Memory foam on top of latex?

Hello Phoenix (and Friends)!

I posted last year, but ended up deferring my mattress search. I think I’m finally getting to the point where my ~17-year-old mattress needs to go!

I’ve got a couple of quick questions:

• Is there any reason why a memory foam topper might NOT be advised on a mattress with a thin layer of latex in the comfort layer (I’m looking at the basic Luma, with 1.5" of medium Talalay as the comfort layer. I’m considering getting adding a 2" topper, probably the Aerus with 4lb density.)

• Is the difference in heat retention really noticeable with the Aerus (4 lb density, 2" thickness) compared to regular memory foam? I have been using a 2" memory foam topper (generic, from about 10-15 years ago) that seems to have a density of ~3.25 based on its weight/size. It’s really too worn out to keep at this point, but aside from that - it sleeps a bit too hot for me now. I was hoping to keep the same feel (2" of memory foam has worked well for me over years!) but to reduce the heat retention, if possible.

I think/hope that the basic Luma with a 2" Aerus topper will get me something close to what I’ve got now (but a little better with the pocket coils, and more durable with the latex). I’m planning to have a call with the Luma folks, of course, but am trying to get my thoughts sorted out a bit before then.

Thank you for your help, and for the amazing trove of information you provide!
-NB

Hi NB,

Welcome back! You certainly have got your money’s worth out of that old mattress!

This would really come down to your own personal preference, but there would be no overriding reason to not use a memory foam topper over latex, and I actually compare the benefits/drawbacks of either a memory foam or latex topper in post #2 here.

Aerus memory foam is designed to be more breathable than the earlier generation of memory foams. You can read more about this here from FXI.
ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint: fxi.com/foam-products/bedding/aerus.php
There have been advances in the newer generation of memory foams overall as compared to “regular” or your 10-15 year old memory foam topper, with more open cells and also larger windows in the cells. This “first improvement wave” of memory foam changes occurred around 2010 with researchers making changes to reactivity, functionality and polyols to create more open-cell structures. As far as if you will feel a difference, that is of course a part of your completed mattress system and how deeply you are sinking into your mattress, but overall this layer should move more air through it than your old topper, but memory foam would still move less air generally than latex or polyfoam.

Excellent! I’m glad you’ll be taking the time to speak directly with Luma before making a potential purchase. They are very knowledgeable about latex and various combinations (and they’re also site members here, which means that I think highly of them), and they can help you choose a combination that might best suit your needs. I’ll be interested to learn what you decide to do.

You’re very welcome!

Phoenix

Thank you for the additional information! It’s really interesting to hear about the changes to memory foam over the last decade. Memory foam seems so odd to me… perhaps because my topper is only 2 inches, I haven’t had most of the problems that others have had (re: sinking in, not being able to move, etc.) I have tried the Temperpedic - and there was no way for me to get comfortable on that… it was very hard to move, and I felt like the bed was beating me up!

The 17-year old mattress that I have now is actually too HARD (even after 17 years) to sleep on without the topper! I tried, recently, and had to remake the bed with the topper at 1am to get comfortable enough to fall asleep!

Thanks again for the help. I’m eager to get this figured out, and hopefully share my success and mattress story here too, after reading so many others’ stories for long! :slight_smile: I wish it were easier!

Hi NB,

I’ll be interested to learn what you decide to do.

Phoenix