Memory Foam Galore

So i’m tired of pillowtops and now I have a headache (from all the knowledge overload in the site), that’s a good thing.
So my wife and I have decided on 2 mattresses that we both really like, however, I don’t like the price and the “name” brand.

Tempurpedic cloud elite
Serta iComfort Directions ReInvention
http://www.serta.com/buy-mattress/icomfort-sleep-system/icomfort/reinvention

I have a couple of stores that I still need to visit in the St louis area.
Verlo: http://www.verlo.com/stores/MO/SC
https://www.stlbeds.com/
http://www.maplewoodcustombedding.com/index.htm

I stumbled upon the Select Foam store, as you recommend them, and I like that darn near have “mirrored” tempur.
http://www.selectfoam.com/cirrus-elite.html

So my questions are:

1. Has anyone shopped at any of the stores listed above?
  2. Know anything about the bedding that they sell? Going there this weekend to test drive them.
  3. Has anyone tried the selectfoam cirrus elite model and how does it really compare to the tempur.

Thanks for the help in advance.

Hi tired of pillowtops, stlbeds is a good place. They’re pretty helpful, attentive and if you just need time to test stuff out they don’t hover over you. Most of what I saw when I was there were latex and memory foam. A few innersprings, a couple waterbeds. They had several memory foam options (although I was concentrating more on the latex). Their prices didn’t seem too outrageous, both the savvyrest and pure latex bliss latex brands were more what I’d consider the expensive side but that’s the nature of those brands. Nothing out of the ordinary. I did make a phone call to ask questions about a week after I was in there, there was kind of a mad lunchtime rush - around 5 groups of people all came in at once - but the gentleman I spoke with was the same as the floor salesman and he remembered immediately who I was and who I was with, what I was shopping for etc. That told me he was paying attention and not just seeing everyone as a number.

Trying to think back, I believe stl beds had 4 or 5 memory foam models on their floor. A mix of ECO and Symbol Response, there might have been a sleep harmony as well. You might try giving them a call and asking ahead of time to find out what’s currently on their floor. Their number is 1-888-STL-BEDS. Can’t really comment on Verlo or Maplewood bedding, didn’t deal with either personally. The only other place I dealt with a number of years ago was the mattress firm in west county (watson rd and 270). Stl Beds was a much, much nicer experience. Hope this helps.

Hi tired of pillowtops,

Just in case you haven’t read it yet … the first place I would start your research is the mattress shopping tutorial here which has all the basic informtion, steps, and guidelines that you will need to make the best possible choices … and know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

Since you are in the St Louis area … and again in case you haven’t seen it yet … the better options and possibilities I’m aware of are listed in post #6 here with a brief description of what they sell.

This topic also has a bit of St Louis feedback from one of the members here as well.

This is one of their newest mattresses designed to approximate the Tempurpedic Cloud Elite which is one of their new models and I haven’t seen any forum feedback about it yet.

Phoenix

Thank you Brass and Phoenix for the responses. I have grabbed the information from the posts that you referenced and have read them multiple times, so I figured I would post to see what experiences others have had.

It is just hard, and I know everyone says it, to buy something you can’t try, which is why i am hesitant on SelectFoam. It’s one of those, who is going to try first, 1 2 3 not it…

Thank you for the post link (This topic also has a bit of St Louis feedback from one of the members here as well.) I have read that one yet. Interesting on the Verlo post. Not sure I want to drive out there if they are not as reputable and a rating of F. It will be a bit of a drive and don’t want to waste my time. I did try some research on the Sitka Gel Memory Foam Mattress, so it might be worth the drive to check out. We did try the Boyd series and were not impressed.

As of now, STLBEDS is the first choice with Maplewood Bedding as a close second.

Hi tired of pillowtops,

I would be very cautious about using other people’s experiences on a mattress as a guideline for your own choices because two people can have very different opinions and experiences on the same mattress and a mattress that is perfect for one person or even a group of people may be completely unsuitable for someone else to sleep on. You can read more of my thoughts about mattress reviews (as opposed to reviews about the knowledge or service of a store which can be useful) in post #13 here.

Post #13 here also has more information about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase that may be helpful when you are comparing mattresses.

I’m looking forward to finding out what you end up deciding … and of course any other comments or questions you may have along the way :slight_smile:

Phoenix

So I did my homework before i went shopping. Read all the required reading posts.
My wife said she had 2 stores in her. I pushed it to 3 while we were out shopping. Found out the couch isn’t as bad as the bed. :wink:

We narrowed it down to 3 beds.

1. The Verlo V5: Directory of Verlo Mattress Locations. Find a Verlo Mattress store in your town. $1400

2. A locally owned mattress store had their own beds made, from the story I got. $2400
    http://noctovasleep.com/products/10/orion/
    Noctova Sleep Orion Mattress Reviews - Memory Foam Mattress | mattressEXPOSED.com - Your ultimate online mattress buying guide

3. The online store of Select Foam - Cirrus Elite: http://www.selectfoam.com/cirrus-elite.html $2000

As stated earlier, we loved both the Tempur Cloud elite and the iComfort Decisions Reinvention, just not the hefty pricetag.

As you can see the price tags jump from $1400 to 2000 to 2400.

The Verlo is made in a shop literally attached to the showroom. I could see it through the door. I wanted to talk to the saleman to get more of the logistics of the foam, but ran out of time, kids were hungry and tired. Obviously the price is better than the others. Have anyone heard what the material is of these? He said these just came out.

I guess ultimately it would come down to 1 and 3. I just wish I had more info on the Select Foam one. If they claim to darn near match those of the tempur line, is that the feedback coming back from other models? Also, I guess I will need to reach out and see if a coolmax cover is available on it or if it is worth it. I will try and reach out to them tomorrow unless anyone knows.

My wife is giving me a hard time because I am such a research guy, she is just ready to buy. Hence why I am in charge of this operation. I just want to make sure I make the right / good purchase. Who knew mattress shopping would be so complex… oh yea, the minds on this site. Thanks again for such a great site.

Lovin the couch over the pillowtop

Hi tired of pillowtops,

I don’t know the specifics of the materials no but I would certainly make sure that you find out and have all the information you need about #1 and #2 so that you can make sure there are no weak links in either mattress and make more meaningful comparisons to other mattresses.

Once you find out the information you need if you list the specifics on the forum I’d be happy to make some comments about the quality of the materials in either one of them. The Noctova Sleep Orion mattress also says in it’s description that it is a match for the Tempurpedic Grand Bed which is a very different mattress from your “target” so if their description is accurate then it wouldn’t match the Tempurpedic Cloud Luxe. It’s also made in China so it would be worthwhile reading post #6 here as well so you can factor in the slightly higher uncertainty into the value of your purchase and I would also read this article about Mattress Source and Noctova.

They are transparent about the quality of the materials they use (the description of their Elite is here) and the design is similar to the Tempurpedic Elite in terms of the quality/density of the materials and the layering so like the Tempurpedic Cloud Elite there are no weak links in the mattress and for most people they would make a good quality/value choice but foam specs and quality won’t tell you how a mattress “feels” to you or how closely it compares to another mattress in your own personal experience.

Different people will also have different opinions about how closely two mattresses compare and there are some variables involved as well including whether either mattress has been broken in (a new mattress will be firmer than a mattress that has broken in), the temperature or humidity of the room (memory foam changes its firmness with temperature and humidity), differences in a mattress protector or your sheets and bedding, and the more subjective differences between different people’s perceptions because some people are more sensitive to smaller differences than others.

Having said that … it would probably be fair to say that for most people they would be reasonably close in terms of pressure relief and support/alignment but they may have some differences in “subjective feel” because of the different types of memory foam in each mattress which won’t have exactly the same temperature sensitivity or response time (some memory foams have a slower response time than others). There is more about the different properties of different types of memory foam in post #9 here and post #8 here).

In the end … the only person’s opinions about how close a mattress may be or how suitable a mattress may be for you in terms of PPP (whether it’s close to another mattress or not) is you and this is why the return policy can be an important part of the value of a purchase because if it’s “close enough” for you then everyone will be happy and if it’s not then you have the option to return it.

Select Foam has a free return policy (although you will need to buy a shipping box) but there have been some cases where their refunds have taken longer than they should have although I’m not aware of any instances where they didn’t happen even if they sometimes took longer than I would like to see.

Hopefully this will help :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Well that was less than useful. I called out to Verlo and he was not able to provide any information. All he said was there are 4 or 5 layers of foam and he uses a 4lb foam. He did say his foam comes out of Milwakee, if that is of any help. Made in the USA, not the china stuff.

Great, thanks. He was kind enough to have me come in and he would show me the different layers he uses and that he can customize the bed for me.

I also called out to Select Foam and talked to Peter. Nice guy. Offered up info I had already gathered and knew.
With the sale prices and discount, I would be down to about $1750. They are working on a new cover like the coolmax, but not available yet. About where I want to be. He said the cirrus supreme and luxe have reviews and to read those to see how customers are responding to their mattress compared to the tempurpedic model. Worth some reading.

That is the latest update. I will try and call a different Verlo store to see if they can offer up any other info, unless somebody else has info on the Verlo v5.

Hi tired of pillowtops,

Where the mattress was made or knowing that it comes from the US certainly isn’t very helpful and doesn’t provide the information that you need to know to make an informed choice about the quality of the materials in any mattress you are considering (see this article). They should be able to provide all the information that you need (they would either have it on hand or would be able to find out for you) but if for some reason they either can’t or won’t then you could either call another Verlo store to find out or if you can’t I would pass the mattress by. Buying an mattress where the quality of the materials is unknown is far to risky and is among the most common reasons for buyers remorse much too quickly.

Hopefully your experience is just an anomaly with the people at that particular store because it would be disappointing to find out that all the Verlo stores have decided to “join the mainstream” and become less transparent about their mattresses than they have been in the past.

Phoenix

Hello Phoenix and All,

I just got off the phone with Peter at Select Foam and have ordered the Cirrus Elite. Still hesitant on ordering online a mattress I have not tried, but Peter assured me that as long as I keep them updated on the progress of my thoughts on the mattress, and if I don’t like it, I can return it. So now the only problem is the wait. Look forward to posting good feedback on my experience / journey with Select Foam.

We tried the sealy mattress last night, one we have not tried yet. Of course we liked it, but the feedback of the big S’s and the research done here steered us away. We tried the tempurs again to ensure we liked the Cloud elite, and we both agreed. So, purchase made at Select Foam.

Only 2 more weeks of being “Tired of Pillowtops”

Hi tired or pillowtops,

Thanks for letting us know what you ended up deciding … and congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

I think you made a good quality/value choice and I’ll be interested in your comments and feedback once you receive it.

Phoenix