Memory Foam Mattress Topper In Canada

Hi!
I am looking to buy a mattress topper. Our Sealy pillow top has flatten out, and the mattress is no longer as comfortable as a few years ago. It seams to be in good shape, but we need a bit more comfort for our old bones.

I have been searching for online retailers in Canada, but I am not quite sure what to get.

Here is what I have found so far

Sears Canada Queen 2 inch thick 349$:
http://www.sears.ca/product/memory-foam-topper/696-000820852-91770?gclid=CMPqkb_Z_70CFVgTvQodQ3MACQ&ef_id=UxFfrgAABE728TA1:20140427031414:s
The high density foam of the SEARS-O-PEDIC ®/MD Memory Foam Topper, conforms to the shape of your body for increased comfort and support. The non-allergenic foam topper is great for allergy suffers and ideal for the whole family.
High density foam
3.0 lbs per square foot
High density foam provides long lasting comfort and support
Conforms to your body for superior support
Non-allergenic foam is great for allergy suffers
Choose from three thicknesses: 2", 2 1/2", 3"
Made in Canada using domestic and imported components

Next from Costco at 209$ for Queen:
http://www.costco.ca/.product.100008183.html?cm_sp=RichRelevance-_-ensemblepageVerticalRight-_-TopRatedProductsInCategory&cm_vc=ensemblepageVerticalRight|TopRatedProductsInCategory

Features:
Sizes: King, queen, double or twin
3-pound density, 3.8 cm (1.5 in) NutraTemp memory foam top layer provides comfort and the ideal sleeping temperature
2-pound density, 6.4 cm (2.5 in.) premium base foam for added support
Two-layer, one-piece design
Memory foam provides pressure point relief
Helps reduce tossing and turning
Eliminates motion transfer and disperses your weight evenly
Promotes comfortable, correct spinal alignment and eases back pain
Memory foam is resistant to dust mites, and is naturally antimicrobial
100% hypoallergenic foam
Allow 24 to 72 hours for memory foam to fully expand
Memory foam made in the USA
Topper cover not included

And finally MFC at 369$ for 3 inch Queen:
https://en.memoryfoamcomfort.ca/memory-foam-mattress-topper.html:

Features:
AERUS 5 lb per cubic foot memory foam
free cover
CertiPur-US Certified Foam
Luxurious comfort with exceptional support, our 5lb AERUS memory foam is the highest quality topper on the market and will give life to your tired mattress!
This high density foam topper, has a texture similar to bread dough, and will instantly transform your bed into a body contouring, pressure relieving cloud, resulting in amazing sleep and reduced body aches.
Fits easily on top of all mattresses
Minimal off gassing and CertiPur-US Certified
Highest quality topper available
Relieves pressure on joints and contours your body for incredible sleep

These seem to be the best one’s I could find in Canada, could I please get your advice on these choices, or any other ideas you might have, to solve our problem.

Thank you

Hi JC9,

If your mattress is still in good condition and there are no soft spots, sagging, or impressions in the mattress … then a topper can be a good way to add some additional comfort or pressure relief.

If your mattress has soft spots or is sagging or there are impressions … then there are no great solutions but post #4 here has some suggestions that may be helpful.

While there are too many unknowns, variables, and preferences involved to use a specific formula or “theory at a distance” based on specs (either yours or the mattress you have) to recommend a topper with any certainty of success … post #2 here and the topper guidelines it links to can help you use your sleeping experience on your mattress as a reference point for choosing a topper that has the best chance of working well for you.

Outside of the topper sources that are linked there … post #21 here also has some of the better options I’m aware of that can ship throughout Canada and many of them sell toppers as well.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix!

Thank you for your help, this website has a lot (maybe too much) information… lol

We decided to buy the costco mattress topper, but after using it for a few weeks, we decided to return it. It was too soft, we felt trapped in our bed, and it also had a smell that we did not like. We are back looking at other options to solve our problem of sore bones. Do you think that a latex topper would be a better choice for us? If so what do you recommend?

thank you

Hi JC9,

The choice of materials is a preference and not a “better/worse” choice. Latex is a great material for someone who likes the way it feels and performs and it’s a very high quality and durable material but like anything else each person has different preferences so for those who like latex it can be a great choice in a suitable thickness and softness and for those who don’t it wouldn’t be.

Unfortunately I can’t feel what someone else feels and I don’t have nearly enough information about either you, the mattress the topper is going on, the specifics of the topper you tried, or any specific reference points based on your symptoms when you slept on the topper that can act as pointer to make specific recommendations outside of the more general guidelines that are in the posts I linked in my last reply that are based on your actual sleeping experience and personal preferences. For example I don’t know if you had any specific symptoms with your topper or if it was just a general sense that it felt too soft for you (which isn’t surprising with a 4" topper).

The most specific suggestion I could make would be to use a thinner topper using the guidelines to help you choose the thickness and softness that you think would have the best chance to work for you. A topper in the 2" or 3" range would be more of an “average” choice.

Since you were already considering them … it may be worth talking to Memory Foam Canada about their Flop Top topper since it gives you two options by using either one side up or the other (either the slower response feel of memory foam or the faster response and more resilient feel of the Energia).

Regardless of what you choose I would suggest something thinner than the one you tried.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix!.

We decided to take your advice, and go with MFC’s fliptopper. So far we have used it only 3 nights, but my honey and I really like it. It’s a different foam mattress topper because it has 2 sides to it. One side is blue memory foam, and the orange side is like a rubber foam for a total of 3 inches thick.
The first night we slept on the blue side, which was too soft for us. The next night, we turned it over on the orange side and this one we really like. Its very soft on our bones, and has good support. My wife has not complained about any heat issues, so that’s a plus for our marriage!
We are happy to have found a solution to our comfort issues, thank you for your marvelous website and taking the time to address our concerns.

Sincerely
JC :slight_smile:

Hi JC9,

Thanks for the update … and it’s great to hear that the topper is working well for you. :slight_smile:

Phoenix