Mattress toppers

Hi All,

I recently purchased a 14" thick memory foam hybrid mattress from RMM (Rendevous).

Before it’s arrival I would like to get a waterproof but highly breathable mattress protector. Affordable wouldn’t hurt.

The following is what RMM sells - does anyone have it or have recommendations:
http://www.rockymountainmattress.com/bedding-covers/platinum-mattress-cover/

Thanks!
Anxious for better sleep

Hi NeedABedASAP14,
Post #89 here has more information about the pros and cons of different types of mattress protectors including the “membrane” type that Rocky Mountain is selling which are a popular choice with memory foam mattresses because they have little effect on the “feel” of the mattress, are waterproof, and don’t interfere with the properties of the memory foam.

I also like that it uses cotton which along with viscose/rayon fabrics would be my preference over synthetic polyester fabrics laminated to the membrane.

Phoenix

Thanks, Phoenix. I would want a heavy water resistant or waterproof as I’ve been known to spill things on my mattress before (my last mattress had a large wine stain).

Do you think the Elite Protector you mentioned at the end of the post you referenced might be just a tad better than RMMs?

I am paying so much for the mattress, I would both hate to ruin the feel of it and/or stain it. I want my new best friend to be around 10-12 solid years.

Thanks,
Soon to be a sleep machine

Hi NeedABedASAP14,

The Protect-A-Bed Elite has the cotton Terry on both sides which in theory would protect the membrane a little better and make it more durable. In theory as well, a little extra thickness may also have a slightly greater effect on how much it affects the memory foam underneath it although I doubt most people would have an issue here with either.

While I don’t think that any of these would have any issues in terms of safety or VOC’s … I also like that Protect-A-Bed has gone to the expense of having their protector Oeko-Tex standard 100 certified.

These types of products are so similar to each other that they are difficult to compare (you would need to have much more technical details about the construction and thickness of the polyurethane membrane, the specifics of the cotton terry construction etc) and this type of detail isn’t generally available or even understandable by most consumers but based on the specific details that are known I would probably give the Protect-A-Bed Elite the slight edge.

Phoenix

Thanks, Phoenix.