Mattress/topper ideas for side sleeper

I am a chronic side sleeper. I suffer the usual problems of pains on my shoulders and hips as well as my arms falling asleep as the result of sleeping on my side. This causes me to have to turn to my other side numerous times every night.

I’m currently sleeping on an old standard queen mattress with a thin cheapo sponge/foam topper. It doesnt have near enough give and is simply too hard for sleeping on my side. My plans are to replace my mattress and topper for some newer, better quality components.

My new mattress would be a 700 coil firm queen. I 'm considering using a 3" thick, 5lb density memory foam topper and then above that a 2" thick fitted plush pillow topper. I hear that direct contact with memory foam makes the sleeper warm and that would be a problem with me. The pillow top I think would solve that and add more cushion if necessary.
Would that be a good solution to my side sleeping pains?

I’m 5’8" 200lbs. My wife is 5’6" 150 lbs. She sleeps both on her side and back though she currently has no sleeping issues unlike myself.

The expensive mattress route for me doesnt sound good. I’ve seen all types of mattresses go flat with time requireing the whole thing be replaced. Worn toppers are cheaper and easier to replace.

Other suggestions welcomed.

Thanks

Hi Orly,

The best place to start is with the Mattress Shopping Tutorial. The link is in the top right corner. It has the best info to start the mattress shopping process, which would also largely apply if you’re trying significant work with toppers.

As to your plan, there’s no way to tell if it would be suitable or not for your PPP (explained in tutorial). The only note I’ll make with it is that memory foam softens with body heat, and when you put a later over top of it you will change the behavior of how it works. Some people wouldn’t accept a layer over it, and some enjoy the feel with a layer over it. The only way to tell for sure would be your own personal testing.

[quote=“Orly” post=30778]
The expensive mattress route for me doesnt sound good. I’ve seen all types of mattresses go flat with time requireing the whole thing be replaced. Worn toppers are cheaper and easier to replace.

Other suggestions welcomed.

Thanks[/quote]

I would suggest you wait a bit to pull the hook, till you spend a bit more time researching here. There might be (are) other options for you that will fit your needs (PPP). You just might come to the conclusion that a new mattress with exchangeable comfort layers from a company that offers you a free layer exchange may be in in your best interest and just might save you money in the long run.

Right now i’m using a mattress provided by my landlord. In the near future i’ll be moving and needing my own mattress. The idea of getting a memory foam and pillow topper is appealing because I could use them in the meantime then take it with me when I move and use it on a new mattress.

My shoulders and arms are killing just about every night. I’m going to need some much needed relief real soon.

What concerns me a little is mistakenly going to thick with the toppers. I’m guessing the additional density of the 5 lb foam would help prevent that a bit. As far as the pillow top topper, I have my eye on a nice one that is 2-21/2" thick. Overall that’s 5-51/2’ of toppers.

I will continue to read up on the subject in these forums.

Thanks

On an additional note, I took a look at Brooklyn Bedding. They have a very novel idea. Question is which series is right for me? What firmness level as well? These mattresses look very promising. I may give them a call.

Hi Orly,

There’s not much more I can add to the great feedback you’ve already received including considering the option of a mattress with the option to make layer exchanges (or exchange the mattress itself at low cost) which can greatly reduce the risk of an online purchase.

Post #2 here is one of the links in the tutorial post which talks about how to make a choice that is a good match for your unique needs and preferences when you can’t test a mattress in person. This can be with a more detailed conversation on the phone and Brooklyn Bedding also has a chat service if you prefer it over a phone call.

If you do decide to buy a mattress first (and I would make sure that there are no weak links in the mattress before buying it) and then adding a topper then I would purchase the mattress first and then use your own experience on the mattress along with the topper guidelines in post #2 here and post #8 here to choose the topper (although this wouldn’t be my first choice because there are more uncertainties and variables involved in buying a mattress/topper combination that you haven’t tested in person than there are in buying just a mattress that is already a good match for you).

Phoenix