Memory Foam Density

I am looking at 2 different mattresses at Gardiner Mattress in MA.
I asked about whether they used a form of “certified” clean memory foam and density, per your guidance.
They responded promptly, telling me they use Certi-Pure foam that is 4lb/ft density. This is over pocketed coils.
Is that a good density and what do you think of Certi-Pure foam?

Hi samattes,

[quote]They responded promptly, telling me they use Certi-Pure foam that is 4lb/ft density. This is over pocketed coils.
Is that a good density and what do you think of Certi-Pure foam?[/quote]

CertiPUR is a foam certification that is used for memory foam and polyfoam that is designed to provide some assurance that any memory foam or polyfoam materials in a mattress you are considering have been tested to confirm that any harmful substances and VOC’s are lower than their testing criteria. You can see some comments about it and some of the other “safety” certifications in post #2 here. I wouldn’t use CertiPUR certification as an indication of the quality or durability of the material though … only about it’s relative “safety”.

4 lb density memory foam is a good quality material that for most people wouldn’t be a weak link in a mattress in terms of the durability and useful life of a mattress although I would minimize or even eliminate the use of 4 lb memory foam in favor of higher density memory foam or other more durable materials if you are in higher weight ranges (more than the lower 200’s or so). There is more about the quality/durability guidelines I would suggest in post #4 here.

I think highly of Gardner Mattress (without the “i”) and you can see some of my comments about them at the end of this post and in the Boston list here. A forum search on Gardner (you can just click the link) will bring up more comments and feedback about them as well.

Phoenix