Memory foam options

Hey Phoenix, I have a question. I’m sure the answer can be found somewhere deep in this forum but I am hoping someone can help me out here. I have been looking for a memory foam mattress and almost purchased the Bob-o-pedic. I found this Bodipedic Gel memory foam mattress on overstock.com for much less at $549

http://www.overstock.com/zh/Home-Garden/Bodipedic-Essentials-10-inch-Gel-Memory-Foam-King-size-Mattress/7957374/product.html?refccid=STA26EXMELCI4VSOME33M2WABA&searchidx=6

I don’t want to buy something I will regret, but at the same time I don’t want to spend $3000 on a Tempurpedic. Please advise if Bodipedic is decent or if there is something decent in the $1000 price range. I know density plays a big role, but I’ve seen lower density (below 4) memory foam mattresses rated higher than higher density (above 4) mattresses.

Hi MikeD23,

The minimum guidelines I would use for a memory foam mattress are listed in post #10 here and the Bodipedic doesn’t meet them (it uses 3 lb memory foam) which means I would avoid it.

A forum search on Bodipedic (you can just click this) will bring up a few more comments about as well that you can scan through.

I also pay very little attention to “ratings” or reviews about mattresses (see post #13 here) because almost none of them have any idea about the quality of the mattress they purchased and buying a mattress based on how it “feels” for someone else or a group of other people is among the worst ways to choose a mattress. The “feel” of a mattress is very subjective and unique to each person based on body type, sleeping positions, and individual perceptions.

Some of the better online options and possibilities for memory foam mattresses are listed in post #12 here for those who are looking in an online direction vs a local purchase.

Phoenix

Thank you so much for your quick and thorough response

Isn’t bedinabox 3lb memory foam? I thought the higher the lb the more firm it is

Hi doghousesnoopy,

Yes … you can read a little more about bedinabox in post #2 here

Density is most closely connected to the durability of memory foam and is not directly connected to how firm memory foam feels which depends on many other factors including its temperature response, its response time, and its contouring ability. You can read a little more about the various characteristics of different types of memory foam in post #9 here and post #8 here but these are controlled more by the combination of chemicals used to make the foam than by just the density. It’s often true that for most people 4 lb memory foam will feel firmer than most 5 lb memory foam but this is only based on averages and isn’t always the case. In the case of Tempurpedic for example their 7 lb memory foam feels softer than their 5.3 lb memory foam for most people.

Phoenix