Memory Foam in Minneapolis Area

My wife and I are looking for a new mattress. Several friends recommended Tempurpedic so we went and tried those out. We liked the Tempurpedic, but were a little worried about it sleeping hot. So, we tried the iComfort. The iComfort Savant felt good to us. I tried to do some research online, found this site, and decided to check out Original Mattress Factory and RestWell Mattress Factory as these are recommended in the Minneapolis area.

Original Mattress Factory only has 1 memory foam mattress, and it felt too firm to us.

Restwell had 5 or 6 different memory foam mattresses. We found one we like.

The Restwell mattress that we liked had this construction:

• About a 6"? base of Omalon foam (the sales person didn’t indicate the density)
  • A layer of “egg crate” style foam with the egg crates face down (the sales person said this gives the mattress a softer feel)
  • A 3" layer of memory foam - about 3lb density
  • A 3" layer of gel infused memory foam - about 4 lb density
  • A couple of thin (1/2"?) thick layers of standard foam and quilting on top

This mattress in a king size was $1299.

From reading on this site, it seems that 3-4 lb. memory foam is mediocre quality. For this price, is this mattress a good value? Do you expect it to have decent longevity?

My wife and I both weigh less than 160lbs so maybe a less dense foam would be OK for us?

Hi faby3003,

I would personally tend to avoid 3 lb density memory foam at least in layers more than inch or so (normally used in the quilting of a mattress). I would also want to know the thickness of the polyfoam layers along with the density if it was also more than an inch. Gel foam is typically in the 4 lb range and its quality depends on the type of gel foam that is used. Because gel foams are relatively new … there is not a lot of specific information about the relative quality of each type but there is some information in post #2 here about the different types and how they may compare in terms of quality. Omalon foam is generally a high quality foam (usually 2.0 lbs or higher) made by Carpenter but I would still want to know the density.

If there is more than about an inch in total of lower quality or “questionable” materials in the upper layers of the mattress that could be a weak link (in this case it would be the 3 lb memory foam, possibly the egg crate with unknown density, and the 1/2" layers of polyfoam also with unknown density) I would tend to avoid the mattress. The closer to the top of the mattress the lower quality materials are in the layering (and the specs you provided don’t give the “top to bottom” order of the layers) … the less durable they would be.

The “value” of the mattress would depend on what else was included in the price (foundation, extras etc) but it seems a high to me considering the weak links in the mattress even though some of the materials are higher quality.

I consider 3 lb memory foam to be low quality and the density of the polyfoam could also add to the amount of lower quality materials in the mattress. Depending on the specifics of the missing details and whether there was more than an inch or so of questionable materials (which it seems there is) and where they were located … I wouldn’t expect it to have “decent” longevity compared to better quality materials even though lighter weights can mean that lower quality materials will last longer than they would with higher weights.

I doubt I would seriously consider this … especially with the amount of missing information and the odds that there are too many “weak links” in the mattress.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

Thanks for the reply. Do you have any other suggestions for a memory foam mattress in the Minneapolis area? We tried a couple of latex mattresses at Original Mattress Factory, but did not like the feel of those.

It seems that Tempurpedic uses high quality materials, but you definitely pay for it.

Thanks!

Hi faby3003,

Did you talk with any of the other retail options listed in the Minneapolis list here?

Several of these have either memory foam or gel memory foam choices and would probably be worth including in your research for a memory foam / gel memory foam mattress.

As you mentioned … Tempurpedic does use good quality materials in their mattresses (except in their Simplicity line which uses low quality memory foam) but they are not good value when compared to other similar quality memory foam mattresses.

Phoenix

I went to PM Bedroom Gallery. The line they had in the store was some sort of “Eco” brand. I don’t remember the exact name of the brand. The sales person there was not very knowledgeable, so I left.

I also tried Original Mattress Factory, but their memory foam mattress wasn’t quite right for us.

Do you know if Restwell’s other memory foam mattresses are higher quality? The one I describe above was their most expensive option. I have sent Restwell an email regarding the construction of all of their memory foam mattresses, but haven’t heard back yet.

Do you know if the mattresses that Restwell makes for RoomandBoard are higher quality than the ones they sell at their factory store?

One last question - do you know anything about the Tempurpedic Weightless line? It appears that this line has a new, faster reacting memory foam material.

Thanks!

Hi faby,

That’s frustrating that you encountered a salesperson at PM Bedroom Gallery that wasn’t very knowledgeable (although unfortunately it’s not so uncommon in the industry). I would have hoped for better. If you phone an outlet first and talk with someone who is more knowledgeable and can answer some basic preliminary questions … then the “in store” experience can be much better if you ask for the person you initially talked with … and it can also save a lot of time and frustration.

I don’t know the specifics of Restwell’s mattresses other than what is on their website (and they don’t list foam densities). Knowing the density of any memory foam mattresses you want to test ahead of time can help you avoid “testing” lower quality memory foams only to find out they aren’t what you would want to purchase anyway.

I called RoomandBoard and their memory foam mattresses use Omalon as the base layer (which is listed on the site already but is a 2.2 lb high quality/density polyfoam) and the “soft” version uses a 1" layer of 3 lb memory foam over a second 2" layer of 3 lb memory foam. The “firm” version uses the same 1" 3 lb layer on top but uses 2" of 4 lb memory foam underneath it.

Interestingly enough … the 4 lb memory foam in the firm version is “rated” as 10 ILD which is softer than the 3 lb memory foam in the soft version which is “rated” as 12 ILD according to their spec sheets even although ILD has little practical meaning when it comes to memory foam.

I don’t think Tempurpedic has provided all the specifics of their new weightless line but this is what they list …

The TEMPUR-Weightless Supreme uses 2" TEMPUR-ES comfort layer (which is 4 lbs) and then they use a 3" TEMPUR-Float support layer (which is likely a softer more resilient polyfoam layer, possibly zoned) and then a 7" polyfoam base layer of unknown density (probably around 2.2 lbs if it’s the same as their other mattresses).

The TEMPUR-Weightless Select uses 1.2" TEMPUR-ES (4 lb) and the same 3" TEMPUR-Float support layer over the same 7" polyfoam support layer.

The “float” feeling, faster reaction, and ease of movement they talk about is because the thinner memory foam layers allows more of the performance and feel of the more resilient polyfoam underneath it to come through.

They use much less memory foam which is the most expensive material in their mattresses (the mid grade softer 4 lb memory foam is also used in the Cloud series in combination with more expensive higher density memory foam layers under it) and like the rest of the Tempurpedic lineup charge much more than comparable mattresses that use similar quality/cost layers. In other words … they are just as “poor value” as the rest of the Tempurpedic lineup IMO.

Phoenix

Dear Phoenix –

I was just wondering if you had learned anything further about the tempur-pedic “tempur-float” support layer. When trying out mattresses at a big chain, I discovered that I liked that the best out of all of the mattresses I tried. I didn’t feel like I had sunk so deeply into the mattress that rolling over or getting out was a chore.

Thank you!

Hi Tracieknits,

No, nothing specific … but some speculation. The introductory description here describes a layer of Tempur ES (which is their 4 lb memory foam) over the Tempur float support layer which is only described as a highly resilient material which could be some type of polyfoam or other resilient layer. This matches the description of the Weightless Supreme on their website.

The Weightless Select uses the same layers in different thicknesses.

If I had to guess I would say that the “float” material would be similar to Carpenters Avena.

This would be similar to a medium density memory foam over an HR polyfoam (or even latex if you wanted a higher quality material yet) and you could also use these same layers the other way around if you wanted a higher resiliency surface layer with the HR polyfoam (or whatever it is) over a higher density memory foam.

I actually like this type of layering (thin layers of memory foam over a fairly thin layer of highly resilient material like latex or the other way around which I like better yet). The problem is that with Tempurpedic … you pay way to much to get it and the materials don’t justify the cost of the mattress.

As a couple of examples … you can see something similar here (using Springtex as the highly resilient layer), and another example (The Bentley) here as well. Select Foam has two mattresses that are designed to approximate the Tempur weightless collection that use Springtex as their more resilient layer under the memory foam. There are many more as well.

The thinner layer of memory foam combined with the highly resilient foam (latex or otherwise) creates a feel that is in between latex and memory foam with a more resilient feel and greater ease of movement and a less “in the mattress” feeling.

Phoenix

Oh thank you for replying so quickly!

Do you think there’s any chance this could be somewhat similar? https://www.amazon.com/LinenSpa-Cashmere-Ventilated-Triple-Layer-Mattress/dp/B0063OQNO4/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top The price range is a lot more appealing to me than the first bed you posted, and I’m in upstate NY, which is pretty far from that Vancouver manufacturer.

I saw in a previous post that you didn’t like Lucid by Linenspa because of the 3lb foam, but the top layer of this one is a 5.3lb foam with perforations that kinda looks like the Carpenters Avena you linked above. I did like the tempur pedic with the float layer on top a little better of the two.

Tracie

Ok, now that I’ve completely hijacked this post, I thought I would add that I’m considering this mattress due to the extreme flexibility.

https://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Dreams-Eurotop-Latex-Mattress/dp/B008KQ8YZO/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1355675968&sr=8-15&keywords=latex+mattress

Do you think if I tell customer service that the bed I liked best in the store was the tempurpedic weightless select he would be able to help me choose the right latex layer? I like the idea of unzipping it and changing or adding a layer.

Hi Tracy,

I was using the mattress as an example of a type of layering (a thinner layer of memory foam and another highly resilient material) not as a suggested place to purchase (unless someone happened to be local of course). The idea was to give you a sense of why you may like the Tempur weightless and to help identify other similar mattresses you may like.

I don’t think so no. It has 5" of memory foam (the Tempur weightless has 2") and the majority of it is very low quality (3 lb memory foam). in addition to this … you can see the criteria I use for memory foam mattresses in post #10 here and the LinenSpa certainly doesn’t meet them. I would not buy uncertified Chinese memory foam and i wouldn’t buy any mattress that had 3" of 3 lb memory foam.

This top layer is memory foam which is a very low resiliency material (slow response) and would be nothing like the material in the Tempur Weightless.

[quote]www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Dreams-Eurotop-L...words=latex+mattress

Do you think if I tell customer service that the bed I liked best in the store was the tempurpedic weightless select he would be able to help me choose the right latex layer? I like the idea of unzipping it and changing or adding a layer. [/quote]

They would be more of an apples to oranges comparisons. The Ultimate Dreams has a latex comfort layer (the one that is replaceable) which is a highly resilient material (and much more durable than polyfoam) but there is no memory foam underneath it so the feel would be different. It is a very good quality/value mattress and as you say has great flexibility. Their choices are based on a softness scale which is not matched to any other mattress (and softness itself is subjective) but if your experience on the weightless or other mattresses indicates that you like “softer than average” or “firmer than average” or “average softness” mattresses, then this could be helpful for them to adjust up or down from what most people consider average even though the materials and mattresses themselves would be different.

There may be some options that are local to you that may have some good quality/value mattresses that may be worth considering as well or at least where you could test the “feel” of latex. If you let me know where you live in upstate NY (city or zip) I’d be happy to let you know of any I’m aware of.

Phoenix

I’m in Saratoga Springs (12866)

I saw a response that you gave to someone in Albany a while back, and there’s nothing close by except for chains and such. We also have two prius’s and can’t really drive to pick up a mattress.

I was going to buy a Chattam & Wells latex mattress at Metro Mattress until I came home and read all of the horrible reviews about that line and their utter failure to act on their warranties on many sources all over the internet. Apparently all of Metro Mattress’ brands except Tempur Pedic have really really bad reviews out there.

I went to Raymour & Flanagan, but they have no latex mattresses.

I may go to Macys and try out their latex mattresses.

I know I really really didn’t like the feel of sinking in the memory foam. I liked how it felt once I was lying on it and relaxed - I liked it a lot. But I absolutely hated feeling trapped in it, hated not being able to move easily on the bed and let’s face it, it’s hard enough to get out of bed in the morning without it being physically harder to get out of bed! I also can’t imagine enjoying any activities other than sleeping on most of those beds. That’s why the Tempur Pedic weightless stood out - it wasn’t hard to move on and it still felt great to me.

ETA, if it helps - I don’t want to sleep hot. I like a cool room when I sleep. Also, hubby and I are larger, between 210 and 240 lbs. both tend to be side sleepers.

There’s one organic place in Saratoga Springs but it’s a tiny store and I’d feel bad taking up their time when I have no intention of spending $3500 on their mattress.

Hi Tracieknits,

You’ve probably seen these but just in case … the closest manufacturers to you are in post #2 here.

Post #4 here has some local retailers that may carry latex if you want to test it. You would need to make a few calls to find out for certain.

Latex is the most breathable of the foams so it can help with sleeping hot. Post #2 here from earlier today talks more about the many factors that are involved in temperature regulation.

With your higher weights it becomes particularly important to make sure that any mattress you purchase uses high quality foams in the comfort layer. I would be very cautions about using memory foam under 5 lbs because of durability issues (such as is used in the Tempur Weightless Supreme that uses 4 lb memory foam in the top layer). I would also want to know the type of material that was used in any mattress I purchased and its density and thickness if it was polyfoam or memory foam as well. Buying a mattress that uses unknown materials can be a recipe for foam softening much too quickly with heavier weights. From a durability standpoint … and assuming you like its feel and performance … latex would make a very good choice by itself or in combination with other materials because it is more durable (and breathable) than other types of foam and it doesn’t have the “motion restricting” feeling because it is a fast response foam with very high resilience. Thinner layers of memory foam “in the mix” would reduce the effect of foam softening and give you more of the feel you prefer as well.

The key is always to know what is in any mattress you purchase and not to take anything (such as quality and durability) for granted.

If you do like the feel and performance of the Weightless series … then it may also be a good idea to consider an online purchase from one of the manufacturers listed in post #12 here. One of them (Select Foam) has a line of mattresses that has been designed and tested to match the Tempurpedic mattresses and uses the same or better quality materials. Most of the others would probably have a good idea of which of their mattresses was the closest match to any of the Tempurpedic line as well.

Phoenix

Thanks so much. I just ordered a Ultimate Dreams Latex Mattress - Full Size Ultra Plush from Dreamfoam on Amazon.com for my 12 year old skinny boy. I’m going to try it out myself as well and use this as a base to compare. If I like it, I’ll get the Dreamfoam Eurotop customizable one. If not, I will do the more expensive Select Foam.

I really appreciate your help and guidance :slight_smile:

Hi Tracieknits,

That sounds like a great plan to me.

Congratulations on your new mattress (or at least your son’s new mattress)

One down one to go :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Well we got the Dreamfoam mattress so quickly! I ordered it on a Sunday night, and got an immediate email from Chuck asking about what firmness we wanted. I had slept on a rock-hard foam mattress in Paris, and so we opted for an 8.

We got shipping notification Monday morning, and our mattress arrived in upstate NY on Friday! I am amazed it was so fast. The mattress puffed up to full size in minutes and my 12 year old is thrilled with it. The shredded pillow has a lot of offgassing right now, but my son really likes how it feels, so we have set that aside in another room to air out for a while.

I slept on the mattress last night - I told my son I wanted to make sure there was no offgassing, and to be honest, I didn’t notice any at all. I feel comfortable letting him have his bed tonight without worrying he’s inhaling any chemical residues.

I will say that I think for myself, I would like something softer. I still awoke in the night nearly as often as I do on my current mattress, and the mattress just felt harder than I would like. I keep going back to how much i liked how the Chattam & Wells or the select Tempurpedic felt, but I have no interest in spending that much money on mattresses that get such poor reviews. I went back to Metro Mattress and looked at the Chattam & Wells again. The top layer looks like talalay latex. Then there are two layers of memory foam - one seems extremely light weight and the other feels much more substantial - they called it gel memory foam. These three layers were over a foam core.

So I am thinking that I do want to get a customizable bed, one with a zipper in the cover so I can swap out layers to my heart’s content. I think I want to start with a six or seven inch foam core, a two-three inch layer of 5 lb memory form and a 2 to 3 inch layer of medium/soft talalay latex.

I made my husband lie down on beds at Metro Mattress. he did not like the feeling of being trapped in the memory foam either. He liked the feel of the chattam & wells. He likes my son’s mattress and would be happy to just have that too. He then said he really doesn’t care much, that he’s happy with nearly anything. Of course this is a man who slept underneath the catapult of an aircraft carrier for a few years on a garbage Navy mattress :wink: He can sleep anywhere.

I am going to email Chuck at Dreamfoam and see if they can do anything like what I am contemplating. I will also check out the other companies that offer custom configurations in a zip up cover.

Thanks!

Hi Tracieknits,

An “8” would be on the soft side for most people but latex is a very different material from memory foam (or its variant gel memory foam) and it can have a firm/soft more resilient feeling that can take some getting used to because it is a combination of soft (at least in the softer versions) and resilient and supportive at the same time. I can imagine your 12 year old being thrilled with it though :slight_smile:

A single night would not really be a good indicator for most people that hadn’t slept on or tested latex … especially if they are used to memory foam or softer polyfoam (which can both generally feel softer than latex).

Any foam can have holes punched in it but this would be where any similarities begin and end in terms of how they look, feel, and respond if the foam you are looking at is gel memory foam.

Lower density memory foams can feel softer than higher density memory foam or soft latex but they are much less durable than either higher density memory foam or latex. Gel memory foam is basically memory foam which has different forms of gel added to it. The gel can either increase or decrease the durability of the memory foam that it’s added to. You can read more about the different types of gel foams in post #2 here. In the end … the choice between memory foam (or its variant gel memory foam) is a matter of preference but either way the quality/density of the material is the most important part of its durability and of course value (higher density foams are more costly than lower density and quality foams).

Designing your own mattress generally takes a great deal of knowledge and experience about all the different types of foam, layering, and design and can risky … and costly if you make mistakes (and can’t exchange or return a layer that you purchased that turns out not to be suitable). I personally would suggest working with a manufacturer that already offers a mattress that is similar to what you are looking for rather than buying separate layers that you put together yourself unless you have already tested a similar mattress that has known layering and know exactly what you want and have sources for similar materials (although I suspect from your later comments this is the direction you are looking at rather than a complete DIY mattres where you buy individual components based on your own design). In putting your own mattress together the critical part can often be in the details (such as knowing the layer thicknesses or ILD that you want and knowing how the specific layers you are looking at will interact together). There are many more variables than most people would suspect and it’s generally much less risky to work with a manufacturer that offers layer exchanges that can provide you with some help and guidance about what type of layering may be suitable for you.

If you do decide to go in the direction of memory foam then post #12 here has some of the better online options and a list of all the members here that sell mattresses online are in post #21 here.

I think the feeling of “movement restriction” is probably one of the biggest reasons that some people don’t like memory foam and this is quite common. Having said that … there are different versions of memory foam that can be more or less temperature sensitive and responsive.

The Chattam and Wells is probably an example of this (a faster response memory foam) because from your description it also seems to be a memory foam mattress (gel memory foam on top with layers of “regular” memory foam underneath this which would still be more motion restricting than a fast response foam like polyfoam or latex but less so than slower response memory foams).

In the end though … the choices of materials is personal preference although it’s always important to make sure that no matter what type of material that you prefer that its quality is good (all types of material have lower and higher quality versions which will be more or less durable).

There is s also a lot to be said about a local purchase that you have tested in person but once again without knowing the specifics of what is in a particular mattress I wouldn’t consider it at all … either local or online. This means that I wouldn’t consider the Chattam & Wells unless you knew the quality/density of every layer in the mattress. Without this there is just no way to know the quality of your mattress or make meaningful value or design comparisons with other mattresses or even use it as a guideline for a mattress purchase.

I think this is a great idea but I would strongly caution against using email which is generally not a nuanced enough form of communication to really know the differences between your many options and deal with all the “it depends” type of answers that are so common in mattress design. Conversations with manufacturers or other knowledgeable people can be very helpful in making your best possible online choices but again if you plan to use the Chattam & Wells as a model you would need to know every detail of what is in it. Your conversations in combination with your own personal testing on mattresses that have known layering can certainly increase your odds of ending up with what you really want rather than a “surprise” that had different materials, feel, or response than what you were expecting. eamil communications are normally too “linear” to deal with more complex subjects such as mattress layering or design.

The key though is always to know exactly what is in every mattress you are either testing or considering for a purchase and the more personal reference points you have about what each material or combination feels like to you, the more effective you can be in making a good online choice.

Phoenix