Mattresses made with unspecified materials

Hi Phoenix,
In looking for local (greater Los Angeles) mattress companies manufacturing double-sided mattresses I found a company called Kingdom Mattress in Paramount CA. I found a mattress store which sells their mattresses. I tried it out and found it extremely comfortable. BUT, in doing more digging I came across the following review of Kingdom mattresses on Yelp:

“I recently purchased a Kingdom mattress from a local retailer. Let me start by saying, their Diamond mattress is incredibly comfortable.
I loved that I could buy a double-sided mattress (which is hard to find these days) and it was made locally! But, upon reading the manufacturing label on the mattress, I discovered that 63% of the contents of the mattress were,“Textile FIber Waste of Unknown Kind.” I called Kingdom when I noticed this to ask questions. If they had compiled the textile fiber scraps themselves than maybe I’d be ok with it, but it was confirmed by their customer service rep that Kingdom purchases containers from “overseas” (their choice of words) that are labeled, “textile fiber waste of unknown kind.” So, not even the manufacturer knows what’s in their product.
I opted to return the mattress to the retailer since I had purchased the mattress for my toddler. There was no way I was going to let my child spend 20 years-worth of nights on ‘who knows what.’
The three stars are for the very comfortable locally made double-sided mattress and honest answers from their rep. But its only three stars because they use potentially unsafe undisclosed materials.”

It sounds pretty concerning, but I don’t know if I’m over-reacting. Is “textile fiber waste of unknown kind” as bad as it sounds?

Thanks in advance!

Hi Kiwi26,

You can read a little more about “textiles fiber waste of unknown kind” here and here. It’s basically a mix of cloth scraps and leftovers from various sources that have been shredded. It’s “unknown” because it contains many different types of fibers so it can’t be labelled as one or the other.

There would be nothing wrong with sleeping on a mattress that contained this if it was new material (the law tag should say if it’s new material) and the mattress as a whole was suitable in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences). To me it’s an innovative use of a low cost source material.

Your mattress appears to use different materials though (you mentioned it’s a latex mattress) so it may be a moot point anyway. A mattress is only as good as the quality of its construction and the materials inside it in terms of durability and value regardless of who makes it so knowing the materials inside the mattress you are considering would be be much more important than the materials used in other mattresses they make.

If the mattress is suitable for your needs and preferences (and you have done careful and objective testing for PPP along the lines of the guidelines in post #1 here) and it uses good quality and durable materials and is good value compared to other similar mattresses that have a similar design then that would be among the most important parts of most people’s personal value equation.

It’s always very important of course to make sure you test a mattress for your specific needs and preferences and then also find out the details of all the layers inside it so you can make meaningful comparisons with other mattresses and make more informed buying decisions.

Some of the better options and possibilities I’m aware of in the Los Angeles area are listed in post #2 here.

Phoenix