Memory Foam: Mid-Back pressure

Quick question, I ended up getting a King FoamX Plush (or endless dreams it’s now called) mattress from the mattress source, made by capitol bedding (Capitol Bedding - Michigan Mattress Manufacturer - Capitol Bedding - Hand Crafted Michigan Mattresses). I’m 6’5 and 250lbs, my GF is 5’3 and 110lbs, so this was a compromise between firmer for me and softer for her.

Initially I loved it, however we are now at the end of week 3 and for the last week or so I’ve noticed that my hips are sinking more than my back and I’m noticing pressure on the middle of my back. I knew that memory foam softens up over time, I was hoping not quite this much.

My question is if this is normal? I’ve come from a spring mattress, so I’m not used to memory foam and I’ve heard that memory foam is supposed to be more enveloping and supporting. I don’t wake up in pain, but it is harder to fall asleep with the pressure.

Thanks - John

Hi Warder45,

The mattress you purchased uses high quality materials and there are no weak links in the design but the comfort layers may be too thick or soft for you with your higher weight and it may have been “on the edge” when it was new and the normal break in period may have put you over the edge of the firmness range that is suitable for you (see post #2 here). There is only 2.25" of memory foam in your mattress but all materials will “break in” over the course of the first few weeks (not just memory foam) and become a little softer when the mattress is new (see post #3 here).

There is some information in post #2 here about the more common “symptoms” that people may experience on a mattress and some of the more common reasons for them that may be helpful but assuming that you are primarily a back sleeper the first thing I would try is a thinner pillow that doesn’t push your head as far forward and that provides good support under your neck because when you purchase a softer mattress that allows you to sink in more deeply then you may also need a thinner pillow to keep your head and neck in good alignment and prevent your head from being pushed forward which can cause neck, shoulder, or upper back issues.

Phoenix