Mattress Topper For Plastic Dorm Bed

Hi! Just a quick question. My daughter is in college and her bed is one of the XL twin ones, very thin with plastic for protection. I would like to get her something to make her bed more supportive and comfortable. Do you think convoluted foam HD 36 in 21/2 inch thickness is a good idea? This is what the Fosm Factory suggested (as opposed to memory foam). Any advice is much appreciated! I don’t think I can locate what I want in my local stores, so will order on-line. Thanks!!!

Hi mnmeater,

A topper won’t make a mattress more supportive … only more comfortable. The support in a mattress comes from the deeper layers of the mattress. There is more about choosing a topper in post #2 here and the topper guidelines it links to that should be helpful.

The choice of which material you purchase would be based on personal preference (usually memory foam, polyfoam, or polyfoam) but the quality and durability of polyfoam depends on its density (see the foam quality guidelines here). Convoluted polyfoam can be comfortable (the convoluting makes the layer softer than it would otherwise be) but it’s also much less durable than a softer solid layer of the same quality material (see post #2 here). It’s a good “cheap” solution for those that need more comfort and pressure relief on their mattress or when durability isn’t as important a factor in your purchase.

Phoenix