Mattress topper cover / encasement

Greetings!

I’m wondering if you would recommend a dedicated topper cover for a 2" latex topper which sits atop at PBL Nature if I cover both with a Protectabed and a mattress pad. I’m thinking we could do it this way or put the protectabed on the mattress only, the raw latex on top and then cover the entire thing with the pad. Or, get a topper cover …and then where do you recommend that I put the protectabed and pad? Thank you!!

Hi Tahoegirl,

Latex can oxidize faster with exposure to air and ozone and ultraviolet light along with other substances that can damage it (see here) and it’s always a good idea for a latex topper to have a dedicated cover to give it the best possible protection and to help protect it from damage that can come from handling and maximize it’s useful lifetime. The mattress protector and the mattress pad would offer “some” protection but it’s always a matter of degree. There is more in post #3 here and post #3 here that will give you some sense of the effect of different types of covers.

If a mattress by itself is a good match for you in terms of PPP then all you need is a mattress protector that can be removed and washed on a regular basis to keep your sleeping surface in a clean and hygienic condition and to protect your mattress from the body fluids and oils and skin flakes that we release each night, help to reduce dust mites, and to protect against any accidents that can stain your mattress and void a warranty. The “ideal” protector would be relatively thin and stretchy so that it would have the least possible effect on the feel and performance of the mattress.

A mattress pad is thicker than a mattress protector and is normally used to fine tune the feel of the mattress and to add some additional surface softness. If your mattress doesn’t need any fine tuning then you wouldn’t need a mattress pad because they can interfere with the response and the contouring of the latex. Some mattress pads serve a dual function and can be used to protect a mattress as well (such as the ones that include a waterproof membrane) and if you used one of these then you wouldn’t need a separate mattress protector.

If you wish to use a mattress pad that is meant to change the feel of the mattress and it doesn’t function as a mattress protector and you wish to protect it as well then you can use the mattress protector over both the mattress pad and the mattress.

Phoenix