Memory Foam Mattress in Maine

Hello! About 8-9 years ago we bought a Dormia memory foam mattress. we LOVED it for the first 5-6 years, then a couple years of so-so, and now we both have back pains every morning. I believe Dormia is now out of business, or possibly changed their name to Classic Brands or something. Anyways, we are looking for a new memory foam mattress but cannot afford a huge cost. Iā€™ve read a lot on this forum and have seen the recommendations for many of the online retailers, but I donā€™t think we have the cahones to order a new mattress sight-unseen! Honestly, even with a great trial period, Iā€™d much rather be able to lay on a mattress before laying down cash. So, having read the ā€˜finding a good mattress outletā€™ post, Iā€™m looking for a good smaller retailer in the Portland Maine area, or within an hour or so of there.

First, any thoughts on where to find decent memory foam mattresses at a smaller retailer? Is Portland Mattress Makers reputable? Any others near here?

Second, my wife is a side-sleeper and I am a stomach sleeper. What firmness, or foam density layer combinations should we be looking at?

Third, my budget is probably $2000 or less, ideally.

Any info would be great!
Thank you

Hi rossco17,

The better options or possibilities Iā€™m aware of in and around the Portland, ME area (subject to making sure that any mattress you are considering meets the quality/value guidelines here) are listed in post #2 here.

Portland Mattress Makers is certainly one of the local options that I would consider yes.

I donā€™t make specific suggestions or recommendations for either a mattress, manufacturers/retailers, or combinations of materials or components the first ā€œruleā€ of mattress shopping is to always remember that you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved that are unique to each person to use a formula or for anyone to be able to predict or make a specific suggestion or recommendation about which mattress or combination of materials and components or which type of mattress would be the best ā€œmatchā€ for you in terms of ā€œcomfortā€ or PPP or how a mattress will ā€œfeelā€ to you or compare to another mattress based on specs (either yours or a mattress) or ā€œtheory at a distanceā€ that can possibly be more accurate than your own careful testing (hopefully using the testing guidelines in step 4 of the tutorial) or your own personal sleeping experience (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

I would also keep in mind that assuming that the materials in a mattress you are considering are durable enough for your body type and meet the guidelines here ā€¦ the choice between different types and combinations of materials and components or different types of mattresses (see this article) are more of a preference and a budget choice than a ā€œbetter/worseā€ choice.

I or some of the more knowledgeable members of the site can certainly help you to narrow down your options, help you focus on better quality/value choices that are available to you either locally or online, help you identify any lower quality materials or weak links in a mattress you may be considering, act as a fact check, answer many of the specific questions you may have along the way that donā€™t involve what you will ā€œfeelā€ on a mattress, and help with ā€œhowā€ to choose but only you can decide which specific mattress, manufacturer, or combination of materials is ā€œbest for youā€ regardless of whether anyone else has the same criteria or would make the same choice.

Phoenix