Memory foam mattress topper (& MF mattresses?) - I am sick from VOCs

Very interesting. Essentia has a great ‘defensive’ strategy when it comes to batting away the balls of doubt, and creating new ones for other products, case in point, the ‘facts’ about wool and why they don’t have any in their mattress.

Bottom line, wool absorbs and regulates moisture, is not an excellent home for dust mites, and is not folded between the different foam layers of another brand of mattress. That is what your posts have led me to believe. In terms of it being non-allergenic, I can see how organic wool might behave differently, if not in direct contact with skin.

It’s strange that when I spoke to the Essentia rep, she said that basically their mattresses doesn’t burn, therefore, they didn’t need the wool. Haha. And you just said that they have a fire retardant barrier built into their mattresses? What part of the mattress is this located in? The very outer layer? Like a chocolate coated cookie or something? And you say that they do in fact use Dunlop AND the Talalay latex, but the Dunlop is located in the interior of the mattress, producing the structure and stability, and their Talalay exterior is made of the mixed stuff, making the ‘memory foam’? That would mean they have a combo of good stuff and not so good stuff, meaning, that they would have to use some synthetic compounds to make the Talalay…correct? At this point, anything with ‘memory foam’ attached to it is scary enough for me as it is, since that is what got me here. So just the mention of this makes me suspicious.

Thanks for your knowledge.

Hi 1whitehorse1,

They use a Kevlar fire barrier that is part of the cover (see here) which is how it passes the fire regulations.

They don’t use Talalay at all (you were given incorrect information)… just Dunlop.

There is more about the different types and blends of latex in post #6 here. Unlike the misinformation on their site indicates … there is Talalay latex available that uses 100% natural rubber (no synthetic rubber) but they don’t use it.

Phoenix

Oh, I guess the rep and/or I confused the Talalay with the Dunlop. Yes, I went to their site, and there is a layer of the mattress that has the dunlop slab of latex in there. The other slabs don’t mention or label the process.

And yes, she mentioned something about the Kevlar, except I couldn’t visualize where that would have been used when referring to ‘exterior’. So they actually weave Kevlar into the organic cotton cover? I’m confused as to where the Kevlar is located exactly, it doesn’t really say on the ‘fire retardant’ section of the site. What are the health effects of Kevlar? Is that a toxic material? They claim it is an inert substance, no VOCs.

Just as an observer of this thread, I’m wondering why you are even still considering this company? They’ve blatantly misled you, and as Pheonix said, there are other companies out there who use the same materials for much less money.

Hi Benstark,

I guess I am trying to glean all the information which would disqualify this company from my consideration. I want to know why exactly I am crossing them off my list. And because they seem to have put out some incorrect and inaccurate claims, I wanted to know more. I haven’t tried any of these brands yet, so it will also come down to comfort, and price if that’s even flexible. Price is the last thing on my list, because safety is number one, and comfort is a very close second.

I personally don’t think they are a terrible company or a terrible product, from what I can see thus far. I just don’t know if they’re right for me. I do plan to investigate Dormio, and the options at SOMA organic, like Obasan, and Green Sleep. They’re very different products and I’m sure there will be things that I will like and dislike as I go through trying them out, things that won’t necessarily be related to their natural-ness.

But I am starting with safety, and learning all the aspects and components that make up this picture are part of the inquiry I am currently engaging in.

Hi 1whitehorse1,

No … it would be “sock” that surrounds the interior components of the mattress and then the cover goes over this.

While it’s certainly a synthetic material (the same material that is used in bulletproof vests) I wouldn’t consider it to be toxic no. There is more about “safe” fire barriers in post #2 here and post #4 here and in post #13 here.

There is also an MSDS for kevlar here.

They don’t specify any further details about their fire barrier or whether it is all kevlar or just contains kevlar and includes other materials as well.

I share the same thoughts as well.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

Thanks, yes, I saw the ‘sock’ on the diagrams they had on their Essentia site. Makes sense.

Just out of curiosity, what kind of bed to you sleep on, Phoenix? :slight_smile:

Or has someone already asked you that :wink:

Hah, the MSDS for Kevlar states that fibrils of the material, if inhaled will cause lung damage. So I guess it’s not better than wool in this case. It says you should use a ventilator or respirator if you are handling large quantities of it. I wonder what the MSDS sheet says for wool fibers? Are we comparing apples with apples? I wonder.

Oh, and the Essentia rep mentioned that in the case of the Kevlar burning, it would release some toxic gases, as is reflected in the MSDS sheet, but less than the typical toxic mattresses treated with toxic flame retardants.

Very interesting.

Hi 1whitehorse1,

Any high concentration of dust particles can cause mechanical irritation to the lungs but this would apply to the factory workers that make the Kevlar and not to the final use product that is used by consumers that would never be exposed to anything close to the level of dust particles from the Kevlar fabric that could cause any harm. Even drinking too much water can be harmful :slight_smile:

It’s been asked many times. You can see the details here.

Phoenix

True true. Inhaling a cloud of baking soda would not be beneficial either. For example.

I guess I’ve located some decent and healthy choices in Dormio, Green Sleep and Obasan. I’ll have to try 'em out to see what feel really works for me. I am used to sleeping on a box spring with a decent pillow top, so something soft, because I am a side sleeper, and so is my boyfriend, who has wide shoulders, and complains if there is anything ‘pinching’ his shoulder. It cannot be too firm. But, it has to be supportive enough not to give me lower back pain, which I am prone to. Soft but supportive and durable is what I am looking for at the end of the day.

I noticed you had issues viewing the dormio youtube videos. I don’t think you’ll find any more info that you don’t already know, but I found them directly on youtube by searching for “dormio mattress”.

Looks like they were all posted by the same user: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCs3D6uSoYoMQzZmO80ZlkYQ

Good luck in your search!

Hi 1whitehorse1,

Careful testing is always an important part of a local purchase but I would keep in mind that “feel” is very subjective and going by the “showroom feel” or by the “subjective comfort” of a mattress alone can lead to choices that can have a lower chance of success than random chance alone (see post #4 here).

Phoenix

Thanks sidesleeper, the video did work, but you’re right, most of that info is written on their site.

Phoenix: I am such a bad tester, lol. It took me over an hour the first time I bought my first adult mattress. The woman at the Sleep Country in 2006 was really helpful and told me which mattress showed my back being most aligned, and to trust my instinct about a softer mattress for me as a side sleeper. I don’t think she works there any more :wink: But it sounds like the people at SOMA are well versed in posture and alignment, and all that. When I was in Sleep Country this year trying to find some suitable replacement for my initial badly structured purchase on a warranty exchange, nobody was so helpful as that time. They just chased me for my money. And I hate that pressure. it makes me skittish and angry and then I can’t focus on loving a bed. I just think about them watching me and waiting for me to decide and spend money. I really really hate that. Next time someone pressures me, I’ll be like, I don’t want to be pressured or I’m not going to be able to decide and I am outta here!!!

Hi 1whitehorse1,

Unfortunately this is typical of most chain stores who are more focused on “sales techniques” than they are on helping their customers make the most suitable choice. As sad as it may be … if you have spent more than an hour or two on this site you will probably know more meaningful information about mattresses and the materials inside them than most of the salespeople in mainstream stores that sell them.

Phoenix

Thanks Phoenix, I looked through your testing tips, like assessing for pressure relief, and posture and alignment, and personal preferences, for safety and no chemical and allergic reaction. I think I am working out the latter right now, and then when I’m in the store I can asses the two former. I already know that natural latex is durable, and more so than conventional box spring/foam mattresses that I have now.

Phoenix, I have a tricky question for you: my boyfriend is a side and back sleeper who likes a soft mattress so his shoulders are not pinched, since he has quite wide shoulders. He also has a bad case of carpal tunnel that is now resurfacing again after a lot of activity at work - he works in IT and is at a computer desk pretty much all the time, even at home in the later evening doing personal things. …have you ever heard of carpal tunnel being aggravated by sleep? Or is it just through the tension of the hand tendon through too much time clicking with the mouse? I have never had carpal tunnel myself, even though I work at a computer all day as well. My thoughts are that everything is connected, and it is possible that his shoulder during sleep might be able to impact his hand tendons during the day? I might research this more.

Hi Phoenix, everyone,

I received a reply back from LUCID aka Malouf Marketing. Factory states the toppers are 100% polyurethane.

I tracked down the headquarters of Malouf Marketing Inc. company - president is Samuel B Malouf - the umbrella company seems to be named CVB Inc. based in Logan, UT. Information below:

http://www.manta.com/c/mmd5xr9/cvb-inc

Just left a message with his receptionist, just name and number.

I guess I will wait to see if he calls me back.

I have just filed a complaint with the BBB of United States, since the company is based in Utah.

***EDIT: In fairness to the company (Lucid/Malouf Marketing Inc.), I decided to make this edit to say that they offered to refund me the money after speaking them over the phone, and apologized if their website had misled me in any way to believe the mattress topper was made of something it wasn’t. Their product is not ‘bad’ for the entire population, just for some people, like me. I must also add that after becoming ill from VOC exposure/toxicity, I must also include under my suspicion, both of the Twin XL Simmons and Sealy mattresses that were bought just prior to purchasing the Lucid mattress topper - both mattresses are made of some kind of polyurethane foam and/or memory foam, and both emit a chemical smell. I am most likely one of the few people in the population that is especially chemically sensitive to VOCs and industrial glues, agents, flame retardants, etc. and just because I have had a bad reaction to this/these product/s does not rule it out from anyone else purchasing it and not having a problem with it.

***I would just like to say: if you have a history of being allergic or reactive to industrial chemicals like cleaners, emissions, or anything with offensive vapors and chemicals, like generic home cleaning solutions or cleaning sprays or air fresheners or detergents or soaps, for example, then I would strongly urge you to rethink purchasing ANY mattress product with “memory foam” or any kind of industrial polyurethane foam product. Even though you can’t smell the sources of all VOCs, your reaction and natural aversion to the above things are, in my opinion, a good indicator of your chemical sensitivity.

Hi 1whitehorse,

I think you may be wasting your time and energy.

Based on the contents of your email I doubt that any manufacturer would take you seriously because they are selling a mattress that meets all the safety regulations in the US and is also CertiPur certified and some of what you are saying is just factually incorrect and exaggerated.

I can certainly sympathize with you because of your experiences and it’s also true that some people can be very sensitive to some of the chemicals that are used to make some types of memory foam (and I had a similar experience with a different manufacturer) and would do best to avoid them … this is also true for other types of material as well.

I think you are confusing a personal issue that you are sensitive to certain types of materials with a broader safety or legal issue and there would be little they can do to help you or satisfy this type of complaint.

If you believe that all memory foam should be banned then your efforts may be better directed towards changing the regulations that allow them to be sold in the first place rather than any individual manufacturers of memory foam mattresses because the issues you are concerned with would apply to the whole industry.

Phoenix

I just spoke to someone from Malouf Marketing / CVB Inc. on the phone, named Steve. He will be issuing me a full refund. He said there’s ‘nothing they can do’ for any medical bills arising from this illness. He also said that some of their products contain latex/gel/charcoal, but not all do, and not the memory foam. In my opinion, this is not made clear on the Lucid site.

I pointed out to him that even though he claims the foam is centi-pure certified for low VOCs it doen’t mean its a natural product and it still contains VOCs…and in no way does it contain latex/charcoal/gel.

I am still upholding my BBB complaint for the misleading information on their product page.

***EDIT: after Lucid offering to give me a full refund and their apology for my bad experience, I will likely not pursue the BBB complaint.