Memory foam density 4lb vs 5lb

Hi,
I’m looking for a memory foam mattress - I’m light (5’8" 140lbs) and a mix between back and side sleeping. I figured I only need 3" of memory foam given my weight. But I have a hard time figuring out if 4lb or 5lb density is better for me. I’m worried that the 5lb will be too hot and make it too difficult to move around in bed. But I’ve also heard that 4lb may be too soft?

Also, what is the difference between Bayer Softcel, Sensus, and Aerus foams - is there a noticeable quality/durability difference?

I’m looking at the Rocky Mountain Sundance 10" vs the SensusSleep 8". The memory foam layer is 3" thick on both, but one is Bayer softcel 4 lb density and the other is Sensus 5 lb density.

I’m also looking at Sleepwarehouse.com which offers a 10" mattress with the following construction:
• 3" Sensus 5lb Memory Foam or 3" Aerus 4lb Memory Foam
• 2" HR 1.8 lb 28 ILD Premium Base Foam
• 2" HR 1.8 lb 32 ILD Premium Base Foam
• 3" HR 1.8 lb 40 ILD Premium Base Foam

Which of these mattress would you recommend?
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Hi feelhong,

Hopefully you’ve read the mattress shopping tutorial which has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choices.

There are too many unknowns, variables, and individual preferences involved in choosing a mattress to make specific recommendations about “what” mattress to choose … only “how” to choose (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

There is more about the different properties of different types of memory foam in post #9 here and post #8 here.

The density of memory foam is the single biggest factor in its durability but any density of memory foam can be made in firmer or softer versions. Having said that, lower density memory foam will often (but not always) tend to feel softer for most people and in most conditions than higher density memory foam. In addition to this the thickness of the memory foam, how it responds to heat, humidity, and pressure, and the firmness of the base layer along with all the other layers and components and the design of a mattress will all affect how a mattress feels and firmness is so subjective and depends so much on each person’s body type, sleeping positions, and individual sensitivities that what feels firm to one person may feel soft to the next. It can be very subjective … especially with memory foam.

You are certainly in a weight range where 4 lb or higher memory foam would be a suitable material in terms of durability but the mattress that is “best for you” is the one that is the best match in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) and all the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

They are just different memory foams made by different manufacturers. You can make meaningful quality/durability comparisons based on the density of the memory foams but when you can’t test a mattress or material in person you will need to talk with an online retailer or manufacturer that uses each one to find out more about the specific properties or response of the memory foams they use or the mattresses that they sell. A knowledgeable retailer or manufacturer will know more about how their mattresses and the materials they use compare to others they are familiar with than anyone else.

Rocky Mountain Mattress has some videos here about the Sensus, Aerus, and Bayer memory foams that may give you some idea of how they differ.

Phoenix

Thank you so much for the information. The links are very helpful. I will reach out to the mattress companies for more information.

I see that Rocky Mountain is a member of your site, and I have also heard good things about them from my brother who has purchased from them before. How about sleepwarehouse.com? Are they reputable or has anyone on this site dealt with them?

Hi feelhong,

There have been a number of members that have purchased from them and been happy with their purchase. In one case here they even gave them a discount for being a member of this forum. A forum search on sleepwarehouse (you can just click the link) will bring up more information and feedback about them.

Phoenix