mattress too firm - looking for a topper

Hi,

This site has been a terrific resource for me in the past, so I’m back for more guidance.

I have an encased coil mattress that is in great condition, but just too firm for me. I’m 6’1", 180 pounds, athletic build, and I sleep on my side. When sleeping directly on the mattress, I have a hard time getting comfortable and wake up with numbness on whichever side I’m sleeping on. On the plus side, my lower back feels great in the mornings. I have a 2-inch memory foam topper. This one…

When I add this to the bed, the experience is better, but still not great. I find the topper is too soft/squishy. My hips and shoulders just sink right though topper, like it’s not even there. I calculated the foam density to be 3-lb. I have tried latex beds and toppers before, but prefer the “sink-in” feeling of memory foam.

So, here are my questions.

• Is it reasonable to assume that a higher density memory foam topper would feel better?
  • If the answer to the above is yes, would 4-lb or 5-lb be better?
  • Do higher density foams sleep hotter?
  • Is plushbeds.com a reputable source for memory foam toppers? They do sell 4-lb and 5-lb toppers. Their foams are sourced from the USA, and they are CertiPUR-US (in case that matters).

If you’ve gotten this far, thank you for taking the time to read about my plight!

Hi kjm84,

Nice to have you back!

A 3 lb. memory foam topper is below the density I recommend and would not be good quality of this material. 4 lb. would be the minimum I would recommend, and 5 lb. would be even more preferable. You can read more about this in the durability guidelines here.

That would of course come down to your own personal preference and definition of “better”. A higher-density topper will be a higher-quality and more durable product. 3 lb. is a low-density topper.

Both of these would be preferable to your current 3 lb. topper (see above).

That could be a possibility with the memory foam, as there would be more material per unit volume and less air in the layer.

They do offer some higher quality products, but they advertise quite a bit online and often rely on “discounts”, so some of their prices can be quite high and I would advise you to do some careful comparison shopping when considering their items to make sure it represents a good value to you.

You may wish to take a look at the topper suppliers listed in post #2 here. For example, mattresstopper.com (from Brooklyn Bedding, a member here) offers similar memory foam toppers in 4 lb. and 5 lb. at about half the price.

If you’re looking for extra plushness, you may wish to consider a 3" topper in the 4-5 lb. range. If purchasing online, be sure to check out any potential return/exchange polices just in case your purchase doesn’t turn out as well as you would have hoped. Post #2 here and the topper guidelines it links to that can help you use your actual sleeping experience as a reference point and guideline for choosing the type, thickness, and firmness for a topper that would have the least possible risk and best chance of success.

Phoenix