Memory foam mattress

I’m currently mattress shopping for a memory foam mattress. I’ve tried a few such as the temperpedic cloud breeze and the allure. They are very comfortable but also very expensive. I’ve also read memory mattresses sleep hot. I’m looking for a little help in finding cheap and cooler sleeping alternatives. Are there local manufactures in Houston?

Thanks for your help.

Thomas

A few more details: we are looking for a king size bed priced under 2k. For what we have seen medium to firm is ideal. An a cool sleep is desired.

Thomas

Hi Taoliver,

There are some very good local options in Houston for memory foam mattresses and they are listed in post #2 here.

If for any reason you decide to buy online then some of your better options are listed in post #12 here but I would personally only go in this direction if an “apples to apples” comparison was in the range of 20% to 25% less (as a rough guideline) than a local purchase because of the additional risk of purchasing a mattress that you have never tested. The actual percentage that each person may use as being roughly equivalent value would depend on the individual and would depend on their “risk tolerance” for an online purchase and any return or exchange options that was provided by an online merchant.

Your budget is plenty for a good quality memory foam mattress IMO and I would talk with each manufacturer or retailer you work with so that they can help you know more about the specific types and quality of the materials and layers they use and how well their mattresses will meet your criteria.

Phoenix

Thanks for the info Phoenix.

Another query… Do you give any credence to the tempur breeze technology that asserts they sleep cooler than the typical memory foam. And if so, do local manufacturers produce this type of mattress as well.

Thanks,

Taoliver

Hi Taoliver,

There are various different types of gel foams which you can see in post #2 here. Tempurpedic uses a very thin layer of gel that looks like it is “sprayed” on to their memory foam (#2 in the linked post) which would be among the least costly (and effective) methods of using gel compared to the amount of gel added in the other options.

Many (if not most) memory foam manufacturers have some version of gel memory foam mattresses that they have introduced in the last year or so that use gel foams with one or the other of the methods of adding gel to their foam (memory foam or otherwise).

Thermal conductive gel is one factor out of many that can contribute to the sleeping temperature of a mattress (and they are more effective when you are first on the mattress when there is a bigger temperature difference between you and the mattress and less effective when temperatures have evened out). You can read more about the many different factors that contribute to sleeping temperatures in post #16 here.

Phoenix

Phoenix,

Do you have any reviews for angelbeds.com. I’m going to visit the store this weekend and try a few of there mattresses.

Thanks,
Taoliver

Hi Taoliver,

Post #2 here has some of my thoughts about Anglbeds (and links to other local sources if you are in Houston and other online sources for those who are considering them as an online purchase).

It also has links to forum searches for Tranquility Mattress and Angelbeds so you can read any other feedback about them on the forum but I’m not sure if any of these are specific reviews of a mattress purchase (most people may have made there purchase elsewhere).

If you are looking at them as a local purchase … they would be well worth including in your research as long as you have all the information about the layers in each mattress you are considering so you can make meaningful comparisons with other mattresses that are available in the Houston area.

Phoenix

Phoenix,

My wife found a bed that she finds very comfortable today. What do you know about the Mlily Serenity mattress. Thanks for your help.

Hi Taooliver,

Post #2 here should be helpful. A forum search on mlily (you can just click this) will also bring up more information about them.

Knowing the quality and value of any specific mattress though would depend on your ability to find out the more detailed specs of all the layers in the mattress (including the memory foam and polyfoam densities of all the layers) because regardless of who makes it … a specific mattress is only as good as the construction and materials that are in it.

Phoenix