Memory foam mattress help

Hi,
My husband and I are currently in the market for a king sized
memory foam mattress in the Milwaukee, Wi
area. We have been to various mattess stores in the area and so far have liked the feel of the Tempurpedic
Rhapsody and the I comfort savant (revolution); however, we are bothered by the price tag of the Tempurpedic and have heard that Serta uses lower quality foam. My husband also gets warm
easily while sleeping so we are looking for a mattress that contains gel. We have tried the verlo mattresses at our local store but did not like the feel as much as the Tempurpedic
or Serta.
Are there any local or online manufacturers that use high quality foam at similar levels Tempurpedic, gel foam, offer a similar feel to the mattresses listed above, and pricing similar to the I comfort or below?
Thanks for your help!

Hi tmw,

I would be bothered by exactly the same things as you are mentioning. Both of these translate to to poor value.

There are actually several methods of helping a memory foam mattress to sleep cool and gel foams are only one of them. Some of the other materials and methods can be even more effective than gel and how cool a mattress sleeps is the result of a combination of factors … not just whether it contains gel. In other words … I would tend to avoid making decisions based more on marketing “stories” which have “some” truth to them but are very incomplete rather than more accurate information. Gel memory foams can be an effective part of a mattress that sleeps cool … but by itself it is only one piece of the temperature regulation “puzzle”. There is much more about memory foam and sleeping cool in post #6 here.

[quote]Are there any local or online manufacturers that use high quality foam at similar levels Tempurpedic, gel foam, offer a similar feel to the mattresses listed above, and pricing similar to the I comfort or below?
Thanks for your help! [/quote]

There are many manufacturers that make memory foam mattresses that use similar quality/durability materials as Tempurpedic but have better value. There are also others that contain various types of gel foams (which would be comparable to other gel foam mattresses but not Tempurpedic because they don’t make gel memory foam), and that also have better value than either of these major brands.

In the Milwaukee area … post #2 here includes the better options I know of.

Online … post #12 here includes some of the better online memory foam choices including some of the manufacturing members of the site.

In terms of feel … bear in mind that a mattress can feel different to different people and the most effective way to know how a mattress feels to you is to test it personally. “Feel” is a very subjective and has many variables between different people … even with the same mattress.

With an online purchase … you will be going by “averages” which means that good manufacturers can help you with how a specific mattress feels to most people that have similar body types and sleeping styles but if you aren’t in the range of “average” in terms of how a mattress may feel to you … you may find that it can feel different to you than it does to most other people.

Hope this helps

Phoenix