Mattress Topper or New Mattress

Hello Phoenix, I need some help deciding what to do. My (extra-firm twin spring) mattress that I’ve had since childhood is in good condition but is too firm after getting used to the foam mattresses in college (which I liked). The hard surface of the mattress puts pressure on certain points and while it is bearable when sleeping on my back, it is very uncomfortable to sleep on my side.

I went out and bought a polyester featherbed that has helped a lot. Problem is, the featherbed is a bit too thin and I can still feel the firm bed underneath. I was thinking about purchasing a thicker down featherbed, as the best sleep I’ve ever had was from a Hilton with exactly that, but I am not sure if that’s the best solution.

So now I am debating between buying a new mattress, or some sort of mattress topper (latex?). I will only be using it for a year as I will move across the country next year for graduate school and probably purchase a new mattress there. Arguments against the topper are: I want to buy some high quality sheets and I’m not sure how they will fit over a mattress topper. I may visit home a couple times a year and want to sleep well. I would also like the best sleep possible for this year.

I would prefer to buy a topper though as it would be a cheaper and less involved solution to a temporary problem, but I am wondering what your opinion is of how support and comfort will be, as it will go on top of an extra-firm spring mattress. Another advantage is I would not have to replace the spring foundation and bedframe as I would if I purchased a foam mattress.

What do you suggest in my case? I am 5’7", about 130 pounds, hot sleeper (hated the memory foam topper I tried a while back). Mostly back sleeper but like to sleep on my side occasionally. Budget for a twin mattress topper would be <$300 and for a new twin mattress <$1000. I am very interested in the best value for my money, but more important is deep refreshing sleep with proper spinal alignment.

Hi tesseraye,

If the only issue with a mattress is that it is too firm and there are no soft spots or sagging in the mattress and it’s still in good condition then a good quality topper can be an effective way to add some additional softness, “comfort” and pressure relief to your sleeping system but the only way to know for certain whether a specific mattress/topper combination is a good “match” for you in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP is based on your own careful testing or personal experience on the combination. If you can’t test the mattress/topper combination in person then there will always be always some risk and uncertainty involved in adding a topper because the specifics of the mattress itself along with your own body type, sleeping position, and preferences can affect which specific topper would be a suitable choice for any specific person on any specific mattress.

There is more information about choosing a topper and a link to the better online sources I’m aware of in post #2 here and the topper guidelines it links to which along with a conversation with a reliable and knowledgeable supplier (that can provide you with good information about how their toppers compare to each other or to other toppers they are familiar with that are available on the market) can help you use your sleeping experience as a reference point and guideline to help you choose the type, thickness, and firmness for a topper that has the least possible risk and the best chance for success. A good exchange/return policy can also reduce the risk of an online topper purchase so I would make sure you are comfortable with the options you have available after a purchase just in case the topper you choose doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for.

Your mattress would be different from most hotel mattresses and sounds like it’s probably firmer so adding a featherbed to your mattress wouldn’t feel the same as adding the same featherbed to a hotel mattress that is different from yours. As you mentioned you would be much more likely to feel the firmness of the mattress underneath a featherbed (or the down alternative fiberbed which you are using) than you would with a foam topper.

The choice between different types of topper materials would be more of a preference and budget choice rather than a “better/worse” choice and since you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a topper or know which type of material you tend to prefer there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved in choosing a topper to make any specific suggestions.

If I was in your shoes though and only needed a topper for a year … and assuming that your mattress is in very good condition without any soft spots or sagging … I would probably choose a softer polyfoam topper or possibly a memory foam topper if you prefer the slow response of memory foam vs the more resilient response of polyfoam (this would be a preference choice). A good quality polyfoam topper would be a much more economical choice than a good quality memory foam topper as well. If you are only using a mattress for a year then it may not be worth considering a latex topper which tends to be the most costly foam material unless you don’t mind spending the extra money for only short term use.

I don’t know the thickness of your mattress but there shouldn’t be an issue with buying sheets as long as the pocket depth of the sheets are suitable for the height of your mattress/topper combination.

Phoenix

Thanks Phoenix for your post. Since then, I have been to department stores and elsewhere to test various mattresses and toppers. I found that I like medium-firm, cooling memory foams the best but I am a hot sleeper and the last memory foam topper I tried was way too restrictive. I tried latex too and that was ok I guess. Felt a little weird and not that comfortable though, maybe I’m not used to it. It also felt a little hot too which worries me because I heard that latex does not sleep hot like memory foam. Lastly, I went to Ikea and tried a couple of their toppers including the Tvinde microspring topper, which was nice but a little thick and could feel the springs sometime. The memory foam topper Tussoy was ok too but a little firm. It didn’t feel hot but seems like lower quality foam? And it still may be hot at home…I was on the verge of sweating yesterday night with my fiberbed (down alternative featherbed).

I have not tried soft polyfoam toppers as you suggested (none of the stores I visited had them). In addition, online sellers of these foams do not seem to offer good return policies. Thus, I am deciding between the SleeponLatex 2" soft latex topper and Ikea Tvinde microspring topper unless you have a better suggestion. They are both around the same price and have good return policies. What would you suggest Phoenix?

Hi tesseraye,

Latex in general is the most breathable and temperature neutral of all the different foam materials (memory foam/gel memory foam or polyfoam) but there will be some variation between different types and blends of latex and some people can sleep warmer if they sleep directly on top of any type of softer foam material.

It’s not really possible to quantify the sleeping temperature of a mattress (or a mattress/topper combination) for any particular person with any real accuracy because there are so many variables involved including the type of mattress protector and the sheets and bedding that you use (which in many cases can have just as significant an effect on sleeping temperature as the type of foam in a mattress) and on where you are in the “oven to iceberg” range and because there is no standardized testing for temperature regulation with different combinations of materials but there is more about the many variables that can affect the sleeping temperature of a mattress or sleeping system in post #2 here that can help you choose the types of materials and components that are most likely to keep you in a comfortable temperature range.

In very general terms … the materials, layers, and components of a sleeping system that are closer to your skin will have a bigger effect on airflow, moisture transport, and temperature regulation than materials, layers, and components that are further away from your skin and softer mattresses or foam toppers will tend to be more “insulating” and for some people can sleep warmer than firmer mattresses.

Most people will already be familiar with the “feel” of polyfoam since it’s the most common material used in sofas and stuffed chairs. It would just be a matter of deciding on the thickness and firmness that would have the best chance of success on your particular mattress but you would also have the same uncertainty with other types of toppers as well.

The choice between different types of toppers would be a preference and budget choice so I would choose the the type of topper that you tend to prefer and that is in a budget range that is comfortable for you.

Phoenix