Memory Foam in L.A.

My first post of probably many. I’m looking for a mattress in the West L.A. area. I want a top memory foam layer over 5lb, not really sure how to stack up other layers, and where to shop.

I’m 215 pounds and want an electronic adjustable base.

I’m slightly insane because I’m moving to the Culver City area RIGHT NOW – on the plane as we speak.

So I want a good knowledgeable person to see me an excellent mattress. Getting one today would be nice, but it’s obviously a longshot.

I’ve been thinking about the Tempflow Gaia but they take at least two weeks to make.

Want a full bed, price range up to $2k, hopefully significantly less.

Hi Heimel,

The first thing you want to review is the post on how to evaluate a mattress to know if it’s suitable for you, and understand how to tell if the mattress is made from more durable materials that might last a long time. The post is here and has links to several other important articles.

www.themattressunderground.com/mattress-…-you-read-first.html

That does mean you probably want to put some effort into following the steps, which means not likely getting a mattress today. While not impossible to buy a mattress and have it delivered same day, that’s not usually the norm.

Phoenix may have some ideas as to where to shop, but until then reviewing the first post might give you answers to your initial questions :slight_smile:

Hi heimal,

Other than dn’s great comments and advice … the better options and possibilities I’m aware of in the Los Angeles area are listed in post #2 here.

The adjustable bed thread here may also be helpful in choosing an adjustable bed.

Phoenix

Thank you dn and Phoenix. Your replies are very helpful. What I’m trying to figure out now is: The Layers. I know that since I am heavy-ish I want the top layer to be 5 lb or more memory foam, but have not found on the forum what layers underneath would be recommended. Does this make sense? I moved across country yesterday and feel quite stupid.

Thanks,

Cynthia

Hi Cynthia,

In terms of durability I would tend to use 1.8 lb polyfoam or higher for higher weight ranges or for body types where weight is more concentrated in the lower body.

Phoenix

I’m interest in layers in general. Does a latex layer make sense? Every manufacturer promotes fantasy items like, I dunno, breezalicious gel. Thanks for the advice about the polyfoam, that’s very helpful. I’ve been trying to find the specifics about the different materials on the forum. Not so easy tho. I want to best bed possible, natch.

Never mind! I found the answers. Just moved cross-country so am fairly stupid. I think differential construction is the way I want to go. I had been sleeping on a 3-inch 5.2 lb topper and was pretty happy.

My only question is, differential construction seems to have three layers. What are the diffs between the lower two?

Hi Heimel,

I would keep in mind that differential or progressive constructions are just a concept and there is no clearly defined line between the two. It would also be somewhat relative to the person depending on how far they sink into a mattress. With some types of mattresses it wouldn’t even be possible to decide which one it was. I would avoid using theory or complex specifications to choose a mattress and stick with using the testing guidelines in the tutorial post. I would only use theory as a way to better understand some of the ideas behind why different mattresses fit some people and not others and read it as you would a good book not “study” it like you would a textbook or make the complexities of mattress construction a significant issue.

Most of the basics are in the overviews that are mentioned in the tutorial post as well.

Phoenix