Memory foam? I thought I wanted latex... now trying to match

Hello

I have been doing a lot of online research and went with my husband to test out mattresses yesterday. We spent some time flopping around a lot of mattresses to see what we liked then worked on posture and pressure points. I was really surprised to find that memory foam was a real winner for us. My husband really disliked the springy-ness of latex. I didn’t mind it but memory was better. I guess that shows why you have to try mattresses in person. I have a few questions though:

We were only able to try mainstream brands (tempur and one other) and really only liked one tempur mattress (different ones each of course). Trying to not spend $4k on a mattress I’m shopping online- what does anyone think of the brooklyn bedding or Novosbed as a match? I liked the tempur-cloud supreme breeze while hubby liked the tempur-contour rhapsody breeze.

I am also a bit concerned about going with memory… It has some bad longer term reviews and I am also concerned about non-sleep bedroom activities. Would adding latex under the mattress help? maybe I could add a 1" topper on my side? How would that impact?

Thanks!

Hi rachelok,

I’m glad you had the chance to do some local testing and had the chance to find out the types of materials you tend to prefer.

Brooklyn Bedding has two mattresses that they compare to the Cloud Supreme Breeze and the Rhapsody Breeze and they also have a two lower cost models that they compare to the non breeze versions of both mattresses. Novosbed has a mattress that they compare to the Cloud Supreme (although it also has gel memory foam in the top layer) but not to the Rhapsody Breeze.

There is more in post #9 here about the different ways that one mattress can “match” another one that may be helpful but in most cases when a reliable manufacturer compares their mattress to another one it will have similar comfort/pressure relief and support/alignment but because different types of memory foam can have somewhat different properties in terms of their temperature sensitivity, response time, or how they contour they can also have a different “feel” that some people may notice more than others. Comparing two mattresses can be a somewhat subjective experience so different people may have different opinions about how closely they “match”.

The good news is that both of the manufacturers you are considering have a trial period with a money back guarantee and a free return so that you can assess how closely they “match” the mattresses you tested based on your own personal experience with little risk.

Hopefully some of the members here that have purchased one of the mattresses you are considering will also see your post and share their experiences as well.

There are a wide range of opinions about memory foam and sex but there is no doubt that memory foam can take some “getting used to” because it lacks the resilience and “bounce” of latex (or polyfoam or innersprings) and is a more “dead” material. There is more about this in post #2 here.

Memory foam in a suitable density can also be a durable material (higher density memory foams are more durable than lower density memory foams) but in general terms it isn’t as durable as latex. There is more about the variables that can affect the durability and useful life of a mattress relative to different people in post #4 here.

Adding latex under the mattress wouldn’t make much difference at all because it wouldn’t affect the feel or response of the memory foam on top. Adding a more resilient material such as latex on top though will give you a more resilient and “responsive” sleeping surface and will also affect the amount of heat that reaches the memory foam underneath which can reduce the amount you sink into the memory foam or the length of time it takes to soften and respond to pressure. This can help reduce any motion restriction with memory foam (some types more than others) and make movement on the mattress easier. With thicker layers of latex on top the “feel” and response of the latex would be more apparent and the “feel” and response of the memory foam underneath would be less. Thinner layers of latex will “allow” more of the feel and response of the memory foam underneath to come through. With one inch there would certainly be “some effect” but there are too many subjective factors involved to be able to predict how any specific person will feel about a specific topper on a specific mattress or whether any difference would be “enough” for them … or even whether they would be unhappy with memory foam for sexual activities in the first place. Each person and couple will have their own “style” and preferences and “adapt” to different surfaces in different ways.

Depending on their sleeping habits or preferences … for some people it can also feel a little “odd” to have a topper on one side of a mattress because of the change in thickness in the middle.

Phoenix