Memory foam comfort layer on dunlop support layers

Hi Bouven,

This is more of a preference choice but I think you’re right that in general Talalay is available in softer ILD’s and would probably be a little more popular as a comfort layer than Dunlop although there are more softer Dunlop versions becoming available in the market. My daughter for instance prefers the “feel” of Dunlop from top to bottom while I personally prefer the “feel” of Talalay.

This would also be a preference choice (assuming that the memory foam is good quality and suitable for your weight range). Some people would like it and some wouldn’t. Memory foam is very different from latex (see post #2 here) but your own testing and experience is the most reliable way to know which one you prefer.

Multiple thinner layers of latex in the same ILD (unglued) would tend to feel be a little softer for some people than a single layer of the same material that was the same thickness and the same ILD because the thinner layers would act a little more independently but some people wouldn’t notice any difference because it would be slight and the comparison wouldn’t apply to different combinations of material. Again … your own testing will be the most reliable way to know if you can feel any difference. I wouldn’t tend to focus on “comfort specs” that won’t tell you as much about whether a mattress is suitable for you as your actual testing and experience. The specs I would focus on would be the “quality” specs.

For most people it would feel different yes but once again some people may not notice a difference if the comfort layers were the same in both. There is more about the difference in “feel” between Talalay and Dunlop in post #7 here but once again your own testing and experience is the best way to know the differences that you feel.

There are many people who have mentioned that Talalay feels “jiggly” to them but it will also depend on the firmness of the layers, the weight of the person, and the components and design of the mattress.

As a general rule … questions about what you may “feel” on any mattress or combination of materials aren’t really possible to answer except in very general terms because each person’s perceptions may be very different and only you can feel what you feel on a mattress.

Phoenix