Memorial Day sale

Any suggestions on all natural latex bed retailers with good Memorial Day sales going on?

Hi jahranking,

Better manufacturers and retailers donā€™t generally have ā€œfake salesā€ with large discounts based on the time of year or holidays (see the guidelines here and post #5 here). While they may occasionally have sales with smaller discounts or sell floor models at a reduced price ā€¦ I would treat retailers or manufacturers that negotiate their prices or have ā€œmajor holiday salesā€ at certain times with ā€œhugeā€ discounts as a red flag because manufacturers or retailers that sell good quality/value mattresses donā€™t need to negotiate or have ā€œfake salesā€ with misleading discounts to create a false sense of urgency as a sales tactic and they sell good quality/value mattresses every day of the year at good prices that are already very fair and reasonable.

If you think about it ā€¦ it makes no sense to overcharge customers for most of the year and only charge a reasonable price for a few days of the year. Most mattress sales are more about perception and creating a false sense of urgency and the illusion of saving money than they are about reality.

In other words ā€¦ if you are dealing with a better retailer or manufacturer that sells better quality/value mattresses then one time of the year isnā€™t really any better than another.

Many of the site members here offer very high-quality latex mattresses, and I feel they do compete well with the best in the industry in knowledge, products, service and pricing.

Phoenix

I am a bit confused. Based on your response you retelling me that I should not buy from Foam Sweet Foam whom I was seriously considering (or any other retailer that was offering memorial day sale). Why would you promote them, etc f you just stated it is not good idea to buy from a retailer that has sales. In fact, foam sweet foam has regular sales/coupons. So should I look elsewhere?

Hi jahranking,

No, youā€™re not completely understanding (and to a point misrepresenting, but Iā€™m sure not on purpose :wink: ) what I posted in my reply to you, and have written in other posts on the forum about sales events.

To help ease your mind and clarify for you or anyone else reading through this thread, and as was explained in more detail in post #5 (and the posts it links to) that I linked to in my earlier reply, the ā€œfake salesā€ I am referencing are those with artificially inflated ā€œregular pricesā€, where the discounts are represented to be 50% and above for a short period of time in order to generate urgency and drive sales. That is different from rotating coupons or smaller and legitimate discounts on special events.

From post #5:
[i]Better manufacturers and retailers donā€™t need or depend on mostly ā€œfakeā€ sales to provide good value to their customers (who often believe that the savings on a ā€œspecial saleā€ are real) and will generally sell their mattresses for ā€œgood valueā€ every day of the year. Sales that create a sense of ā€œurgencyā€ or a belief that a customer is getting some kind of ā€œspecial valueā€ or somehow did a great job at ā€œnegotiatingā€ the price are all about marketing and perception and not so much about reality.

Better manufacturers and retailers will occasionally have a legitimate sale with smaller discounts but they will be for legitimate reasons and for smaller discounts that are not subject to negotiation (see post #6 here).

For those stores who use the typical ā€œsales tacticsā€ as a marketing tool (and there is nothing ā€œwrongā€ with this as long as consumers understand that they are mostly meaningless and see the ā€œmajor mattress salesā€ for what they really are) ā€¦ sales are mostly rotating and ongoing, based on ā€œfakeā€ retail prices that nobody ever pays anyway (or at least should never pay), and only change in the details and the ā€œnameā€ of the sale. These larger sales tactics tend to be more commonly employed by some of the larger national retailers (50%-80% off every weekend).

This video and this video by one of the most knowledgeable people in the industry (and one of the members of this site) and who has a whole series of ā€œBeducational videosā€ that helps to educate consumers is also well worth watching.
[/i]
I would have no concerns with the Memorial Day promotion offered by Foam Sweet Foam (coupons in the 10%-15% range, which do represent a nice savings off of their prices), or any similar sales event. Discounts like this are not commonly offered and do result in some nice savings, should their products meet with your specific needs.

I hope that helps clarify my earlier response - sorry if there was any confusion. :slight_smile:

Phoenix