Mega Mattress Confusion (But Leaning Toward Jamison)

Hello all,

My name is Drew, and I need a new mattress. The one that I have now is starting to dip, is causing my girlfriend and me joint pain/cracking joints in the morning/sore muscles, is causing her allergies to flare up (we assume), is causing me to wake up in the night, and is just generally not giving us a good night of sleep. The old mattress has made it through a couple of moves, and is around 12 years old. It is just a spring-based mattress.

We live in Evansville, Indiana, and have visited several different mattress stores. We’d like to keep our new mattress purchase as cheap as possible, but have come to the realization that we may need to spend $1200-1600 to get what we want. The things that are important to us are:

-hypoallergenic
-reduces motion felt by partner
-comfy/soft, but not to the point that it’d damage our spines

We’ve looked at a Simmons BeautyRest innerspring mattress at Value City Furniture that we liked, but we’re a bit hesitant to purchase from a big box store (even though their return policy and financing is appealing).

We also really liked the Jamison Hilton Head and the Jamison Cloudwing, but we’re hesitant to purchase from the retailer (Dean Bosler’s) because they don’t accept returns.

Finally, we’ve tried a lot of different mattresses, and we’ve found that we don’t really like memory foam or latex as much as we thought we would (aside from the Cloudwing above).

Really, we’re looking for guidance through this frustrating process. We’re the kind of people that research a product down to the smallest detail, and come out with a “right” answer before we make a purchase, but with mattresses, it just doesn’t seem like it’s possible. Any advice? We’ve laid on probably…100 different beds, at least.

Hi turbocats,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

The “best” advice I can share is to make sure you follow all the steps in the mattress shopping tutorial one at a time which has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that you will need to make the best possible choices and make meaningful comparisons between mattresses … and know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

Jamison is a smaller independent manufacturer and they tend to use higher quality materials in their mattresses than most of their larger competitors and would typically have “better than average” value but the value of a mattress purchase always depends on how well it matches your specific needs and preferences in terms of PPP, on the quality of the materials, and on how it compares to your other finalists based on the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you. There is more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here and the posts it links to.

There are also some other options in the Evansville area that would be well worth including in your research as well. The better options or possibilities I’m aware of in the area are listed in post #18 here.

Phoenix

Phoenix,

Thanks for the response.

We’ve had a bit of experience with the local manufacturers here (Mattress Factory Showroom), and while the salesperson was very helpful and knowledgable, none of the beds really “fit” for us as far as comfort.

I’m going to be doing a bit more research, and I’ll be reading through the information that you’ve provided, but I have a feeling that we’ll end up going with this one:

http://www.jamisonbedding.com/product/hilton-head/

Have you heard of anyone referencing this mattress specifically?

Drew

Hi turbocats,

I haven’t seen any feedback on the forum about it no but I personally wouldn’t pay too much attention to other people’s experience on a mattress anyway because a mattress that can be perfect for one or even many other people may be completely unsuitable for someone else to sleep on so your own careful and objective testing using the testing guidelines is always much more reliable than anyone elses experience on a mattress (see post #13 here).

Having said that … I would pay significant attention to the specifics of the layers and materials in a mattress (see this article) and compare them to the guidelines in post #4 here (or post them on the forum and I’d be happy to comment on the quality of the materials) so you can identify any weak links in the mattress and make more meaningful comparisons with other mattresses.

Phoenix