Mattress stores near Lexington, KY, OR has anyone actually slept on a Cirrus Luxe-ES 13"

I think I’ve narrowed my mattress search down to Tempur Pedic Cloud Luxe. Would like to avoid the large price though. Can anyone one suggest a store in or near Lexington, KY that sells a mattress comparable to Tempur Pedic Cloud Luxe? I have not had a memory foam mattress before. Family members swear by Tempur Pedic to rid back pain. My current mattress is causing back pain. My concern with Memory Foam is sleeping hot. I’ve read about the gel infused etc. Does that just feel like sleeping in a damp bed? Or What about the Cirrus Luxe-ES 13" does that actually feel like the Tempur Pedic Cloud Luxe? My current mattress was an effort to nearly “match” specs on a smaller guest room mattress that is no longer being sold. When the bed arrived immediately I knew we had made a mistake, it’s so PAINFUL to sleep on it, I’ve actually been sleeping in the guest room to let my back heal from what this mattress has done. Any info on Cirrus Luxe-ES 13", Lexington or surrounding area mattress stores (and suggested mattress’s ) are appreciated. :slight_smile:

Thanks,
Winnie

Hi Winnie,

The first thing I would suggest is to read the post that is linked in my signature under each of my posts. This along with the information it links to will give you a step by step process that will greatly improve your odds of finding a great quality mattress but perhaps more importantly of connecting with mattress “experts” that along with the information can help dispel some of the marketing myths that are so common in the mattress industry.

One of these myths is that any material is “good for back issues”. Every mattress has two basic functions which are to relieve pressure and to keep the body and spine in it’s natural alignment in all your sleeping positions. It’s this natural alignment that is good for backs and any material that is used can provide this in the right combination of layer softness/firmness and thickness. A memory foam mattress that is suitable for a particular person using a certain combination of layering can work very well for one person with back issues but could aggravate back issues for the next person who has a different body type and sleeping style. The same is true of any combination of materials.

So anyone who tries to tell you that a certain material is “good for your back” probably has little knowledge of mattresses because it’s the type and construction of a mattress and how well it matches the needs and preferences of a particular person that is important. Materials are just a preference although it is true that no matter what materials are used there are better and worse quality/durability versions.

Memory foam as a category is generally more insulating and sleeps warmer than the other two types of foam (polyfoam and latex) but there are many types of memory foam in the memory foam category and some of these are cooler or warmer than others. There is more about this in post #6 here.

It’s also important to remember that there are many different factors in how warm a mattress might sleep for a specific person and it’s all the different factors together (not just the type of foam used in the top layers) that will determine the sleeping temperature of a mattress. There is more about this in post #16 here. When you hear about how only a single layer makes a mattress sleep cooler and the other layers or factors aren’t mentioned … it’s usually about marketing rather than education. Gel is not a “wet” feeling material and in most cases it’s infused into the memory foam itself in various ways which changes the feel and performance of the memory foam its added to.

If you mean the Select Foam mattress … then for most people the answer would be yes. They have made and tested these to have a similar feel using similar or better quality materials than Tempurpedic but any time when you are using different foam suppliers and matching the subjective “feel” of a mattress (there is both an art and science involved in “feel matching”) it may be very close but some people may feel some differences. They use customer feedback in their bricks and mortar store to refine their mattresses so that both the “feel match” and “design match” is as close as possible. There are also other manufacturers who will have a good idea of which of their memory foam mattresses may match certain Tempurpedic models (again for most people) because Tempurpedics are so widely available. The good news though is that if you are one of those who doesn’t think the mattress matches (no matter how many others may think it does each person has their own perceptions) … then they have a good return policy.

Mattress matching is much more complex than most people would realize and part of this is because the feel of a mattress is subjective and easily forgotten, part is because in some cases slight differences in construction and layering (including layer thickness) can make a bigger difference than many people suspect, and part of this is becuase there is much more to how any materials feel besides just it’s softness/firmness. There is more about “mattress matching” in post #2 here along with post #2 here.

Some of the better options and possibilities I’m aware of in the Lexington area are listed at the end of post #3 here.

Phoenix

Phoenix,

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my questions. I am looking to buy a mattress right away. One of the places I had visited last night was Wildcat Mattress’s. They had a king size Sealy Optimum Elation in stock. I was inquiring about the Sealy Optimum Desire (not Destiny, Desire seems to be hard to find) as I had been between that and the Tempur Pedic Cloud Luxe. I actually prefered the feel of the Optimum Desire over Tempur Pedic Cloud Luxe, BUT was concerned about the Optimum being a newer bed. This was all before I found your website and was looking at whether I picked Cloud Luxe or Optimum Desire, king w/ box + tax and del. $5,000. As I said I happened to visit Wild Cat Mattress last night, you mentioned them in your response to me today. They just called me and said they are getting in a King Sealy Optimum Desire next Friday, the price for mattress and box is $1300. In your opinion getting this mattress at this price, do you think it’s a good value? I’ve been trying to read all the differences in foams, gel and how many inches equal what. Honestly I’m a bit overwhelmed by it all, and it doesn’t help I need a good nights sleep. From what you have found about the Optimum Desire is it a product that should hold up, or is it going to start sagging in a short time. Any feed back you can give is appreciated. :frowning:

Thank you,
Winnie

Hi Winnie,

In the post I mentioned earlier as a starting point (linked in my signature) … there is a link to these guidelines and #1 in the guidelines is …

1. Avoid buying a mattress made by any of the major national brands such as Sealy, Simmons, Serta, Tempurpedic. While they are not all “bad” mattresses and some may even be good quality, … none of them have good value when compared to similar mattresses made by smaller independent manufacturers. NONE

Hopefully this answers whether I think you should buy a Sealy :slight_smile:

There is more information about the Optimum line in post #48 here if you want more information but i would avoid them … and any salespeople who were promoting them.

When a salesperson who is promoting this type of mattress tries to tell you the mattress is good quality (or if you ask them) … then just ask them to tell you the details of every layer in the mattress including the density of any memory foam and polyfoam in the mattress. Of course they won’t know which means that for them “quality” is a meaningless word because the only way to know the quality and value of a mattress is to know the details (including foam density) of every layer of a mattress.

Who you buy from and their level of knowledge and experience (not just marketing training that tells the stories they are told to sell) can be one of the most important parts of successful mattress shopping.

I would just follow the steps listed in the post and never consider any mattress where you can’t find out what is in every layer inside it … no matter where you are buying from.

Phoenix

After much research, shopping, reading etc we narrowed down our mattress selection and have just placed an order with Juan from Select Foam for their Cirrus Luxe ES 13". This mattress is suppose to feel like the TempurPedic Cloude Luxe, and should arrive via Fed Ex in 7-10 days. Can’t wait for the bed to arrive. I have to admit I’m a bit nervous about ordering without laying on it first, but their return policy made me feel more comfortable. Hopefully all goes well. Thank you Phoenix for creating this website and all your information. I would never have found Select Foam if not for this site and your direction. I’m looking forward to a good night’s sleep. Now off to shop for new sheets. :cheer:

Hi Winnie,

Congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

As you know … I think highly of Select Foam and the quality of the materials they use in their mattresses and I think you’ve made a great choice.

I’m looking forward to your feedback when you’ve had the chance to sleep on it for a bit.

Phoenix

I’m thinking of ordering the Cirrus Luxe ES and saw that you had also ordered one back in January, how is it? How was your experience with Select Foam?

Thanks

After months of research, we ordered the Cirrus Luxe-ES 13 back in January. Everything with Select Foam was just as they said it would be. No problems, no hassles. With that said, here is the thing to realize. When you go to a store and try a Cloud Luxe, who knows how long the mattress has been in the store getting broken in. 1, 2, 3 yrs? Anyway, when we first got the Cirrus Luxe it was so firm I was ready to send it back before the time frame was up. The first week I would constantly change positions all night. I was not used to nor did I like a firm mattress. I was continuing to mattress shop. HOWEVER, I had been dealing with SEVERE back pain for about 6 mths after 3 yrs of sleeping on a crappy mattress we had. I never had back issues, but the old mattress had always made my back feel uncomfortable, the last 6 mths were terrible though. After a week on the Select Foam my back pain was gone, which made me hesitate to return it. We ended up keeping it, and the longer we have it the softer it gets. I still don’t think it is fully broken in, but I can now sleep in the same position all night. I don’t have back pain, and it is very comfortable. I think the longer we have it the more comfortable it will become, and am very happy with it now and would recommend it, and would recommend Select Foam… I just want to make clear that when you very first get it, it’s not going to feel like the broken in Cloud Luxe in the store, but then again, neither would a Cloud Luxe straight out of the box. Hope this helps.

It does. My biggest concern was spending that kind of money without ever seeing or trying the product. But your feedback at least tells me they are a legit company. Did you purchase the White Glove treatment for installation and removal of old mattress? If so, how was the service?

Thanks you so much for your post. You have put my mind at ease.

No we did not pay for installation and disposal of old mattress. I didn’t know if we were going to keep it or not, and didn’t want to build frame, then break it down to send back, now we are building a house so I don’t want to build and break it down to move. So base and mattress have been on the floor, which may be some of why ours took longer to soften. One note, there was a freebie pillow set when we ordered our mattress. The pillow set arrived with no mattress, of course for the same reasons you stated I was nervous that maybe there was a problem. I called the rep (can’t remember his name right off) who I had been dealing with. He said I will call you back with info. I thought, “here we go”. Sure enough about 5 minutes later he called me with when mattress would be delivered and it showed up the very day, and time frame he said. He got a time frame for me because in January we were having some ugly weather here in KY. I was worried if I missed delivery the box would get rained or snowed on. Mattress was incased in plastic in box. Just another thought, by the time this mattress travels by truck from Florida to where ever you are in the heat it may soften a little sooner. I don’t know just a thought. :slight_smile:

Actually, not far from you, Cincinnati. Thanks for all of your valuable feedback. Good luck with the move.