Memory foam question

I recently purchased an omf serenity memory foam mattress. I Ike it, but it may e a bit firm for my wife. I have lower back issues and for me the support and comfort are good, though it may be a bit warm.

We’ve only had the mattress 5 days–should we expect it to soften or break in?

Also, are there any toppers (latex or memory foam). we should consider that might soften it without negating the features of the mattress-what should we be looking for? Could we flip the mattress and apply a topper as another option? Thanks.

Hi Jack12,

Yes … all new mattresses will go through an initial “break in” period over the first few weeks (up to 90 days or so in the case of higher density foams) and you will also go through an adjustment period in this same time (usually less than 30 days although this can be longer or shorter depending on the person) as your body gets used to sleeping on a new sleeping surface. You can read a bit more about this (and some suggestions to speed up the break in period or other causes that can change the feel of a memory foam mattress and how it conforms) in post #2 here.

I wouldn’t consider adding a topper for 30 days or so (or at the very least 2 weeks) so that you don’t end up adding a topper to a mattress which is still changing in terms of its feel and performance. A memory foam mattress is also one sided and the bottom is meant for support so if it becomes necessary I would add a topper to the comfort layers that are already there so that you can take better advantage of the memory foam that is already there rather than putting them on the bottom of your mattress and having to use much thicker layers of memory foam on top of the support layers.

If it becomes necessary … there are some guidelines for choosing toppers and links to some of the better sources I’m aware of in post #2 here and the posts it links to.

Phoenix