Memory Foam, Open Cell, Closed Cell, weights etc

I forgot to say that I have not weight it, but I can verify that the mattress although only 8.5 inches thick, must be close to 90 lbs. thatā€™s just an estimate however.

Itā€™s heavy.

I suppose the possibilities I can think of are the same you have thought of:

• itā€™s different foam from what you tested
  • itā€™s the same foam as tested, but within the allowable variation for making the foam
  • itā€™s the same foam as tested, and it actually would feel the same if you tried it side by side whatā€™s in store, but you simply donā€™t like it

I have nothing especially useful to add, except I think your idea of working with the company is a good one.

Depending on your enjoyment of experimenting, and what the store says, you could try adding a mattress pad or quilt on top, and seeing if that helps any. Based on what youā€™ve said, it may be a long shot. Itā€™d basically try to keep less heat from getting to the memory foam. That said, from how Iā€™m reading your post, the foam is quite significantly softer than expected and minor tweaks may be insufficient.

I think either point 1 or 2 is true.

Hi The_brooke,

I donā€™t think I can add much that hasnā€™t already been mentioned as a possibility but the first thing I would do is talk with them about your experience and what your options are.

While memory foam ILDā€™s are mostly meaningless in comparison to other types of foam (they can change with temperature, humidity, and the length of time they are compressed), and the slow recovery of the memory foam produces different ILD results compared with other foam types ā€¦ having a range from 10 (on the softer end of the memory foam scale) to 18 (which would be a firm memory foam even though this would be soft with other foam types) is unusual. Most memory foams are ā€œratedā€ in a much narrower range.

Phoenix

Alright, I sent an email to them today explaining everything.

Lets see what happens. Its strange that the memory foam is different from what they have in the store to test. Ive had no response as of yet, so I know they are taking it seriously.

More to follow.

Hi The_brooke,

I would probably consider calling and talking to them on the phone.

I donā€™t think itā€™s something that I would use email for which could take days or weeks of back and forth questions and answers to do the same thing as a single phone call.

Emails are great for something that can be answered in a single sentence with no ā€œit dependsā€ or any complexity in the answer but if itā€™s any more complex than this I would always use the phone.

Phoenix

Iā€™m going in tomorrow after work. I work until 6, therefore I have to wait until Thursday (tomorrow) to go. Iā€™ll update tomorrow night. They are really nice people. Iā€™m sure weā€™ll work something out. B)

Here is my update

Iā€™ve had a night and a brutal yoga practice to help me absorb what happened to me last night.

With out going into to much detail because I donā€™t feel that itā€™s appropriate, the owner was quite rude to me, accused me of being a ā€œcertain type of personā€ basically degrading me personally. He also told me that he was talking to others who work at the store about how he felt that they would have problems doing business with a person like me (I was not ready to ask what exactly he meant by that because I was trying to keep it professional and stay to the point).

I explained how I believed that there might be a problem with the memory foam on my bed since it is not at all like the memory foam in the bed in the store (I did order the 5lb foam but I was told that it would feel exactly the same as the 4lb foam on the bed in the store).

The owner of the store did not believe me, and told me that the problem was with ā€œmeā€ and not the bed. I asked him how he verifies that the density of foam is correct before he manufactures beds, and he replied to me ā€œshould I order 12ā€ x 12" x 12" blocks of foam and weight them?"

To which I replied ā€œyes, that would be a good idea to verify the quality of the material that you are selling to your customersā€.

He told me that foam was a formula, and that the company does not make any errors. This statement did not make sense to me because he had already told me that the foam could turn out with in a huge range of variances.

I donā€™t know what ā€œkindā€ of person that I am, but can say that I had sent dozens of people to his store over the past 4 weeks, and posted nice things here and on Facebook.

I asked one more time if he would verify the weight and quality of the foam in my bed, since the entire reason and premis for me purchasing the bed was the high quality memory foam that I felt in the store (very similar to how a tempur feels). I explained how Ii felt that maybe there were not enougnt chemicals in my foam since it lacks a visco property that I was expecting.

He told me that the foam was fine and that when he delivered it in the truck it felt hard when he touched it (therefore to him it was fine). To me this is not adequate test. I find this quite subjected no? also careless.

It was a very unprofessional way of dealing with a customer, and I left the store in a very upset state.

In my opinion, it does not seem like they have any control over the quality or properties of the foam that they order. If you order a bed, maybe it will be ok, maybe not. If you are not very sensitive then maybe you will not be able to tell the difference, if you are sensitive, maybe it would be the opposite.

I would not recommend doing business with 7futons after my experience. I can only tell of my experience and from my perspective however.

I litterally do not want to walk past the store again. But is blocks from where I love and practice yoga :frowning:

Hi The_brooke,

Iā€™m sorry youā€™ve had a bad experience. Thatā€™s never funā€¦

For something you can do: If you want to know the density, itā€™s pretty easy. Just weigh the layer. How Iā€™ve done it in the past is to weigh myself, then weigh myself holding the layer, and calculate the difference (I roll the layer up and hold on my shoulder). To ensure the scale is correct, repeat the process but instead of the layer of memory foam hold something with a known weight (20 kg bag of salt for water softener, heavy cat liter bag, an actual weightlifting weight) and ensure the scale produces a result consistent with the known weight.

Then measure the layer, length, width, height. Then calculate density. If you arenā€™t comfortable doing it feel free to post the measurements here. You might have some recourse with the retailer if the foam isnā€™t at or very close to 5 lbs density, or if the sale agreement has a provision for returns/exchanges.

My personal guess is along the lines that ther 4lbs foam does not feel the same (to you) as the 5lbs foam. Being as theyā€™re not identical, they will feel different somehow.

Thank you for the reply.

Yes the 5lb foam that I have seems to be more of the really soft faster responding kind (which I subjectively question is even 5lb foam)

The 4lb that was in the floor was more like. Tempur type. Slow responding. I was told however that hey would be exactly the same just that the 5lb would last longer.

As for weighingā€¦the memory foam layer is laminated to the support layer, so I can not get it off. I could try to weight the entire mattress?

I

If you know the density of all layers then yes you can do it fairly accurately. Weigh the whole thing and then post that. Measure the length and width, and the height of each layer. Post here and Iā€™ll show my work so you can see how itā€™s done.

If there is a discrepancy you wonā€™t entirely know why precisely. But we can start with the projected vs actuals first.

Ok. I will aquire a scale, and roll the mattress up
Into the plastic bag it came in.

More to follow. It might take a few days.

Thank you so much for you help!

Hi The_brooke,

Different types of memory foam can have very different properties and respond to heat, humidity, the length of time it is compressed when you lie on it, and to pressure in different ways. One of the variables when you change a layer (or two) of foam in a mattress vs what you tested is that the final result can be different in surprising ways because of the differences in the foams or in the design of the mattress.

5 lb memory foam can feel softer or firmer than 4 lb memory foam because density itself is only part of how a memory foam feels and responds and there are many other memory foam properties that can affect the perception of softness/firmness outside of any differences in the materials in the support layer of the mattress which can make a difference as well. As an example ā€¦ Tempurpedics 7 lb memory foam is softer and more adaptive than their 5 lb memory foam and their 4 lb memory foam is softer yet but less conforming.

Iā€™m also sorry to hear about your experiences.

Itā€™s usually a good idea to make sure you know what your options are after a purchase when you buy a mattress that has a different design or uses different materials from what you tested because the differences between seemingly small design changes can be surprising and are also somewhat subjective.

Do they normally provide any options to change out any of the layers in your mattress or exchange the mattress for another model (different stores can have very different policies and options)?

Phoenix

Thank you Phoenix and I completely understand.

The i didnā€™t make really any changes to the design. I just asked for 3lb foam instead of 2.5, and i used their 5lb memory foam instead of 4lb. But I was told that despite the 5Lb being heavier, that it would feel exactly the same. I was told the 5lb was the old foam and still available. The guy handed me a block of 4lb and a block of 5lb and said squeeze and you will see they feel exactly the same, just that the 4 lb would be more open cell and sleep cooler, and that the 5 lb would be closed cell and sleep warmer but last longer.

They do not have any kind of policy for returns or exchanges. My request was to replace the memory foam layer with the material I was told that I would get, and used on the floor model to test (the more hard type of memory foam). If at any time I was told that the 5lb foam was soft and not very visco, I would not have asked for it because that would have gone against the premiss of my purchase .

The idea that I get is that they didnā€™t know, or have no control upon how the foam comes out. So sometimes it could be one way and sometimes it could be another.

Hi The_brooke,

These are both design changes vs what you tested. I thought that you had also added an extra 1/2" of memory foam to the design which could also make a difference.

Unfortunately you canā€™t tell what a foam would feel like to sleep on just by squeezing it ā€¦ especially with memory foam which can change with heat, humidity, and the length of time it is compressed. You need to lie on it for a long enough period of time in the position you actually sleep in to be able to feel what the difference may be.

This is not to defend the way you were treated in any way but this can be very subjective and even if say 6 out of 10 people donā€™t feel any significant difference ā€¦ some of the others might. Itā€™s possible that the extra thickness, the difference in the foam support layer, and the different memory foams are all part of why your mattress feels different from what you tested.

They donā€™t make the actual foam so they donā€™t control itā€™s properties but the same type of foam made by a reputable foam manufacturer (such as Vita) would normally be fairly close in terms of its properties from batch to batch with only relatively minor variations although the specific design of a mattress (foam type, foam firmness and other properties, layer thickness, type of cover etc) will have the biggest effect on how it feels and performs.

Phoenix

I agree with everything you have said.

It is strange how the foam seems to have such a high variance too. I could speculate as to why. But it would just be speculation.

Maybe large manufacturers order large quantities at a more specific specification, and those orders are ā€œpiggy backedā€ on maybe ?