattresses weren’t even on our radar, and now it is something we are going to look into. The hardest part for me is finding a good store to go to. I tried to do a forum search for places in Phoenix, but my searches just brought up every post that you were mentioned in. :slight_smile: Can you, or anyone else on here, recommend some places in the Phoenix area? Even more specifically in the East Valley (GIlbert/Mesa/Tempe/Chandler area) if possible. Thanks!

Hi mwallbrecht,

You’re right that “Phoenix” is probably the most difficult search term on the forum if you are looking for anything other than my username!

In any case … the better options and possibilities I’m aware of in and around the Phoenix area (subject to the quality/value guidelines here) are listed in post #4 here.

You are very fortunate to live in the Phoenix area since several of the manufacturing members of this site are based there which gives you the chance to test mattresses in person that most of the rest of the members that live in other areas of the country can only order online without being able to test them first.

Phoenix

I live in Cincinnati, OH. Are there any retail stores where my wife an I can go and lay on a latex mattress? I have been researching this for the last 6 months and really feel like it would be best to try out one first before ordering from an online seller. We have been purchasing inner spring mattresses for the past 25 years and are sick and tired of the poor quality.

Hi realsmith,

Hopefully you’ve had the chance to read the mattress shopping tutorial here which includes all the basic information, steps, and guidelines you will need to make the best possible choice … and know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

The better options or possibilities I’m aware of in the Cincinnati area (subject to the quality/value guidelines here) are listed in post #212 here.

I would keep in mind that there are some very high quality and durable innerspring mattresses available in the industry … you just need to make sure that the foam above the innerspring (which is normally the weakest link of a mattress … not the innerspring itself) is a good quality and durable foam (see this article and the foam quality guidelines it links to).

While the latex mattresses that are available locally may not be the same as any of the latex mattresses available online … I would agree that it’s a good idea to do some local testing so that you can get a general sense of what latex feels like compared to other types of mattresses and materials.

Phoenix

Phoenix,

Wow, I had no idea there were as many choices in my area. Thank you so much, I will check every one of them out and make a more informed decision.

Sincerely,
Realsmith

Thank you!!!I had no idea that Phoenix was a hot spot for latex mattress manufacturers!

We went to Dreamfoam Bedding last night, as it’s very close to us. It was our first time trying out a latex mattress, so we don’t have much to compare them to. They were comfortable, we liked how they felt and responded, and we got a sense of what we liked (soft-medium). But, we want to make sure we are getting good quality. I also called Brooklyn Bedding, they said they don’t have a showroom but I could make an appointment to visit their manufacturing site to test the three beds they sell online, it’s just far from us. They told me their products are better than the ones sold at Dreamfoam Bedding (higher density polyfoam, two layers of latex instead of 1). I would also like to check out the SleepEZ or Mattresses.net showrooms first, but they are also just far from us and we are finding it tricky to get there. But, are the materials they use superior enough that you think we should wait to buy until we can find the time to go and at least check them out??? I’m especially interested in trying a coil base with latex topper. Otherwise, I might end up just buying one online from Brooklyn Bedding since it’s 100% risk-free.

Hi mwallbrecht,

You are the only one that can decide which retailers/manufacturers you are interested in visiting but you can talk with each of them on the phone about the options they have available and then decide whether to visit them. Both of them also have some very high quality/value mattresses that would certainly be worth considering although they each carry models that have different designs and features. They both also focus on “all latex” component mattresses rather than latex/polyfoam hybrids but both of them also carry a latex/innerspring hybrid as well that you may be interested in testing.

Latex is a very high quality and durable material no matter which type or blend of latex you are considering and no matter which manufacturer uses it in their mattress. There is more about the different types and blends of latex in post #6 here but the best way to know which type of latex you tend to prefer or which specific mattress is the best match for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) is based on your own careful testing and personal experience.

You are certainly looking at some great options :slight_smile:

Phoenix

We went to the SleepEZ showroom this weekend, and we found a couple mattresses there we like. I was a tad disappointed that they don’t carry any innerspring hybrid mattresses, only foam they said. So, if I want to try out an innerspring it looks like I will have to make a trip to AZ Premium Mattress Company.

We got to try out the new KISS mattress, and my husband and I both found it very comfortable! We found we prefer the tighter stretch cover that it has more than the quilted “puffier” covers of their other mattresses. This KISS mattress has 1.5 inches blended Talalay latex over 1.5 inches memory foam over a polyfoam core. I asked about the memory foam, if it was the “special memory foam” and he said no, it’s just “regular memory foam.” Now, I recall reading somewhere here about a memory foam with different properties that makes it “better.” Is there such a thing?? Because I also recall reading here that you do not recommend memory foam! So, while we liked this bed, I’m hesitant because of this layer, and because there is only 1.5 inches of latex where I was hoping to have at least 3 inches.

Hi mwallbrecht,

This is why I always suggest calling a retailer or manufacturer on the phone before you visit them to confirm that they carry mattresses on their floor that you are interested in testing. It can save a lot of time although in this case you had a chance to test some of their other mattresses.

My understanding is that it’s a high performance polyurethane foam that is a hybrid between polyfoam and memory foam and has many of the properties of memory foam but without the slow response and temperature sensitivity of more traditional memory foam. Having said that … there are hundreds of different types of memory foam that have a very wide range of different properties so I’m not sure what you mean by “special memory foam” because even each type of memory foam can have different properties compared to other types of memory foams that are designed into the foam formulation (see posts #9 here and post #8 here).

I’m not sure where you read this but it certainly isn’t the case and I actually don’t recommend any specific type of material or component in a mattress (latex, memory foam. innersprings, or anything else). The choice of materials and components in a mattress is strictly a personal preference and different people can have very different preferences. My only “recommendation” is that all the materials and components in a mattress are good quality and durable versions of the particular materials or components that it uses so that there aren’t any lower quality and less durable materials that would be a weak link in a mattress.

In the case of the KISS mattress … the 1.5" of blended Talalay latex, the 1.5" of 4 lb float material, and the 2 lb base layer are all high quality and durable materials and there are certainly no lower quality materials or weak links in the mattress. It would be a durable choice for any weight range.

There is more about the three most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here that can help you make more meaningful comparisons between mattresses based on PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences), the quality and durability of the materials inside it, and all the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

Phoenix