memory foam mattress woes

First of all I would like to commend you for all the useful info that you have posted out on the forum, great job.

I am looking to buy a memory foam mattress but am horribly confused as to which one. My budget is around $1500. I am a normal weight/height person with no back issues but do want a firm/hard mattress. I liked the icomfort insight by Serta (went to a store to check it out) but later read at the forum that it’s not of good quality. Sam’s club has it for $1400 but with a free box spring and a $200 coupon. That basically gets it cost down close to $1000. What do you think of the cost versus value at that price point?

I want a superior product that is of good quality. I also want to be able to try it before buying it. The problem with most websites is that they dont have a real store and you cant try the product. Also a place like Costco or Sams club wouldn’t have a selection to try in the store. I ended up going to one only to be dissappointed later on ( no mattress in store). I live in Chicago.

Please help. I don’t have a lot of time to do more research and need to buy one sooner than later.

Thanks,

Hi gb,

The first place I would start is post #1 here and the information it links to. I would make sure that you read this before considering any purchase from Costco or any big box store which may not provide all the information you need about a mattress and knows little about which of their mattresses may be suitable for different body types and sleeping positions. you can read more of my thoughts about the big box stores and some of the risks with dealing with them in post #4 here.

I would certainly not consider purchasing a mattress where you do’t know the details about what is in it or where you weren’t sure about whether the mattress was suitable for your needs and preferences in terms of what I call PPP (Pressure relief, Posture and alignment, and Personal preferences).

Even at this price I wouldn’t consider the insight to be particularly good value. It has 3" of medium quality particulate gel memory foam (which is not the best gel memory foam) and the base layer is 1.5 lb polyfoam which is typically found in lower priced mattresses than the price you would be paying.

The better options available to you in the Chicago area are listed in posts #2 and #4 here. One of these (Quality Sleep / My Green Mattress) is a member of this site which means I consider them to be among best quality and value in the country. In terms of quality/value, I wouldn’t hesitate to buy any of the mattresses they make and if you are in a hurry I would go there and work with Tim or any of his staff to choose the one that most closely matches your needs and preferences. You won’t find any better “value” in Chicagoland IMO and perhaps best of all they have the knowledge and expertise to help guide and educate you about each mattress and help you make the best possible choice based on what is in your best interests rather than their profit margin.

You are fortunate to have such a great option so close by where the value is great, they have a wide selection of materials and options in all budget ranges, and you can personally test the mattress before you buy it.

Phoenix